Old 15th November 2007, 03:39   #1
HarryJones

External hard drive

I seem to be a bit stupid, but could anyone tell me how to move my entire winamp to an external hard drive? My internal drive is overflowing and as I'll be getting a new pc in 2/3 months time I just want to park it on a hard drive, delete it from the pc and retrieve it later. Thanks.
HarryJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 09:52   #2
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
What do you want to do? Make a backup of the Winamp installation? Or a backup of your music files? The backup of Winamp is simple, copy two folders, the Winamp install folder and then %appdata%\Winamp if you are using the multi-user feature. There are more detailed instructions here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#clean

To backup your music just copy it to your other hard disc.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 01:06   #3
senpai71

Installed on hard drive

Harry,

I have Winamp installed on a portable USB external hard drive (where my 100GB+ of music also resides) that I move from my PC to my work PC.

I did this because if I'd just had the music itself on the hard drive, and installed Winamp on each of the PC's then when I added music (from home), it would only update the Media Library on that PC...

Just go through the install steps and select a folder on the external drive rather than on your C: drive...

It's made my life much easier

Rory
senpai71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 04:29   #4
HarryJones

Thanks for this, but I'm still a little confused. Do I go about installing Winamp Pro onto the hard drive? OK, although I don't want to pay for it a second time. Having done that, how do I move the music from the C. drive?
I'm assuming there's a quick export method.
Old 16th November 2007, 04:55   #5
Zero2FiftyIn4

You never answered the question J_Darnley asked.

Are you trying to move the actual program or your music? Then we'll be able to help more.

"It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be,
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole,
This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
They're throwing bottles at your house.
Come on, lets go break their arms."
Zero2FiftyIn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 11:01   #6
J_Darnley
Forum King

If you have bought a Pro license you should know how long it will last! It will outlive you me and the Earth and last until the heat death of the universe.

You can install Winamp where ever you want. There is nothing to stop you doing this. You can install it on any drive letter from C to Z (A and B are reserved). Then you can choose to place Winamp in any folder you like.

As for moving you music, just move them like any other file. There is nothing special about them just because they contain auto data.

If you want to preserve the Media Library data when you move files then there is no simple way to do this. I usually recommend using the ML Import/Export plugin go get an XML file which you can then edit.

Old 16th November 2007, 15:20   #7
HarryJones

I want to move the whole thing, program and music, to a hard drive to free up space on my PC, let it sleep there for 2/3 months while I'm away and then re-install the program and music to a new computer. Thanks for all your help.
Old 16th November 2007, 15:48   #8
J_Darnley
Forum King

Right! I posted backup instructions and the link to the details in my first post. The simplest way is to copy the Winamp folder to another location or archive it into a zip or rar file. If you are using the multi-user settings (forced in 5.5) you will also need to backup the %appdata%\Winamp folder as that is where all settings are stored in that case.

As for the music, I can't help you that as I don't know where you put it. If you used Winamp with out customising its CD Ripping settings the default was C:\Music (I think). For other music that you have only you know where that is.

Old 20th November 2007, 23:20   #9
HarryJones

Thanks everyone, I think I've managed it.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support