Old 7th February 2012, 08:14   #1
koijmon

Creating a smart view from a playlist?

I was wondering if it was possible to create a smart view which includes just the files from one of my playlists. I thought that perhaps all of the playlist items could have some small edit to a ID3 field that could then filtered by a smart view, but I can't seem to batch edit playlist items. Should I start looking for some 3rd party software that can find and manipulate all of the items in a playlist? Is there some smart view query magic that someone could share?
koijmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 11:32   #2
DrO

you can create a manual query which uses 'filename' which you can use as a partial match for creating the new smart view via the query builder.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 19:31   #3
koijmon

I'm sorry, I don't really see what you mean. Are you suggesting the smart view should filter file names such that it should only find the playlist file in my computer? Because it doesn't seem like it can find that m3u and then generate the smart view with all of the items.
Old 7th February 2012, 19:37   #4
DrO

what you exactly want is not possible as smart views are only based on what is currently known in the media library. so if you want a smart view which is equivalent of a playlist then you need to specify as part of the query part of the folderpath / filename for the entries in the playlist.

however if the playlist entries are all over the place then it's not going to work and you'd need to come up with a different query or better explain what / why you're trying to do things as there might be a better / simpler way (though i'm not going to reply back to this until the 13th assuming there is a need to).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 08:25   #5
koijmon

Thanks for clarifying that. The playlist files are spread out, and I was hoping that winamp might be able to mass edit them. Sounds like that won't work.
But really the purpose was just to get a smart view for a few hundred tracks in a playlist. If you can think of any other way to be able to migrate them let me know.
Old 11th February 2012, 11:40   #6
Crashguard303

?

@Kojimon:
Another possibility would be (I do that if I have changed a complete path or directory), I take the playlist, and search and replace the file path by a text editor.

But this works only, if you know, where the files now are.

Or, regarding to what DrO said, scan the media library again, and create a macro which generates a query filter out of the .m3u playlist file using "filename" expression.
But the search query expressions are limited to a special length.

Easiest way would be, if you know if the files you have in the playlist but spread over HD, have a special age, some other tags or attributes, then you could search for these, and not by filename (for example "last updated").

The sum of all energies is zero.
Crashguard303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 11:54   #7
Crashguard303

What should do the trick:
Scan the media library again, open you "broken" playlist, and use a AutoHotkey macro which copies playlist entries into the media search bar, finding the file and appending the found file into the playlist again.
After doing that, you can remove missing files and have a complete playlist wich works.

But this works only, if the filenames have a homogenous format, always artist - title or track -artist - title, as the hotkey script has mark the filnename, from the end to the beginning of the last backslash, where the filename begins.

Or, you export the .m3u, removing everything from beginning to the last backslash, that you only have the pure filenames left without path, and use this information for the macro.

Old 11th February 2012, 12:28   #8
Crashguard303

I can give you the Regular Expresion for Notepad++, which is a text editor able to filter the complete .m3u, reducing it either to the filnames or artist - title.
Then you have a list for the search query in Winamp, using another macro, if that helps.

Old 12th February 2012, 08:17   #9
koijmon

Got it

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry if I wasn't being very clear with these posts. I know where all of the files are, and their paths are all intact. They are just spread about in a few different folders, and I was hoping that there would be some way to manipulate that playlist group of files so that I could create a smart view instead of just the Winamp playlist view. It seemed like when using Winamp's playlists section and the playlist tab, there wasn't any way to change all of the playlist files as a group. I tried making a smart view with the filename filter to catch the m3u file, but that didn't seem to work.
Anyway, I tried some other media players, and foobar can adjust the file properties of a group taken from a playlist file. So problem solved.
Old 12th February 2012, 16:53   #10
Crashguard303

Right...

Yes, if the files are there, where the playlist says, FB2k can do this.
If they are missing, it removes them, in this case, WinAmp is better, it only marks missing files.

Glad it worked.

It would really good if WinAmp could also mass-manipulate playlist files, not only files which are in the media library and then pressing control-e, like Alt-3 works on playlist AND library.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
playlist, smart view