Old 14th November 2012, 19:22   #1
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
A Couple Issues

Given the age of the forum software used by Winamp/ShoutCast, and the fact that spammers are logged in everywhere, I would highly recommend Winamp/ShoutCast update their version of vBulletin to the latest, and install this mod to curb the spammers:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

I don't use vBulletin myself, so I don't know how effective that actual mod itself is, however I use similar mods on PHPBB3 and SMF 2 which utilize that same database, and it by itself is extremely effective, and when coupled with other mods that use similar databases, works incredibly well.

If Winamp/ShoutCast wants to dominate the market, they seriously need to get back into action. Parts of the forum are dying from a lack of users to support one another, information is slowly getting outdated throughout the site and forum both, and spammers are putting off an incredibly bad public view of the company.

All I can say is, why not? Why not update and fight the spammers? Why not get things back on track so everyone, the company included, can benefit? I've always been a fan of Winamp itself, but I haven't always used it as my primary media player because getting help in the past has been a bit slow and difficult when I needed it. I would definitely consider making it my primary again if these issues were fixed so I had my confidence back in such a great product. I'm sure others would follow too!

SugarD-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 22:39   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i thought they updated the forums a while back, but now i think i was mistaken. its completely clear however that they are ineffective at fighting spam.

i'm not sure though what you see when u say shoutcast? this is one forum, and shoutcast is a subforum in it. is that all you mean?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 23:07   #3
DrO

he's bitching about not getting a response about devid's which i have replied to twice now with all of the information that i know off (as far as my offical capacity allows me).

and please do show what spam is getting through as some of us are countlessly wasting hours of our time clearing up the stuff that does get blocked as well as the odd bit that gets through.

and yes the forum software needs to be updated (again) but i am not getting into that one other than forum software does not prevent people from posting on here and making useful contributions, etc - if the version of something is so important then i really think you need to redress things from your side rather than complaining at people who cannot do anything about it in the manner that you're demanding (as it is by saying oh i'll use Winamp as my main player if you do x,y&z).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 23:14   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO,

why are you so mad at me lately? i defend you all the time.

i do see spam get through, a lot. thats what i said. i know that you, and egg and others then have your time wasted by going around chasing it and deleting it; i did not say that doesn't happen. i have run forums before, and there are effective tools to keep spammers out before they can even post, and that would save you all time. also, last time we talked about this, i told you i reported spam via the triangle in the bottom left of a post, and you said that was something else broken with the forum, even though it gives no such indication to the user. since i have heard nothing more, i assume its still broken.

please, relax, drink some wine, take a vacation, something! you are really cranky lately.

--
Old 14th November 2012, 23:17   #5
DrO

i wasn't mad at you, i was aiming my reply at the OP i just didn't quote things as i thought i'd made it clear where the reply was aimed at.

cranky is how i roll, heh (i guess it's just frustration knowing what needs to be done but knowing that the people who can do such things don't have the time to do it either).

-daz
Old 14th November 2012, 23:33   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

it was clear it was directed at him, i just felt uncomfortable with what felt like the applicable overlap.

i don't understand how the winamp shop operates though, it always sounds like management is pushing the devs into things and deadlines that are stupid.

--
Old 14th November 2012, 23:44   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i don't understand how the winamp shop operates though, it always sounds like management is pushing the devs into things and deadlines that are stupid.
Isn't that the norm for all management that is focused on the bottom line of making a quick buck?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 23:50   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

it was certainly the case at logitech/squeezebox. they have fucked that whole deal up royally.

--
Old 15th November 2012, 00:00   #9
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
he's bitching about not getting a response about devid's which i have replied to twice now with all of the information that i know off (as far as my offical capacity allows me)...
I'm not complaining about that at all. If you look at the online users listing, it's filled with spammers. The forum's footer itself reports an old version. I'm simply trying to improve it, and it has nothing to do with my issue over in the Developer ID topic. I actually assumed that the webmaster was a different person than the product developers since this forum hosts multiple projects, hence "Winamp/ShoutCast".

Quote:
...cranky is how i roll, heh (i guess it's just frustration knowing what needs to be done but knowing that the people who can do such things don't have the time to do it either).
You know, I was actually considering editing this topic after I posted it to recommend you as a Moderator or Administrator. Honestly you're the only one that I have seen on certain parts of the forum that has actively helped people for years. You definitely deserve recognition for that, don't get me wrong.

Old 15th November 2012, 00:13   #10
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarD-x View Post
I'm not complaining about that at all. If you look at the online users listing, it's filled with spammers. The forum's footer itself reports an old version. I'm simply trying to improve it, and it has nothing to do with my issue over in the Developer ID topic. I actually assumed that the webmaster was a different person than the product developers since this forum hosts multiple projects, hence "Winamp/ShoutCast".
Winamp and SHOUTcast are under the same umbrella (have been since they were created) and still are classified as one and the same. and support for back and front end services comes under the same grouping in combination with the supporting AOL resources.

i apologise in that i assumed after the other thread that this was a continuation on from that (just think what i'd have had thought if i had been drinking, heh).

Quote:
You know, I was actually considering editing this topic after I posted it to recommend you as a Moderator or Administrator. Honestly you're the only one that I have seen on certain parts of the forum that has actively helped people for years. You definitely deserve recognition for that, don't get me wrong.
*cough* (and have been since early 2004 from what i remember). and if only i was on the dev team as well...

-daz
Old 15th November 2012, 00:22   #11
SugarD-x

Quote:
Winamp and SHOUTcast are under the same umbrella (have been since they were created) and still are classified as one and the same. and support for back and front end services comes under the same grouping in combination with the supporting AOL resources.

i apologise in that i assumed after the other thread that this was a continuation on from that (just think what i'd have had thought if i had been drinking, heh).

*cough* (and have been since early 2004 from what i remember). and if only i was on the dev team as well...

-daz
1. No worries man. Being a webmaster/admin on multiple sites over the years, I understand the frustration. Usually the anger is justified because most posters are moaning idiots.
2. Odd that your title isn't showing, nor are you listed on the Moderator section in some other boards that you definitely deserve it in.

/me votes Daz for Administrator!

Old 15th November 2012, 00:30   #12
DrO

i'm using a custom title (is usually set as 'Mooderator' but felt like a bit of a change) and already being a global mod & admin (though it doesn't mean as one there is access to the bare metal of things) means i don't have to be listed on all of the specific forums.

-daz
Old 15th November 2012, 01:15   #13
SugarD-x

Quote:
i'm using a custom title (is usually set as 'Mooderator' but felt like a bit of a change) and already being a global mod & admin (though it doesn't mean as one there is access to the bare metal of things) means i don't have to be listed on all of the specific forums.

-daz
Didn't you say you were a Developer too? It seems those inactive should be removed then and those active, like yourself, should get a promotion.

Old 15th November 2012, 01:45   #14
DrO

for my sins, i seem to be a bit of anything and everything based on what's needed at the time.

-daz
Old 15th November 2012, 01:55   #15
SugarD-x

Quote:
for my sins, i seem to be a bit of anything and everything based on what's needed at the time.

-daz
Sin more! We need you to do everything!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Site Design