Old 29th March 2009, 01:42   #1
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Wireless lan

I know this isn't a "winblows is shit support forum". I'm going to ask anyway.

For awhile now my wireless lan card decides at random to connect to a network that isn't mine. I can't surf the net or do anything on this network, but there it is. I know it's connecting thus A) I can visit the web-based config pages on 192.168.1.1 (mine and the rouge networks APs use different http servers it seems) and B) I can look up the MAC addresses via arp -a and see that they are different.

So, now I have the mac addresses, both the one I want and the one I want to avoid. I added the one I don't want to my firewalls block list, but it seems I can still connect to it by accident. I can't attempt to connect to the web-based config, thats blocked, but it still connects.

So, what I want to do is set my wireless connection up to only accept the access-point with the mac address that is actually mine. Or block connection to the MAC address that isn't. However, winblows doesn't give me these options in setting up my wireless network options, I only have basic options. Those options are exactly the same and appear to be the same network, for both my network and the rouge network I keep accidentally connecting to.

SO. (tl;dr), anyone know any wireless config utilities out there that can define the desired/only MAC address of an AP to connect to? I know it can be done the other way around, but that doesn't help me at all.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 03:02   #2
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
You're not likely to find a third party wireless config utility that is better than the one bundled with Windows. It's something Microsoft got right.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 04:47   #3
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

What version of windows are you running? O_o
Old 29th March 2009, 05:30   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Somewhere in there is a setting to allow logins only on your own SSID. Give your router a unique SSID and set the wlan card to log in only on that SSID. I could probably give step by step instructions, but you should be able to figure it out just by looking.

If you are using antique windows (and it should still have the ability to do this), use the software that came with the card. It certainly does.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 05:58   #5
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Hmm, the routers not mine and I don't want to make everyone else in the house reset their properties when they aren't having problems, but if it's the only option then I might have to go for it. There is an SSID assigned, but it's the default 'netgear'. The rouge networks web-based config has a unique name, so I assumed that wasn't the problem, but the name could be different to the SSID. Although I would think that the same company would use the same http server on all of it's machines and this is definitely a different one. And theres no option to only connect to the one SSID, although I can see how 2 routers with the same SSID could conflict.
Really, I should just try and convince my flatmate, who owns the router and everythings under his name, to beef up the security. But I suspect his reaction will be 'meh'.
Old 29th March 2009, 06:23   #6
Rellik
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Bags
What version of windows are you running? O_o
That would be Windows XP SP2 or above
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 08:01   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/net.png[/img]

This is the screen you are looking for. There is another wlan one of my neighbors has that is unsecured, but it is not on the list and therefore won't be connected to unless I purposefully do it. In your case "netgear" as the SSID would probably do the trick as long as your neighbors isn't the same.

It's completely stupid to run unsecured because you are exposing the fileshares of all of the computers in your lan to anyone.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 29th March 2009 at 08:34.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:39   #8
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
That would be Windows XP SP2 or above
Then it fails...

It has a WEP key and stuff... I have no idea if the neighbours thingee is netgear as well, since it would fuck up if it is I have no way of knowing ether. BTW I'm drunk right now.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:36   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Seriously. The XP WLAN config utility is the best I've seen, and I work in networking.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 29th March 2009, 15:40   #10
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
indeed, which is probably why the one in Vista seems identical

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 16:49   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Bags
I'm drunk right now.
OK. You've passed out and woke up again by now. It should be easy. Just wait on that Baileys in your coffee.
Old 29th March 2009, 20:30   #12
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Ok, drunken FTW aside now, and despite the fact that I should do it right, and despite the fact(?) that windows has the best wireless config utility, is there any way that I could filter AP's by mac address?
Old 29th March 2009, 22:14   #13
Rellik
Major Dude

Not sure about that, but all you should have to do is move your AP to the top of the list:
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 01:24   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

You don't want any routers on that list that you didn't want to connect to. What happens if your router is down? You didn't want to connect at the neighbors house. You should remove any routers listed there, except your own.

Quote:
is there any way that I could filter AP's by mac address?
I don't think so. The router does have a MAC address, but the only way I've ever seen it used is when the router is a repeater. So... like you have a router hooked to the internet and then you have a wireless link to a second router(repeater)to extend the range of the wlan.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 30th March 2009 at 01:40.
Old 30th March 2009, 02:33   #15
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

The router's MAC address is used with every frame you send.

I don't see why you don't change your SSID, Paul.

Old 30th March 2009, 02:41   #16
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
You don't want any routers on that list that you didn't want to connect to. What happens if your router is down? You didn't want to connect at the neighbors house. You should remove any routers listed there, except your own.
The only router listed there is my own, thats why I'm confused and why I want to specify by MAC but:
Quote:
I don't think so. The router does have a MAC address, but the only way I've ever seen it used is when the router is a repeater. So... like you have a router hooked to the internet and then you have a wireless link to a second router(repeater)to extend the range of the wlan.
I think your right .
Old 30th March 2009, 03:25   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/wlan.png[/img]

Find the screen in my earlier post and remove all entries, making sure that "Use windows to configure my wireless settings" is checked.

So instead of "retro" you'd see no entries.

In this picture you'll see my router "retro" and the router of some dumb ass unsecured neighbor. I don't know who. "Refresh network list" will find routers in range.

I use this screen to connect to "retro" and it automatically will show up in the screen we just deleted everything from. In my case it will ask for the "passphrase" but if the router is open it won't. System configured. You may now proceed with your normal life Do not click on the other router as it will end up in the list and you didn't want it there. If for some reason you "drop", the wifi card should just reconnect automatically.

I don't understand... if your SSID is different from the wrong lan.... it shouldn't ever connect to it... unless you connected to it before and left it in the preferred list...

In the USA connecting to the wrong lan, even an unsecured one, can become a legal issue.... as stupid as that seems...

Last edited by rockouthippie; 30th March 2009 at 03:44.
Old 30th March 2009, 04:29   #18
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
I don't understand... if your SSID is different from the wrong lan.... it shouldn't ever connect to it... unless you connected to it before and left it in the preferred list...

In the USA connecting to the wrong lan, even an unsecured one, can become a legal issue.... as stupid as that seems...
It must be the SSID then, because my setup already looked like you described, but I followed your steps anyway , and it still looks like you described and it still connects to the wrong lan.
And tough, they haven't changed their SSID from the default ether . (and I'm not in the USA)

Makes me wonder why AP's don't come with the default SSID set to the serial number or something... Now I'll have to explain to my flatmate why he should let me mess around with his router, and that discussion can wait for another day.
Old 30th March 2009, 08:24   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

The only thing I can think of..... maybe both routers are on the same channel?

Channel 1 would be default, so maybe that is making it haywire somehow.

There is no difference in USA routers and elsewhere. You just get a couple more channels above the band that is legal in the US.

I always fiddle with that and avoid channel 1 and other routers. Some channels will work better than others.. I think possibly avoiding cordless phone interference.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions