Old 2nd August 2003, 03:27   #1
Raz
Forum King

What book are you reading right now?

You saw the title, now post those books you're reading, make recommendations, reviews, whatever...

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 12:21   #2
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
Alexandre Dumas - Twenty Years After - It's not as good as The Three Musketeers, but it's pretty good.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 18:45   #3
Niffle

Terry Pratchett - Thief of Time

first Pratcheet book i've started to read
Niffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 22:00   #4
Pixelcraft
Wildly Confused
(Major Dude)

rm.txt

I really don't have a book I'm reading right now. I'm not too much of a reader....

Hmm, I don't mean to bring this thread down, but reading=art?

"It's like saying give a man a Les Paul guitar and he becomes Eric Clapton, and of course that's not true, give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer and he doesn't become...whoever; he doesn't become us." - Roger Waters
Pixelcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 13:16   #5
mark
Forum King

niffle, you should read the city watch trilogy (guards guards, men at arms, feet of clay) then the fith elephant, then night watch.

a trilogy of 4 parts with an extra book!

(actually, thats the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, read that too!)
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 19:28   #6
Shenlong
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Shenlong Send a message via Yahoo to Shenlong
Bob Greene - Be True To Your School

Odd thing though...I'm out of school, it's summer, and I rarely read books at all...Don't ask...

A very close Japanese friend I knew a while ago once said to me "Watashi no koto wo oboeta, onegai shimasu...Yakusoku?"

I forgot his name though...
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 21:29   #7
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

No one
Don't have now time...
can you suggest a small one?

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2003, 08:06   #8
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

I can't find the time to read a book lately, but the last series I was truly invovled with is the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony..Great books with absoultley captivating descriptions of the countryside and its inhabitants. I'v read like the first 9 or so books in the series, but there's something like 20 or 30 books in that one series! Wow..
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 03:16   #9
White Raven
Little Winged One

Reading? My own book, silly!

But of course when I do feel the need to indulge in someone else's stories, I do.

*Smiles* I'm actually reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix right now. I like the Harry Potter books, they're interesting and a fun read, but I'm not a Pottermaniac.

I'm actually on page 433 now, and to be honest... Not a lot of action, really. There are some interesting events and characters... Harry gets his first kiss... But nothing too spectacular. I'd still reccommend it however so far because it's interesting, but if you're looking for a read with a lot of action in, better stick to something else. (I expect the book will be picking up pace soon, I want to see Harry thwomp Professor Umbridge's toady ass!)

~*Reading Reccommendations*~
Anne Rice - Interview With a Vampire {Very good for those like me who like the dark.)
Anne Rice - Lestat (Even more shadowy and deliciously dark than the first!)
*I forgot the name* - Dragon and the Phoenix (I'll look up the name -- It's an exceptional book, very good read, awesome characters, and interesting names. Fantasy.)

Anne Rice actually inspired me to write my very first book (It's not a fanfic, it's completely original but does possess a certain emulation of Anne's style because... I find it just seems to fit me so much.)

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 06:19   #10
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Dragon and Phoenix? I think I'll look into that one!
Old 10th August 2003, 17:08   #11
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
This is the book I jsut finished reading, I copied the review I've written from Aj's forum since I didn't want to write it all again as you may understand...

Title: The picture of Dorian Grey
Author: Oscar Wilde
Category: I've heard it was called Gothic novel one time, I think it kind of fits.
Year: 1891

Read it here or buy it like anyone else (you should, I hate reading books over the internet).

Content:Dorian Grey, a wealthy but naive and iressistable young man, has his portrait painted, when he wishes that he could could remain as beautiful and youthful as the handsome face in the protrait. His wish comes true, and while Dorian is encouraged by the decadent Lord Henry Wotton to live a rather depraved life, he discovers that not him but his painting is grotesquely aging according to his deeds and behavior. But eventually, his lifestyle will cath up with him, and the consequence of his reckless behavior will come to haunt him.

My opinion: A book well worth reading, it's really a classic literature piece, the theme is interesting, the language is beautiful (though it sometimes takes very long until Wilde comes to a point, chapter 11, where Dorian's hobbies are described made me rush through it, I admit it became kind of boring but it got a lot better near the end). My favorite character is Lord Henry, his questions and responses are always so thought out and quick-witted, I really got to like him despite of his wicked and provocative opinions (e.g. "Women represent the triumph of matter over mind, just as men represent the triumph of mind over morals"). I very much enjoyed reading it.

