Old 8th October 2009, 22:59   #1
Red Sackles

Shoutcast unable to display long titels in metadata

Hello

I have been working on something rather unusual.
I use SamBroadcaster and since it doenst nativly support relaying MetaData have been building a application that can take the metadata out of winamp and inser it into Sambroadcaster.

now during development i came acros a problem. it seems that when the shoutcast server revices metadata that is more then 132 chareters long it truncated the metadata but not only that it displays the streaming password publicly.

how do i know the problem lies with Shoutcast?
I had to test which end was at fault the source or the destination. Now things just work better when you start at the beginning so i tested the outdgoing stream for the metadata (using wireshark). result the source does in fact send the complete metadata.
(i also fount that the streaming passowrd is sent cleartext in the meta update)

ok so why would some one even need more then 132 chareters of metadata. well i need to push a lot more then just the artis, title and station name thru the encoders in oder to get to from one instance of sam to the other. because this metadata is time critical winamp turnd out to be the best solution of matching the metadata with the audio. by the way this is of cause not ment for a public server its only a server between the source and desitination (comparible to a relay serve)

a little research dugested that the protocol schould be able to handdle 4080 chareters (now that schould be more then even this application could posibly need)
source
http://www.smackfu.com/stuff/programming/shoutcast.html

ok what have i been using while i came acros this problem

shoutcast server version 1.9.8 for win32

Is there a means of allowing Shoutcast to handle larger amounts of metadata?
somthing that i might have overlookt in the config?
(I did search but this is probably to rear or wacky)
Red Sackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 05:58   #2
Nick@ss

Nope, its a known issue im afraid.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:39   #3
Greg_E
Major Dude

My encoder truncates somewhere shorter than that, I have a feeling that it does this on purpose.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 15:57   #4
Red Sackles

hmm ok that would mean id probably have to look into using icecast insted. i know the encoder sends the full information luckaly cause changing the encoders in comercia software is nearly imposible.

Thx for the info any how and perhaps this would be a good thing to put in the next update since winamp and most other players have no problem with large amounts of metadata
And displaying paswords in the player that surely could use fixing apart from the lengt of the metadata, that should not be hapening.
Old 9th October 2009, 16:49   #5
dotme

Maybe look at alternate means of communication. A mix of SAM's HTMLOut capabilities and a good PAL on the other end might work.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 17:17   #6
Red Sackles

that would be a good solution when your using one instance of sam but with 30 or so dj's managing there own instances thats verry prone to errors couse it doenst have a mechanism to check which of the dj's is actualy streaming at that particular time. (some people have there sam opend and use it while there not on air but then the html update would still be active)

another problem is that the html update isnt going te be quite in sync with the audio feed and in order for the ad system to work it needs to be whithin les then a second. (a difence between the metadata arival and the audio in the stream the streamads system wil mess up)

in all its a solution that would be harder to implement and maintain so only if there is no other way of solving the trancefer of data would i go to the html upload.

EDIT:

in icecast it seems to work just fine of cause i still wanna test with a rediculusly large amount of metadata. but i have to admit that icecast isnt quite as straid forward as shoutcast id really like to see this ability in shoutcast

Last edited by Red Sackles; 9th October 2009 at 18:54.
Old 9th October 2009, 21:28   #7
Red Sackles

hehe wel ok i tested icecast and indeed it does send all the metadata on to its clients.
however i use winamp for playback and reading the metadata from the stream and i found that winamp drops all meta data beyond 256 charecters.

so how would i change that?
Old 11th October 2009, 01:37   #8
Red Sackles

well im working on another solution which doesnt require such a large amount of metadata to be send thru the encoder rather it sends a reference in the metadata that tels it to pick the right data from a database on the server (wel thats the really short eplanation but it works just some bugs to hunt)
Old 17th October 2009, 23:24   #9
Red Sackles

well i workt it out its more complicated but it now works well
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support