Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 7th June 2016, 12:39   #1
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Introduction / Looking for "slow" presets

Hi,

I am Gerdski, Computer Guy and Musician (ambient/electronic/soundscapes), and I'd like to say that MilkDrop is by far the best visualisation software I know. Great presets!

I have a question:

When browsing the presets I find many of them with a very hard kind of beat detection/visualisation...the movement is often too fast for me.

Is there a possibility to "slow things down" in the presets of my choice?

Or (maybe better): are there presets for this that I don't know yet?
I am looking for soft, unobtrusive movement / development, still with beat detection, but calm, hypnotic and mesmerizing, but not so fast and techno-like.

Any preset suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Gerdski
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 19:59   #2
Nitorami
Major Dude
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Erlangen
Posts: 809
Hi Gerdski

Quote:
Is there a possibility to "slow things down" in the presets of my choice?
No, not in general. It may be possible in individual cases, but I personally would not attempt this except maybe for presets I have made myself and I know the code.

When talking slow and oneiric presets, you might try the work of Amandio C. on this forum. Unfortunately he did not bother a lot about beat detection and most of his presets are just moving at a constant rate.

You may also find something in my own presets. Some of them are frantic, some deliberately slow, depending on the music I listened to when making them. I'll attach the entire collection here, including the old ones which are already included in the milkdrop distribution; just try the newer ones, I have learned a lot since. It's not many presets in total but very different in style and motive, and some of them took me months to write. Pixies party in particular can be adjusted to any particle / camera speed you like.

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: zip martin - presets Oct 2008 - May 2016.zip (680.5 KB, 219 views)
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 13:55   #3
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen
 
Sabine Klare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 2,492
Just downloaded the .zip-folder and checked the content. Some of the presets seem to be new for me, and I can't wait to check them out, hopefully in the next days.

BTW, currently I myself try to do my uploads of my textures packs on Mediafire, but today I have to go off in a few minutes. I want to use Winamp & Milkdrop also in the future...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:36   #4
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitorami View Post
When talking slow and oneiric presets, you might try the work of Amandio C. on this forum. Unfortunately he did not bother a lot about beat detection and most of his presets are just moving at a constant rate.

You may also find something in my own presets. Some of them are frantic, some deliberately slow, depending on the music I listened to when making them. I'll attach the entire collection here, including the old ones which are already included in the milkdrop distribution; just try the newer ones, I have learned a lot since. It's not many presets in total but very different in style and motive, and some of them took me months to write. Pixies party in particular can be adjusted to any particle / camera speed you like.
Martin
Thank you Nitorami! I will check both your and Amandio C.'s work (I have seen some of your presets already!)

Cheers,
Gerdski
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:26   #5
Prenso
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 40
you might consider limiting the framerate. I noticed 15 frames per second seems to draw differently than 60+fps. I think both have there benefits but i too sometimes enjoy slow presets, especially with milkdrop 1.
Prenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 22:11   #6
BillyHill
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4
Does it have to be live visualizations? If not, you could record them with Fraps in 60 fps and maybe slow them down with Twixtor in either Vegas or Premiere. I know, it's a long way but worth it. Alternatively, check out Soundspectrum Aeon which is exactly what you're looking for, but it's only got a fraction of presets compared to MD and is not free.
BillyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 13:58   #7
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Hi there!

I have started this thread a while ago, but because of a time-consuming job I was not able to answer your replies or try out the things you have suggested. But this job is past, there is more time now, and I'd like to carry on with this topic, because I still need live visualisation.

Should I carry on with this thread or create a new one?

Cheers,
Gerdski
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 16:24   #8
Nitorami
Major Dude
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Erlangen
Posts: 809
Just continue here... there are very few remaining members on this forum anyway.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 06:40   #9
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
there are very few remaining members on this forum anyway.
Well, yes, this is "old Software" compared to fancy new smartphone apps. But then...like in computer games...the old stuff was/is much more fun to use/play. Where are the users? Have they moved somewhere else (Facebook?) or just lost interest?
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 10:48   #10
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
BillyHill said:
Quote:
Does it have to be live visualizations? If not, you could record them with Fraps in 60 fps and maybe slow them down with Twixtor in either Vegas or Premiere. I know, it's a long way but worth it. Alternatively, check out Soundspectrum Aeon which is exactly what you're looking for, but it's only got a fraction of presets compared to MD and is not free.
I am afraid yes...it has to be live, and it has to be Milkdrop. I have taken a look at Aeon, but it didn't convince me as much as Milkdrop did.
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 10:49   #11
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Prenso said:
Quote:
you might consider limiting the framerate.
Thank you. I will try that.
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 19:34   #12
Nitorami
Major Dude
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Erlangen
Posts: 809
Quote:
Where are the users? Have they moved somewhere else (Facebook?) or just lost interest?
As you say, MD is a dead horse, the owners don't bother, and this forum has become a deserted place.

Quote:
you might consider limiting the framerate.
Looks awful. Telly me what you want exactly, maybe I can help you. What sort of music ? Which presets are you talking ?
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 11:05   #13
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude
 
Flexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 54.089866,12.11168,18.75
Posts: 2,055
Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
Here's a big collection (full of redundancies too) of most of my presets and remixes: http://www.mediafire.com/file/50l3p8...collection.zip Perhaps you'll find something that suits you, or come back with the name of something you liked and maybe I remember something similar to it.
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 07:24   #14
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Hi Nitorami.

Quote:
> MD is a dead horse, the owners don't bother, and this forum has become a deserted place.
.

But it is still the best Visualisation available (to me). So, no need to leave this forum just because everyone is leaving. I shall stay.

Quote:
Telly me what you want exactly, maybe I can help you. What sort of music ? Which presets are you talking ?
Well...the first Idea would be:

I play this guitar:

It is a 12 string tapping guitar. The 6 strings on the right are almost the same as an ordinary guitar, it is the melody site. The 6 strings on the left are bassssically a bass guitar with 6 strings and different tuning. The output is stereo, and I can switch the pickups so that the bass side comes out on the left channel and the melody on the right (or vice versa). I usually put a delay on the melody but not on the bass. It sounds like this:

https://gerdski.bandcamp.com/track/escaping-the-storm

...at least in the first few minutes of the track.

I wonder how the first few minutes (or maybe the whole track) would look like if there was a preset doing "something" with the bass output (left) and "something else" with the melody (right), if it is possible to separate the 2 channels in MD.

I will try out presets later (for this and for other music) and pick my favourites...maybe this can be a(nother) starting point...

Cheers and thanks!
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 07:25   #15
Gerdski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Sorry....this image is much too big! Couldn't find a smaller one...
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump