Old 21st June 2007, 10:47   #1
4TR3X

5.1 Surround Sound Not Working.

Hi am new to the boards but not Winamp.

What I have is Realtek HD Audio with the latest drivers and all setup and working in the Realtek HD Audio program(in the test the sound(noise :P) goes to the correct speakers).

Now I have only had the Realtek since March(upgrade mobo) and I am sure it was all working at 1 point without a hitch, but the other day whenever I opened up Winamp it would crash and I would have to End Program. So I uninstalled and reinstalled still no good, so I uninstalled restarted and reinstalled and voila all good(reinstalled with latest version from this site as of yesterday).

Anyways I put some music on and found it was only working in desktop speaker mode(both Realtek software and Microsoft is set to 5.1). Also when I play games they work ok without a hitch, but Media Player also suffers the same issue as Winamp.

I have checked the codecs in the Winamp Preferences -> Output and(DirectSound Output v2.47 (d) [out_ds.dll]) in the codec settings it states the Windows device info with Primary Sound Driver selected(makes no difference if it is Realtek HD Audio instead all the same settings are there also no difference if hardware acceleration is set. After each change I restarted Winamp) it states Speaker Setup: 5.1

Any ideas?
4TR3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 02:59   #2
link2009

Oh my god, I have the EXACT same problem.

My solution is WinDVD set to 6-Speaker mode, but I want my Winamp to handle surround sound....
link2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 03:05   #3
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Have you performed ALL the steps listed in this thread?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=66049
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 03:46   #4
link2009

Okay, I don't have the 'Speaker Fill' option in my properties dialog at all. Any other ideas?
Old 15th August 2007, 03:59   #5
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Are you running Vista? The FAQ says the Speaker Fill option is exclusive to that OS.

Did you see this and proceed as advised?

Q: Why do none of my players play in 5.1/7.1 surround?
A: Go into your soundcard's control panel and make sure 5.1/7.1 speakers are selected instead of stereo speakers. Make sure Windows is also set up accordingly, eg.
Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel > Volume tab > Speaker Settings > Advanced
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 13:43   #6
link2009

My apologies, I haven't actually specified anything.

I'm using Vista x64 (64-Bit) Ultimate .

I've followed all the instructions in the entire topic and I went even further with the Speaker Fill option in other posts to try and find a solution but I simply do not that have option in my Enhancements tab.

I've set 'Hardware Acceleration' on, I've made sure DirectSound Out is being used and I turned up the volume to max on everything.

Am I doing some wrong?
Old 15th August 2007, 13:49   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

drivers for 64bit windows are sometimes incomplete with features.

they start off with basic functionality then they add features with new releases.

so my suggestion to you is to update your drivers to the latest version for 64bit vista. and hope they added that feature.

i don't think their is any way to get most features out of a soundblaster(except x-fi) at all. creative have hopeless driver support.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 14:02   #8
link2009

I have a Realtek HD Audio onboard sound card on my Gigabyte Motherboard.

I'm using the latest DIGITALLY-SIGNED by Microsoft drivers from Realtek R 1.73. I doubt they would add that feature later if it isn't available now.
Old 28th August 2007, 23:06   #9
link2009

So, is this hopeless? The only way I get it working with Winamp is by setting all the Speakers to Front Speakers, but the sound is completely distorted, bass gets sent to every speaker.
Old 23rd September 2007, 17:58   #10
link2009

Problem still occurring today.
Old 23rd September 2007, 18:15   #11
Soulboy31

I think your problem might be vista. A lot of programs you use with winxp might not function properly with vista. So vist just might be the entire problem.
Soulboy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 23:39   #12
link2009

Well, thanks for that suggestion Soulboy31, but the newest drivers are from 01/22/08, so I guess they HAD to have made it compatible with Vista.

I am still experiencing this problem! It's been 2 years, does ANYBODY have any new suggestions?

Please, help me resolve this silly problem.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:04   #13
lokki

Hi link2009. I encountered the same problem. I have a Gigabyte 8i945gmf mb with incorporated realtek soundchip running Windows Vista ultimate. The problem seems to be voodoo related. It makes no sense. The surround speakers (5.1) work fine when tested in windows control panel and even in driver's own utility but they won't work in any other application (wimamp, video players etc). Whatever you do it's only center, front and subwoffer speakers that play. No sound from the rear/side speakers. Ok. I've updated Vista, Realtek drivers, tried all on every forum. No success. I finally managed a workaround that works for me. Here it is: do not install a Vista driver - instead try a XP one. The one currently used on my computer is Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.1.5392 (for x64 machines). Go to the control panel and check rear speakers instead of default side speakers, and speaker fill box in control panel or in driver's own application (it's present in this ver of driver though not in Vista ver). Now you can hear dolby surround. If you can't find (google-ing for it might work) the specified driver and if it's not too late I'll be happy to send it to you somehow.
lokki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 18:42   #14
Dutch-Baroque

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound Not Working.

