Old 19th July 2017, 21:14   #1
BigGuyWhoKills

Send a message via ICQ to BigGuyWhoKills
Smart View "How do I..."

I want to make a smartview that only shows albums containing more than 4 tracks. My goal is to filter out one-hit-wonders like "I Ran" by A Flock Of Seagulls or "Come On Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

I made a Smart View, and in Advanced mode I set it to "Tracks", "Is above", and "4". But it seems to show every track that has it's track number entered as #/# instead of just a number. Am I doing something wrong?

The documentation lists: "TRACKS: Total number of tracks on the disc". That seems like the correct thing to me.

These tracks are all AAC/M4A. Some have a disc number set in the Metadata tag, others have that field blank.
BigGuyWhoKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 02:13   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
so i figured it out, kinda... bit of a bug actually. there's a conflation between straight string comparison and actual mathematical calculation.

i have most files fully tagged, album artist, album, artist, title, track, etc, however some are missing one or more of those fields. for track, mine are mixed between #, ##, #/#, #/##, ##/##, etc and just blank. some albums even have the two styles mixed on the same album.

add a 2 pane smart view. album artist / album art.

click advanced, and make a rule: tracks equals 5

go to the view and in the album art pane click tracks (arrow should point up).

for me, this creates a results set where only #/#, ##/## tagged files show, and only if they have 5 tracks total in the album, OR if its #/5! (all # or ## are excluded, even if they are from an album that otherwise does show)

now edit the smartview to say equals or is above 5.

this creates a wildly inaccurate results set, where many bugs seem to exist. if the album shares its name with another artists album, seems to be a problem. if the album name starts with a number or punctuation, seems to be a problem, etc and again only #/# and ##/## etc show.

edit the smartview to say does not equal 4.

now single # or ## show, but again, pretty useless.

so i am convinced that using the easy way to construct queries won't work as is. the conflation between string matching and math is clearly a problem. there may be a way by writing a manual query that is exclusively mathematical to do it, (a formula u write with brackets and parenthesis and so on). something like only albums or artists who have more than 4 tracks are displayed.

besides what i said above, another part of the issue is that you are really trying to relate and query two items, not just tracks. meaning, u want a results set where more than just "tracks" is considered, but rather "tracks" as they relate to an album, or to an artist. (and really, artist b/c an album or album artist value might be of a comp). so what you want is a results list where only artists who have 5 or more tracks are shown. its that extra relationship of tracks to artists that the normal query builder doesn't account for.

one issue with that tho, depending how you tag, is it might exclude tracks u want, if they have a guest artist on them. so for instance, a live Billy Joel album has an album artist value of Billy Joel on all tracks, and most tracks have Artist is Billy Joel, but one track is Billy Joel, feat Paul McCartney. that would be a different artist and eliminated as a one hit wonder, (unless other albums had that combo 4 more times).

still, b/c of comps, Artists is better to use than Album Artists for this query.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Last edited by MrSinatra; 23rd July 2017 at 03:58.
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 02:36   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

also, someone might want to change all their tracks to one style or the other, meaning with or without the slash. i'm not gonna do that, but u might want to consider trying it to see if it improves winamps handling. if so, try with the slash first.

--
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:54   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'm trying to build a query, something like:

(tracks >= 5) [AND (Artist)]

but that doesn't work, b/c first off just this part is buggy:

(tracks >= 5)

but even if it weren't, i can't seem to figure out how to get winamp to recognize the second idea/function, which is to only use the results from the track >= 5 part if those 5 or more tracks are all from the same artist (regardless of other tag values or location).

i tried this too, trying to fool winamp:

(tracks >= 5) [AND (Artist = ?Artist)]

and differing variations where the brackets aren't used, etc, but so far no dice.

it seems like something you should be able to do, questions like:

"show me all songs by any artist who has 5 or more songs"

or

"show me all songs by any artist who has 5 or more songs that are also over 1 min long"

etc.

i rarely play with queries manually, so maybe an expert can chime in?

--
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:03   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

this was a bit more successful, but the slash bug still exists as does ANY punctuation in the album name, among others:

artist HAS "a" OR artist HAS "b" OR artist HAS "c" AND tracks >= "5"

obviously u would add the whole alphabet and numerals and any other character necessary to represent any possible artist in your ML.

it would be so much cleaner if u could just wildcard the artists to also be the same artists.

--
Old 24th July 2017, 23:52   #6
BigGuyWhoKills

Send a message via ICQ to BigGuyWhoKills
What about albums that have more than x-number of tracks? Would that eliminate the artist bug?
BigGuyWhoKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 23:44   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

its not just an artist bug. its a tracks bug. its a lack of a wildcard bug. its many things.

right now the only workaround as i see it, is to load your entire ML in a 2 pane view (album artist, album art icons), clear the scratch playlist, sort the album art icons pane by tracks, and then use the shift key to highlight all the album icons with 5 or more tracks and send them to the playlist. this sends all albums with 5 or more tracks to the playlist. but if just 4 or less songs or on an album by a given artist who also has songs on other albums, those won't make it to the playlist.

but it might also work if you do artist / album art icons. that might be better if so. experiment.

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 26th July 2017 at 01:04.
Old 26th July 2017, 05:39   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
but if just 4 or less songs or on an album by a given artist who also has songs on other albums, those won't make it to the playlist.
should say:

but if just 4 or less songs are on an album by a given artist who also has songs on other albums, those won't make it to the playlist.

--
Old 26th July 2017, 10:54   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

a better workaround:

2 pane view: artist / album (no artwork)

in the first pane, sort by tracks.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support