Old 7th March 2013, 18:51   #1
gharris12978

MP3tag Id3v1

I have downloaded a ID3 to at http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html designed to help me tag all my mp3's and I believe it will help find album art ect but as of this moment I can only get it to allow me to manually enter information for a single track or directory. Does anyone have experience with this tagging program. It has sooo many features I'm just not sure where to begin.

thank You in advance
-Grant
gharris12978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 18:54   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
hi Grant,

start with this:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 18:59   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

as to how to do things, it basically depends what you want to do. instead of trying to do it all at once, i suggest you take it bit by bit.

id3v1 does not, afaik, support albumart. id3v2 does, but do u actually want or need to embed? i don't. i put the art in the folder.

winamp is ok as an auto-tagger. i do it by the album. if i get bum results, i manually alter the tags a bit (if i know what to put), which can influence the results.

be specific with your questions, and lets just do one or two at a time.

--
Old 7th March 2013, 19:51   #4
gharris12978

Im not sure where to start...

I guess the first question I have is what differentiates ID3 from metadata why doesn't an update to metadata on winamp automatically update the id3 tag? Or does it?
Old 7th March 2013, 20:32   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

metadata is just a term for any info about a file or data. id3 is one standard used to mark metadata in a file. vorbis is another standard.

metadata can be in the file, or only in the winamp db. usually both. unless u have done something abnormal, your winamp should be updating both the DB and the metadata in the file with whatever changes or edits you are making.

--
Old 7th March 2013, 21:16   #6
gharris12978

doe's winamp allow me to view the id3, 2, 1 tags that are associated with the song? i know it colums the library into the different groups genre, artist album ect but I haven't found anything other than the generic metadata and the file info edits yet so i cant check that the info is correct. the reason this is important to me is i am having trouble with syncing. when i sync my music to my phone winamp pro has some music categorized inaccurately. I have manually entered most of the metadata over the past few weeks and its pretty much where i need it to be on the computer interface so i was hoping if ifix the actual ID tags this would fix my problem.
Old 7th March 2013, 21:21   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

in the ML, pick any song, then do alt+3 or right click and do view file info, or double click any song currently playing in the song ticker, and you'll see the same thing, where winamp shows you the tag (types) in a file, (at the top, via tabs). its not the "raw info" nor necessarily all of it, but its enough of it for most people.

as suggested in the link i gave u, if these are mp3's its probably best to use id3v2.3 and strip anything else. mp3tag does that on a mass order, but you will need to do some test runs to make sure you know what you're doing.

--
Old 8th March 2013, 02:16   #8
gharris12978

i opened one after your post today in winamp to read the id info and sure enough the id1 did not match the metadata i provided to winamp. i deleted the id1 info and moved to the id3 which was all correct. I should have checked the id3 before i deleted the Id1 info just so i knew what matched and what didn't but ill look next time.Im guessing these not being in agreement is part of what is messing up my transfers and making them showup all crazy on my droid. once i get a little bit of a handle on how big a task this will be i will start working on it with the MP3Tag Program. right now it seams slightly redundant save for the mass stripping feature for the id1. but that kinda scares me as im worried ill never figure out which time gerry garcia sang that version of tarpin station should i delete without saving the id3 data. but we will get to that. right now its time for me to see how much i will actually have to strip.

But either way I think I'm on the right track...? Or am I not and lost? sorry just don't want to do the same thing over and over.
Old 8th March 2013, 02:29   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharris12978 View Post
i opened one after your post today in winamp to read the id info and sure enough the id1 did not match the metadata i provided to winamp. i deleted the id1 info and moved to the id3 which was all correct. I should have checked the id3 before i deleted the Id1 info just so i knew what matched and what didn't but ill look next time.
glad you are making progress, but your terminology is wrong. there is only id3. within id3, there is id3v1.x and id3v2.x

please read carefully the link i posted earlier. you want to use id3v2.3 and strip any other tags.

Quote:
Im guessing these not being in agreement is part of what is messing up my transfers and making them showup all crazy on my droid.
very possibly. i strip all tags except id3v2.3 to avoid such divergent problems.

