Old 27th September 2005, 03:53   #1
TheMilhouseMan
The Weird One
(Senior Member)

Good Registry cleaner

What would be a good registry cleaner that also does a good job of defraging. Thanks

Old 27th September 2005, 12:18   #2
mikm
Major Dude

Why not just use the Windows defragger?

Also, in my experience, registry cleaners can do more harm than good (i.e. erase necessary entries). If your computer is running slowly, a clean install of Windows works much better.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 27th September 2005, 14:57   #3
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

I agree with mikm. Last time i ran a registry scan with a tool(i don't remeber which one), it actually delted some of verey important entries, to cure which i had to reinstall windows.

My MAKI contribs.: STONE
My WebSite My Blog My Skins: fnk 32 Rioport v1 Sienna Burning Steel
My Saying: Eat healthy, Stay fit... Die Anyway
Old 27th September 2005, 15:37   #4
Mattress
Forum King

there was a tool from microsoft called regclean that I used to use a while back but that was on win98 machines I don't know if they still even make/support it but it worked quite well.
Old 27th September 2005, 17:21   #5
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

There's no single tool I know of that provides both registry cleaning and disk defragmentation.

But for registry cleaning, this one is the best I've ever used (and I've used many). It's not freeware, but you can use the trial version indefinitely with full functionality. And this one has never caused any problem with any Windows components or any installed application on my PCs. In fact, running it every night as a scheduled task has prevented me from having to reinstall the OS on my main PC for about three years now. And I have to remind myself to reboot it at least once a month, because it never slows down or gives me errors of any kind.

And the best disk defragmenter is Diskeeper. It has a "smart defrag" function that does what a defragmenter is supposed to do...only run when the disk needs it.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
Old 27th September 2005, 18:00   #6
dlichterman
Forum King

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 28th September 2005, 05:42   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

regedit.exe
Old 28th September 2005, 20:17   #8
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
regedit.exe

Only if you REALLY know what you're doing in the Windows registry.

For the average user (or for people who just want to avoid "accidents" with regedit that would fry the system and force a complete reinstall), TuneUp Utilities is still the best tool for registry cleaning and defragmentation, in my experience. It even includes it's own, improved version of "regedit", with a nicer search function and bookmarking capabilities.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMilhouseMan
What would be a good registry cleaner that also does a good job of defraging. Thanks
I just realized...if you were referring to registry defragging instead of disk defragging, TuneUp Utilities does do that.

Old 20th December 2007, 09:33   #9
unibluesoftware

Yeah it's not advisable for any computer user just to edit the windows registry manually. Editing the registry wrongly can even crash your system. There are couple free good registry cleaners and quite some licensed products which can facilitate the whole process.
Old 20th December 2007, 09:49   #10
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by unibluesoftware
Yeah it's not advisable for any computer user just to edit the windows registry manually. Editing the registry wrongly can even crash your system. There are couple free good registry cleaners and quite some licensed products which can facilitate the whole process.
Let me see, a first-time poster revives a 2005 thread about registry cleaning apps...

And as it happens, a google search for the poster's names points to a company selling a shareware registry cleaning app...

How odd.

Don't even bother spamming the url for it. Your post will get ripped and ridiculed, and you'll get banned in no time.
Old 20th December 2007, 09:56   #11
unibluesoftware

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
Let me see, a first-time poster revives a 2005 thread about registry cleaning apps...

And as it happens, a google search for the poster's names points to a company selling a shareware registry cleaning app...

How odd.

Don't even bother spamming the url for it. You post will get ripped and ridiculed, and you'll get banned in no time.
Hmm, I stumbled across this forum and found a thread that maybe I can contribute to (did not even notice dates). Did I post any url? I could have even used a false name and email, which I didn't if I wanted to spam, right?

Thanks for the welcome, impressed
Old 20th December 2007, 09:59   #12
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Sorry if you're genuine, but we have dozens of people spamming software every day, so it gets on our nerves.

Sorry if I jumped the gun.
Old 20th December 2007, 14:26   #13
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I agree with whoever said regedit. If you want to really clean it, you have to do it yourself. If you don't know enough about the registry to do that, take the machine to someone that does.

I absolutely do not trust those free registry cleaners at all.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:48   #14
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

pfft whoever.

i've always used regedit and most importantly it works and it doesn't break anything if you know what your doing.

if you don't know what your doing, then the registry is probably the least of your worries, with adware/spyware and virus' around all of which will slow your machine down a lot more then a few extra registry entries.

its easier to just get spybot or adaware to remove all the spyware bullshit from the registry these days.
Old 21st December 2007, 00:43   #15
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Right, I agree with Rocker.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 21st December 2007, 08:02   #16
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
Sorry if you're genuine, but we have dozens of people spamming software every day, so it gets on our nerves.

