Old 8th April 2013, 23:00   #1
djpete
Major Dude

Can't add a plugin review

I'm logged in but there is no link to add a review.
I see this though...
No reviews, be the first person to write a review.

Have reviews been stopped?

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 23:02   #2
DrO

it has definitely been like it for 2 years (backend changes broke a lot of things so was simpler to just disable the functionality for the odd comments that were to be made anyway) and it wasn't working properly before that. so not being able to make a review is completely expected.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 23:06   #3
djpete
Major Dude

Thanks DrO, well that's pretty sad.
I can't believe with all the knowledge over at Winamp that it can't be fixed.
:-(
If I was a developer of a plugin reviews would be one of the main reasons to motivate me to make more and improve etc. With no feedback why would they bother spending free time.

It reinforces to some people that WA is slowly fading away with lack of interest.
This is aimed at management, not you.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 9th April 2013, 12:41   #4
DrO

plug-ins are generally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and has been that way for a long time (just took me too long to realise that due to the 'forum reality bubble) - most installs don't ever see a 3rd party plug-ins installed in them.

with so many of the plug-ins on the site being old / no longer developer supported / incompatible with newer OSes and even Winamp revsions since 2006 (and earlier in some cases), as much as some people don't like my view, the whole of the plug-ins section should be nuked (at most some language packs and plug-in skins could remain).

the other option is someone going through and validating compatibility of the plug-ins which is a load of work for little return (i doubt anyone remembers how long it took to sort out the skins to be 5.x compatible).

as most of what is up there is more of a risk to client stability (as seen by another recent thread where someone just installed anything and everything and then wondered why Winamp died for them).
Old 10th April 2013, 01:56   #5
djpete
Major Dude

Well that's sad to hear too that users are not interested in plugins. As you know it WAS huge and so interesting to see what could be done with Winamp with different plugins. To me plugins and skins are or were the soul of Winamp and the reason why so many users and coders were actively involved and made Winamp what it was then. That of course was a long time ago now.

I suppose it did have to peak somewhere though and what can be done to Winamp with a plugin has almost all been done. And in reality users want it all and now, they don't want to spend time on anything as in adding plugins etc.

But, (:-)) I still think the current plugins could be utilised.
Something like a rating system where users rate if compatible with latest version or maybe the staff reviewers mention (and test) that in their reviews.
Many ways to tackle it.
And as mentioned the user reviews should be fixed.
Hell, I'll pop over and have a go if you like.
(loads hammer into ute)
:-)

...but yeah I hear you DrO

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 02:04   #6
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
And in reality users want it all and now, they don't want to spend time on anything as in adding plugins etc.
that pretty much sums everything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
Something like a rating system where users rate if compatible with latest version or maybe the staff reviewers mention (and test) that in their reviews.
Many ways to tackle it.
it still requires a lot of work being put in for not a lot of benefit and most people aren't going to read such things even if it was done. i was the plug-in reviewer for most of the plug-ins in the last 7years and did block what could be or get plug-in authors to fix things but OSes and all that have changed a lot since then so it still involves going through and checking _everything_ which is a load of work for anyone (even as part of a group) to do even once you overcome internal issues with the handling of the site backend (that's another whole area of pain).

sadly there is no happy solution, as no matter what, a lot of the plug-ins would need to be dropped even if there are ones which can be confirmed as 'safe' on newer OSes and Winamp clients. even an archival state still wouldn't be paid attention and people would just blindly install (hence it's better to remove than hide away).
Old 10th April 2013, 02:07   #7
djpete
Major Dude

I better start hoarding my plugin favorites then in a safe place!
You're right though.
Gone are the days of 90% of people using just win98 OS.
Understood and appreciate the explanation DrO.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 10th April 2013, 02:15   #8
DrO

as much as something should happen, i doubt anything will any time soon (unlike i did for mine).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Site Design