Quote:
once i get a little bit of a handle on how big a task this will be i will start working on it with the MP3Tag Program. right now it seams slightly redundant save for the mass stripping feature for the id1. but that kinda scares me as im worried ill never figure out which time gerry garcia sang that version of tarpin station should i delete without saving the id3 data. but we will get to that. right now its time for me to see how much i will actually have to strip.

But either way I think I'm on the right track...? Or am I not and lost? sorry just don't want to do the same thing over and over.
you are on the right track. i will post back to here the equation to use for the "tags" column in mp3tag which u need to see what tags are in a file.

the thing to be careful of, is that you don't want to strip tags without pasting them back, IF they were the only tags. so if a file ONLY has id3v1.x you need to paste it back in mp3tag to convert it to id3v2.3 so the file has some metadata on it.

mp3tag forums about how to do all that are where you should post, although if you search their forum you will find it asked and answered many times.

EDIT: here is the formula i use:

%_tag_read%[ (%_tag%)]

--
Old 8th March 2013, 03:56   #10
gharris12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
your terminology is wrong. there is only id3. within id3, there is id3v1.x and id3v2.x

very possibly. i strip all tags except id3v2.3 to avoid such divergent problems.

I have started doing this via winamp one by one reading the id3v1. and then stripping that data and moving the correct info to ID3v2. then adding album art from the www.whatever but its time consuming i was hoping for a multi file id3 update. I guess one should learn to toss sand before they move mountains and im sure im doing this the slowest possible way only gets easier from here.

mp3tag forums about how to do all that are where you should post, although if you search their forum you will find it asked and answered many times.

Ill start reading there tomorrow. But Ill continue to post here any questions or updates here until the powers that be deem it unworthy move it elsewhere. It may be that a few people might gain insight to what is post in this thread but whatever should probably wait to evaluate its relevance one way or another.

EDIT: here is the formula i use:

%_tag_read%[ (%_tag%)]

thank you. I haven't yet graduated from the basic winamp copy and paste. But I will check into mp3Tag tomorrow but yea just slogging through it. I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track 2700 files just seams daunting.
Old 8th March 2013, 04:36   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi gharris12978,

MrSinatra's suggestions are on point. New mobile devices support ID3 version 2 and it is easier to deal with only one ID3 version. But it is possible to use both versions in a file. You just need to keep the data consistent in both.

I have old and new mobile devices and use both ID3 versions in my mp3 files without any problems. Version 2 has a few more tag fields than version 1 and the version 1 tag fields are shorter than version 2. For example a long album name will fit in the version 2 album tag, but will be truncated in the version 1 album tag. Another difference is in the genre tag. Behind the scenes, a code is used to represent the genre name you see. Version 2 has more codes and some do not match the same genre name assigned to the version 1 codes. Another difference is in the track number tag. Version 2 allows leading zeroes and version 1 does not.

Anyway, just take it slow (as MrSinatra says) and you will get the hang of things in no time.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 04:36   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

u have to quote / close quote otherwise its hard to read.

Quote:
I have started doing this via winamp one by one reading the id3v1. and then stripping that data and moving the correct info to ID3v2. then adding album art from the www.whatever but its time consuming i was hoping for a multi file id3 update. I guess one should learn to toss sand before they move mountains and im sure im doing this the slowest possible way only gets easier from here.
do your files have both v1 and v2 tags? do both types have info in them? (check the tabs)

you can copy from v1 to v2 using the button in winamp, BUT its a lot quicker and easier done in mp3tag, as is mass removing v1.

Quote:
Ill start reading there tomorrow. But Ill continue to post here any questions or updates here until the powers that be deem it unworthy move it elsewhere. It may be that a few people might gain insight to what is post in this thread but whatever should probably wait to evaluate its relevance one way or another.
just to be clear, i was saying mp3tag questions generally belong there, not here, and its bad form to post them here, unless u tried there first or its a small specific thing you are asking other posters here you know. jmho.

i wouldn't be surprised if some of those questions were already asked and answered here btw.

Quote:
thank you. I haven't yet graduated from the basic winamp copy and paste. But I will check into mp3Tag tomorrow but yea just slogging through it. I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track 2700 files just seams daunting.
i have 65k+ and everything i know about tagging was hard won knowledge. there was not a link for me (posted earlier) that there is for you.

that said, its worthwhile to learn all this. i have really maxmized the potential of my collection by learning the ins and outs of this.