Quote:
Originally posted by 4TR3X
Hi am new to the boards but not Winamp.

What I have is Realtek HD Audio with the latest drivers and all setup and working in the Realtek HD Audio program(in the test the sound(noise :P) goes to the correct speakers).

Now I have only had the Realtek since March(upgrade mobo) and I am sure it was all working at 1 point without a hitch, but the other day whenever I opened up Winamp it would crash and I would have to End Program. So I uninstalled and reinstalled still no good, so I uninstalled restarted and reinstalled and voila all good(reinstalled with latest version from this site as of yesterday).

Anyways I put some music on and found it was only working in desktop speaker mode(both Realtek software and Microsoft is set to 5.1). Also when I play games they work ok without a hitch, but Media Player also suffers the same issue as Winamp.

I have checked the codecs in the Winamp Preferences -> Output and(DirectSound Output v2.47 (d) [out_ds.dll]) in the codec settings it states the Windows device info with Primary Sound Driver selected(makes no difference if it is Realtek HD Audio instead all the same settings are there also no difference if hardware acceleration is set. After each change I restarted Winamp) it states Speaker Setup: 5.1

Any ideas?
It is also not working in Vista with High definition audio 7.1 surround by Microsoft it crash
Dutch-Baroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 05:38   #15
Petrograd

I have Realtek HD Audio too, and, using a 5.1 system, I have trouble with my rear speakers only, not the side ones.

The problem appears in Winamp, and doesn't affect me in Youtube for instance.

Interestingly, it's not even always in Winamp, only some videos get affected. I used GSpot to detect when it occured and when it didn't. Apparently

mp4a
MPEG-1 Layer 3 0x0055
MPEG-1 Layer 2 0xc0:

are bad, while

PCM Audio
wma v2

are fine.

I guess that makes it even more likely to be plugin related. I included the plugin file. I installed the latest winamp version, but I haven't done the clean slate thing yet, I guess that's what I'm most likely to be recommended to do. Just hoped this would be a recognizable problem.

I use WinXp for the record.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (8.4 KB, 617 views)
Petrograd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 11:59   #16
Petrograd

Actually, this problem does occur on Youtube too... How the heck could I not notice this?

This is confusing me... why does the Realtek Manager, and SOME videos on Winamp work, but not other videos, and not Youtube... boggle. Well, I guess that means it's not a winamp related issue.
Old 12th July 2008, 19:38   #17
Petrograd

Apparently *my* problem was (probably) unrelated to everything before in the thread, but in case someone else gets the same problem; I figured out the problem by searching around on these forums. It was related to ffdshow, I used the Reset to recommended settings thing and that solved it.
Old 26th July 2008, 09:47   #18
andylinton

Hi, I'm new to Surround; I'm trying to play 5.1 wav files, but I get the message "Error creating Direct Sound Buffer. Error code 80070057".

I've read all the above, and the 'greatest hits' entry, but no joy.

Any help please?

Thanks,

Andy.

Oh, I'm sorry: Windows Vista Busines, Winamp 5.54 new install.

Last edited by andylinton; 26th July 2008 at 11:15.
andylinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 01:15   #19
brody456

if you haveing problem with winamp and vista try all you have to do is right click winamp.exe and select properties and select compatibility and run as xp sp2
brody456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 00:37   #20
ROBOBRIEN

If this problem has not been resolved yet, I just found a solution to it! I am running windows 7 64bit with Realtek HD audio. I too had no sound coming from my side speakers in my 5.1 setup. What I did was Control panel> sounds> click speakers> properties> Dolby> and then check the Dolby Prologic IIx.

Hope this helps, I have been hunting for a solution for ages but I wondered what that feature did today and now I know!
ROBOBRIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 22:24   #21
ccrc28

Winamp 5.1 center speaker no sound [solved]

- Winamp v5.623 x86
- Win7 pro x64
- Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty pro series
- Optical digital out

# PROBLEM SOLVED: No sound from center speaker 5.1 mix output when play stereo music in Winamp, as well 2ch vídeos in MPC-HC.

HERE GOES how I finally got it working:

1-) Windows 7 > Start menu > Control Panel > Sound > duble click in "Creative SB X-FI Speakers" device > go to "Sound Blaster" tab then UNcheck "Disable Sound Blaster Enhancements" option.

2-) Windows 7 > Star menu > All programs > Creative > "Creative Console Laucher" > in "decoder" menu select "Dolby Digital Live".

3-) "Creative Console Launcher > in "X-FI CMSS-3D" menu > do CHECK "Active X-FI CMSS-3D" option, then choose "surround" mix mode and set envelop dial at his center arrow.

PS: To play vídeos in MPC-HC with sound in center speaker, just do CHECK the "Disable Sound Blaster Enhancements" instead as meant at nº 01 above.
ccrc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support