Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 13th March 2012, 14:42   #1
ESP2012

Losing Track Info [PLEASE MOVE TO CORRECT FORUM - SORRY]

Hi, I'm a newcomer to Winamp (within the last couple of weeks AND the forum with a doozy of start!) and suddenly I realise there is something not quite right. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I haven't readily been able to search for it.
I decided on Winamp Pro because I was fed up with iToons and wanted a Flac capability. I began to rip my classical CD collection to laptop, after trying out a couple of random albums from my collection with every sign of success (the Remaster of The Wall sounds great).
All was going just fine until last night when I noticed that the track info just would not 'stick' for my copy of Beethoven's Piano Concertos 4 and 5. Only the third track seemed OK. I kept trying to encourage the process to register the data for all 6 tracks, but it wouldn't. I then found that the tracks wouldn't play either, even though they show and look OK in the playlist.
I finally spotted that intermittently, this has occurred on a wide range of the CDs I have ripped over the last few days, but I cannot see an obvious pattern. I see that in the actual storage folder the file icons are also different.
Without me going into further detail about the whole setup of my computer, etc, at this point, can anyone suggest what is causing the problem and how to address it, please?
It's a new laptop, running Windows 7 and the latest version of Winamp Pro with official(?) staff plug-in. I tried one of the CDs with both Flac and WAV output with identical bad results and then ripped the same CD successfully into iToons.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by ESP2012; 13th March 2012 at 14:54. Reason: Accidentally put in wrong forum area?
ESP2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 17:45   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi

What is your "naming convention" specified in: Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > CD Ripping > Output File Settings tab?

Please could you explain what you meant by "the file icons are also different".
Is it possible that the filename is too large (Windows limit is 260-characters)
and therefore the .flac file extension isn't being written to the actual filename.
This would result in an extensionless file with matching icon....

Make sure you can view file extensions for known filetypes in Windows Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab.
Do the files which play & read ok have the .flac extension, whereas the ones which don't are extensionless?

This can happen especially with Classical CDs, where the Artist + Album + Title combination can end up creating a path/filename of well over the Windows 260 character limit.

Also, what is this "official staff plug-in" that you referred to?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 18:46   #3
ESP2012

You May Have Cracked It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Hi

What is your "naming convention" specified in: Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > CD Ripping > Output File Settings tab?

Please could you explain what you meant by "the file icons are also different".
Is it possible that the filename is too large (Windows limit is 260-characters)
and therefore the .flac file extension isn't being written to the actual filename.
This would result in an extensionless file with matching icon....

Make sure you can view file extensions for known filetypes in Windows Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab.
Do the files which play & read ok have the .flac extension, whereas the ones which don't are extensionless?

This can happen especially with Classical CDs, where the Artist + Album + Title combination can end up creating a path/filename of well over the Windows 260 character limit.

Also, what is this "official staff plug-in" that you referred to?
Dear Doctor, thank you for replying so quickly. I suspect that you have hit the nail on the head: as soon as I read your response, it made complete sense. Obviously I had not thought about it previously, but the length of those classical titles can be quite something! Looking at a couple of examples, it looks as though what you have highlighted is probably the cause - the filename is truncated in each case.

So, to address your questions for the benefit of others reading:-

1) Naming convention is: <Artist> - <Album>\<Artist> - <Album>

2) File icons in the Windows folder are little blank folders, whereas the functional files have a folder with a wave-form in it. I hope that makes sense.

3) The files that do not play have either no extension or a partial one. (I had previously put that down to corrupted or incomplete data).

4) The 'official staff plug-in' I mention is the one described as being created by the Winamp Team in their spare time with added album art functionality, etc. Can't find the darn thing now!
Old 13th March 2012, 18:48   #4
ESP2012

Anyway, I'm at the extremes of wi-fi reception, so will just say sincere thanks for the help - I will now spend some time to confirm that the diagnosis is spot on.
Old 13th March 2012, 19:35   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Cool. I had a feeling that it might have something to do with it....

Maybe try using this 'Naming Convention' instead?

<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>

Though even THAT might result in the filename exceeding the 260-character limit in some cases.
Always check the CD Info first before ripping (select all tracks in CD view > rt-click first track > Edit CD Info).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 19:45   #6
ESP2012

Job Done :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Cool. I had a feeling that it might have something to do with it....

Maybe try using this 'Naming Convention' instead?

<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>

Though even THAT might result in the filename exceeding the 260-character limit in some cases.
Always check the CD Info first before ripping (select all tracks in CD view > rt-click first track > Edit CD Info).
Thanks - it seems eggsaxactly as you thought. I've just ripped a couple of the errant CDs with no problem and can now go back to the rest that had the same symptoms knowing what the cause was. Obviously the default Winamp settings don't suit classical buffs!
Maybe I will have less problem with my rock collection. However, I will try to remember to check in future. I've got a long way to go to get them all on HDD.
Old 13th March 2012, 22:15   #7
ujay
Forum King

Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure the 'destination folder for ripped tracks' is as short as possible, this is included in the character count as well.

I use D:\Rips

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 07:28   #8
ESP2012

Shorter Destination Folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujay View Post
Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure the 'destination folder for ripped tracks' is as short as possible, this is included in the character count as well.

I use D:\Rips

UJ
Thanks - good tip.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
album data, ripping, track