--
Old 8th March 2013, 05:15   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi gharris12978,

MrSinatra's suggestions are on point. New mobile devices support ID3 version 2 and it is easier to deal with only one ID3 version. But it is possible to use both versions in a file. You just need to keep the data consistent in both.

I have old and new mobile devices and use both ID3 versions in my mp3 files without any problems. Version 2 has a few more tag fields than version 1 and the version 1 tag fields are shorter than version 2. For example a long album name will fit in the version 2 album tag, but will be truncated in the version 1 album tag. Another difference is in the genre tag. Behind the scenes, a code is used to represent the genre name you see. Version 2 has more codes and some do not match the same genre name assigned to the version 1 codes. Another difference is in the track number tag. Version 2 allows leading zeroes and version 1 does not.

Anyway, just take it slow (as MrSinatra says) and you will get the hang of things in no time.
thanks for the props.

however, he has a droid and he has concerns for the genre tag, so at that point, i think whats best for him would be to strip v1. i see reports here and there that x, y or z doesn't handle divergent data properly, and even though x, y or z should, it just ends up being best to strip them.

--
Old 8th March 2013, 05:45   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
however, he has a droid and he has concerns for the genre tag, so at that point, i think whats best for him would be to strip v1. i see reports here and there that x, y or z doesn't handle divergent data properly, and even though x, y or z should, it just ends up being best to strip them.
You could be right. There is a lot to be said for the Keep It Simple S***** approach. But, you know me, I'm more about full disclosure and letting the user decide.

Old 9th March 2013, 14:52   #15
Darkspire

I only use Winamp for playback for tagging I use TagScanner (try a Google search, wont let me paste the link here). Been using it for years, its free (donations are accepted), is constantly updated and has a comprehensive help system, I would even go so far as to say it is better than my old Musicmatch for tagging, a very useful and professional program that deals with most audio formats, images, different tag types, online lookup etc.

TagScanner.

TagScanner is a multifunction program for organizing and managing your music collection. It can edit tags of mostly state-of-the-art audio formats, rename files based on the tag information, generate tag information from filenames, and perform any transformations of the text from tags and filenames. Also you may get album info via online databases like freedb or Amazon. Supports ID3v1, ID3v2, Vorbis comments, APEv2, WindowsMedia and MP4(iTunes) tags. Powerful TAG editor with batch functions and special features. Playlist maker with ability to export playlists to HTML or Excel. Easy-to-use interface. Built-in player.

Features:

Rename files based on the tag and file information
Powerful multiple files tag editor
Import tag information and album art from online databases like freedb or Amazon
Generate tag information from file/foldernames
Tag fields formatting and rearrangement
Words replacement and case conversion from tags and filenames
Supports MP3, OGG, FLAC, WMA, MPEG-4, Opus, Musepack, Monkey's Audio, AAC, OptimFROG, SPEEX, WavPack, TrueAudio files
Supports ID3 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4 tags, APE v1 and v2 tags, Vorbis Comments, WMA tags and MP4(iTunes) metadata
Supports for embedded lyrics and cover art
Resize cover art for portable devices on the fly
TAGs versions conversions
Quick playlists creation
Export information to HTML, XML CSV or any user-defined format
Full support for Unicode
Multilanguage interface
Built-in multiformat player

Darkspire
Darkspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 16:34   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspire View Post
I only use Winamp for playback for tagging I use TagScanner (try a Google search, wont let me paste the link here).
I agree TagScanner is a good product. I use for the few things that Mp3 Tag does not do well.

Old 9th March 2013, 20:31   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

what does it do well that mp3tag does not?

--
Old 10th March 2013, 14:53   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
what does it do well that mp3tag does not?
I should have known you would ask me that. The pros and cons are best discussed in a separate thread.

Briefly, it's has to do with data presentation (screen layout) and ease of use. For example, TagScanner shows more tag fields (the usual and extended) by default and allows more ways to group song listings. That said, I do use MP3Tag much more than TagScanner for most of my tagging needs.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support