Rating: (= 4 1/2) -1/2 because of sometimes being kind of long and hard to read, (but this is probably also because of English being my second language)

Ok, this was my book, right now I've started Bram Stoker's "Dracula" which I've read years ago, but in German, now it's the English original I'm reading.

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 13:43   #12
taylormemer
made his slipknot mask in woodwork class
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to taylormemer Send a message via AIM to taylormemer Send a message via Yahoo to taylormemer
The Fellowship Of The Ring, very good. Rating 10 outa 10 wicked, it covers alot more than what the movie did but the movies was still very good in its own way.

DeviantART|¤¤|DS-Lair|¤¤|Dissectional|¤¤|Pearl Drums|¤¤|Viralsound|¤¤|PabUK
Hey you! Don't tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, divided we fall.My PLAYLIST

MSN: taylor.jake@hotmail.com
taylormemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 13:51   #13
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Magic_Midget Send a message via Yahoo to Magic_Midget
Anne Rice - Queen of the Damned - Half way into it and so far its better than the movie

Darwin Awards Trilogy - www.darwinawards.com

Like Poetry and art? Visit my DeviantArt Site: www.lilithlairpoetry.deviantart.com
Magic_Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 16:01   #14
Niffle

Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby Nobbs
niffle, you should read the city watch trilogy (guards guards, men at arms, feet of clay) then the fith elephant, then night watch.

a trilogy of 4 parts with an extra book!

(actually, thats the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, read that too!)
will do
Niffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 16:22   #15
mark
Forum King

sorry bout the long list, but terry pratchet is an awesome writer. you should read the ones about death when youre done with those. for a morbid concept, and a very philysophical (sp?) charachter (more sp?)
the books are very good.
Old 12th August 2003, 03:30   #16
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
Quote:
Originally posted by taylormemer
The Fellowship Of The Ring
I hope you will read the other 2. and the hobbit while your at it.
I just finished up the one volume edition of LOTR. its very long, but its a really good book.

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 12:25   #17
Starbucks
Forum King

Finished reading The Return of The King and Catcher in the Rye.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2003, 20:01   #18
Raz
Forum King

Just finished The hobbit and Lord of the rings one after the other. *Picks up the silmarillion*.

Old 17th August 2003, 03:27   #19
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
Stephen King - Desperation

It's okay so far, a little too gory for my taste. I just finished The Stand, and a while back I bought Carrie, Salem's Lot, and The Shining in one hardbound book, and still have to read those. Yes, I'm on a King kick lately.
MetallichicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2003, 13:33   #20
xanax

Mine:

Title: The secret history
Author: Donna Tartt
Year: 1992

Content:
The Secret History takes place at the fictional Hampden College, which like Bennington is a small liberal arts college in Vermont. Its story centers on a small group of overly refined and elite students of ancient Greek taught by an eccentric professor who accepts few students. When the narrator, Richard Papen, a penniless transfer student from suburban California, successfully hatches a scheme to join the group, he gradually becomes privy to the group's secret history: they had accidentally murdered a farmer in their successful attempt to recreate an ancient Greek bacchanal. However, Bunny Corcorran, the one member of the group who ...
... you'll have to read the novel to know what's next.

My opinion:
This is a very well written book, very descriptive and sprinkled with Greece references. Characters' descriptions and events of their daily lives engages you in the story. I couldn't put this novel down.
Suspense goes down sometimes but it's always a pleasure to learn more about these students (especially about Camilla , the only girl in the group) during the 544 pages of the book.
One thing though, it was a little pain to figure out what time this book took place, 70s?, maybe the 80s. I am still not 100% sure.
I do recommend you to read it anyway.

Rating: (= 3.5/5)
xanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2003, 22:57   #21
caitcid

I am reading a bunch of books made by Douglas Adams. These books are hilarious!
Genre: Science Fiction

This is the book I'm reading currently right now. (too big to show).
http://www.fm3d.com/collectables/boo...01/hitch03.jpg
caitcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2003, 12:42   #22
mark
Forum King

douglas adams si da hitchhkers guide to teh galaxy m4n!
Old 22nd August 2003, 06:36   #23
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by anubis2003
Alexandre Dumas - Twenty Years After - It's not as good as The Three Musketeers, but it's pretty good.

thanks for reminding me that i've been meaning to look into his novels, lol. really.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 03:47   #24
Raz
Forum King

The Spire - William Golding

Old 23rd August 2003, 07:36   #25
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Actually, (don't laugh) I'm currently in the process of reading one of the many Star Wars books out in circulation. It's called 'Rogue Planet' I believe...This is at all amazing, considering I'm usually working every day but one...Thank god for vacation..
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Arts and Design