Sorry if I jumped the gun.
I saw "users browsing this forum: unibluesoftware" and thought the same thing .
Old 27th December 2007, 04:30   #17
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by solgado1
I have used a number of registry cleaner software and RegBooster(http://www.regbooster.com) is the best for me. Why ? Simply because it is very easy to ease & its functionality is almost perfect. It scans my computer registry pretty fast & fixes all found errors. It has another excellent feature of registry defragmentation. There are also some very good side features which includes ignore list, manage startup and registry backup. The software has amazing & professional looks. All in all, it is an excellent registry cleaner. You can download it from: www.regbooster.com/regbooster.exe
case and point
Old 27th December 2007, 12:43   #18
fc*uk

That tune up program Scor mentioned is pretty damn slick though. I have a feeling that in a few days they will be seeing some of my money...
Old 27th December 2007, 14:48   #19
Kaboon

Send a message via ICQ to Kaboon
This is a rather good register cleaner. (hey, someone had to do it! )
Old 27th December 2007, 15:07   #20
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

fdisk

Old 27th December 2007, 15:25   #21
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaboon
This is a rather good register cleaner. (hey, someone had to do it! )
Now THAT is one of the best....
Old 27th December 2007, 19:26   #22
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by solgado1
I have used a number of registry cleaner software and RegBooster(http://www.regbooster.com) is the best for me. Why ? Simply because it is very easy to ease & its functionality is almost perfect. It scans my computer registry pretty fast & fixes all found errors. It has another excellent feature of registry defragmentation. There are also some very good side features which includes ignore list, manage startup and registry backup. The software has amazing & professional looks. All in all, it is an excellent registry cleaner. You can download it from: www.regbooster.com/regbooster.exe
Well unibluesoftware, for the time being it looks like you got your spam to go through after all, since reg. booster is made by Uniblue.
Old 27th December 2007, 19:36   #23
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
CCleaner still works and still free.
Old 27th December 2007, 20:01   #24
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Since I don't want to happen what happened the last time I tried to clean my registry Does CCleaner know what not to elminate?
Old 30th December 2007, 19:01   #25
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Yes, CCleaner is great at knowing what, and more importantly, what NOT to eliminate. But CCleaner only does clean up. It can't fix registry structure or defragment it.

A full-featured registry maintenance tool will do clean up, structure maintenance and registry defragging, but you're pretty much going to have to pay for such a tool - the free ones only do a part of all that can be done to optimize your registry. I still like TuneUp Utilities (even though full-featured registry maintenance is only a small part of it's feature set), but I also use CCleaner because it's less conservative than TU Utilities, finding more junk that can be removed from the registry. Both products are very good at what they do.

Our resident spammer in this thread, UniBlue, makes a decent optimization toolset that I've tested thoroughly. It's similar to TU Utilities in a few areas, but it lacks many of TU's features, and is considerably more expensive. So I would not recommend it to anyone.

Old 2nd January 2008, 07:48   #26
unibluesoftware

Quote:
Originally posted by Razzinno
Well unibluesoftware, for the time being it looks like you got your spam to go through after all, since reg. booster is made by Uniblue.

Originally posted by ScorLibran
Our resident spammer in this thread, UniBlue, makes a decent optimization toolset that I've tested thoroughly.
I wish to point out, that Uniblue's registry cleaner is not RegBooster, although I must admit, the name is very similar and we are looking into this matter further. We have also no connection whatsoever with solgado1 or the website he posted above either. His post, in my humble opinion, definitely looks like a sales pitch and it's copied and pasted exactly on other forums too.

Can you please be so kind and tell me where I spammed on this forum?

Last edited by unibluesoftware; 2nd January 2008 at 09:24.
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:08   #27
jheriko
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to jheriko
Windows registry... if only programmers didn't suck at managing their own data...

-- Jheriko

'Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers'
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:49   #28
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Yes, CCleaner is great at knowing what, and more importantly, what NOT to eliminate. But CCleaner only does clean up. It can't fix registry structure or defragment it.

A full-featured registry maintenance tool will do clean up, structure maintenance and registry defragging, but you're pretty much going to have to pay for such a tool - the free ones only do a part of all that can be done to optimize your registry. I still like TuneUp Utilities (even though full-featured registry maintenance is only a small part of it's feature set), but I also use CCleaner because it's less conservative than TU Utilities, finding more junk that can be removed from the registry. Both products are very good at what they do.

Our resident spammer in this thread, UniBlue, makes a decent optimization toolset that I've tested thoroughly. It's similar to TU Utilities in a few areas, but it lacks many of TU's features, and is considerably more expensive. So I would not recommend it to anyone.
Thanks Mew! (and where the hell have you been? )
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:59   #29
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by jheriko
Windows registry... if only programmers didn't suck at managing their own data...
As soon as that happens, there will never be pointer problems again!

I really believe that the Registry was a terrible idea from the beginning.

Old 3rd January 2008, 05:29   #30
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
I must admit, the name is very similar and we are looking into this matter further.
This is a desperate attempt to get someone else to post a link to your company's home page.

Nobody here's going to give you fifty nine dollars and ninety five cents for your dumpy software. Go try your tricks on another forum. We're not falling for them here.

Old 3rd January 2008, 07:31   #31
unibluesoftware

Quote:
This is a desperate attempt to get someone else to post a link to your company's home page.

Nobody here's going to give you fifty nine dollars and ninety five cents for your dumpy software. Go try your tricks on another forum. We're not falling for them here.
HEHE this is incredible, you people must have had really bad experience with spamming here! If I wanted to spam, I would have done like solgado1 here, register with a common name and just post our links, did I do that? Thinking about it, it's strange noone replied to him, but only addressed comments to me although we have no connection whatsoever

I just wrote 1 reply originally and it's clear you are looking for the smallest thing to say I'm spamming. Keep up the good work, impressed

Last edited by unibluesoftware; 3rd January 2008 at 08:09.
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:37   #32
jheriko
Forum King

The problem is that we do get a lot of spam... its also a bit hard to swallow that someone would name their account after the company they work for if it wasn't for company business... e.g. spam.

You must really love the company I guess.

-- Jheriko

Old 3rd January 2008, 08:38   #33
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
Spammer spam, spamy spam spam. Spamo spamin spamam.

Naw just kidding. Really though I think we are picking on Uniblue too much. He did at least offer good advice and did not directly post a link. Also, with a little searching, it is easy to see that the other guy who did spam does not have anything to do with Uniblue's company.

-~MrMagick~-
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:57   #34
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
I just wrote 1 reply originally and it's clear you are looking for the smallest thing to say I'm spamming.
You read a two-year-old forum thread on the topic of your company's business. You created an account with the name of your company. You bumped the afforementioned thread, quite literally, with your company's name. You probably didn't know it was in a forum where spammers are confronted with venom, but of the rest you were certainly aware.

Nobody needs to "look for the smallest" anything - this stuff can be seen from space.

Old 3rd January 2008, 10:38   #35
unibluesoftware

May I remind you that you labeled me a 'resident spammer' just for 1 post and after at least another 15 people replied and I didn't "interfere" again

I met these kind of people before, once again you picked up on a sentence which suits you most and I’m almost sure you will have something to say again. Anyway it's useless to argue with you, take care mate

And sorry for disturbing
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:48   #36
jheriko
Forum King

Quote:
You read a two-year-old forum thread on the topic of your company's business. You created an account with the name of your company. You bumped the afforementioned thread, quite literally, with your company's name.
This is typical spamming behaviour (I hadn't noticed the bump myself!). Can this behaviour be explained someother way?

"Some guy who loves his company so much he uses their name as his screen name, posts on a thread about registry cleaners that is 3 years old because he has a deep interest in them (probably helped write one for aforementioned company because of said interest), searched the forums for something about them (because Winamp forums is the hub of all registry cleaner discussion don't you know (!)) and didn't notice the date until after he posted?"

It is a bit more difficult to swallow...

UniBlue: Do something other than posting defensive replies in this thread, perhaps something not related to your company or its software and people might believe you are not a spammer. At least we could believe that there is some reason why you came here which is not spam or registry cleaners.

(Maybe lock the thread to force the issue?)

-- Jheriko

Old 3rd January 2008, 10:51   #37
unibluesoftware

I explained to Twilightseer that I did not notice the date originally, that's all. Change my login if it's creating a problem too! In my original post, I never mentioned our products, did I? This is incredible
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:32   #38
Kaboon

Send a message via ICQ to Kaboon
Holy crap. I didn't even notice that this post is over 2 years old.
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:33   #39
jheriko
Forum King

Quote:
This is incredible
Not really. We are just clearly more experienced with spam in forums than you.

Whether you have intentionally acted like a spammer or not... I don't know nor care. Let the mods decide! (Since you haven't been banned yet... I would guess they already have)

-- Jheriko

Old 10th July 2008, 02:55   #40
registrycleaner

regustry cleaner reviews

Try http://www.registrycleanersfreereviews.com/
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions