Old 1st May 2006, 16:18   #1
GrooveRite

Streaming Shoutcast to Mobile Phone.

Ok, I have searched and searched and so far havent come up with anything for streaming to mobile devices. I have read up on ML_PMP plugin for portable devices but I dont think that will work for my Samsung A900 Multi-Media phone from Sprint (EVDO Capabilities - High Speed Transfers). I want to know if there is a specific application Nullsoft has available currently for Mobile devices (NOT PDA's) or if there is a specific mobile URL that one can go to in order to stream shoutcast to mobile devices. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I LOVE shoutcast and would love to stream it directly to my cell phone.

Cheers!
GrooveRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 16:19   #2
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

your question had nothing to do with shoutcast at all

you need to ask your phone operator is his system is capable of recieving internet streams.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
FORUMRULES
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 16:24   #3
GrooveRite

Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
your question had nothing to do with shoutcast at all

you need to ask your phone operator is his system is capable of recieving internet streams.
Yes, my phone and network is capable of handling (high speed) streams. What I want to know is if its possible to stream shoutcast to it through an application or specific URL that may be available from Nullsoft.
Old 1st May 2006, 18:33   #4
hackerdork
Forum King

Well streaming audio is not always shoutcast either. Most phone providers require you to sign up with their content providers! If they have an embedded windows media player , real player etc. You can build a web site that embeds the player as well and you would need to browse to that site and viola streaming media (internet connect time on the phone too).

Shoutcast streams are in an http format and 99% of them are just a simple link http://localhost:8000 , and winamp would use http://localhost:8000/listen.pls and it would download a playlist and connect to the stream. So if your phone supports it, you punch in your address and port. Again take that up with your cell phone provider and determine if they even support this type of streaming. If they only support streaming from Windows media services, well you get to deal with that OS and hardware configuration

~ D

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 19:31   #5
GrooveRite

Quote:
Originally posted by hackerdork
Well streaming audio is not always shoutcast either. Most phone providers require you to sign up with their content providers! If they have an embedded windows media player , real player etc. You can build a web site that embeds the player as well and you would need to browse to that site and viola streaming media (internet connect time on the phone too).

Shoutcast streams are in an http format and 99% of them are just a simple link http://localhost:8000 , and winamp would use http://localhost:8000/listen.pls and it would download a playlist and connect to the stream. So if your phone supports it, you punch in your address and port. Again take that up with your cell phone provider and determine if they even support this type of streaming. If they only support streaming from Windows media services, well you get to deal with that OS and hardware configuration

~ D
Thank you for the info.!
Old 7th August 2006, 00:06   #6
Hssarth

Hey, I've got a 3GP compatible phone. I tried connecting to the address with only :8000 in it, and my server sees the connection -- however, the phone times out. If I make the URL :8000/listen.pls, then I see a web page saying that the requested info is currently unavailable. Any ideas on how to make this work?
Hssarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 00:22   #7
teedo757

strem to cell phone

I did some research and found it seems to be a limitation of formats and how it is presented to the cell phone that does not allow shoutcast to work with multimedia phones. You should look into darwin streaming server. It allows the audio formats needed to stream to cell phones. There is also a few software companies that have apps that allow you to stream. Off the top of my head I cannont think of any names but last time I looked it was a limited number.
Hope this helps.
teedo757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 01:45   #8
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

Bandwidth is an issue -- a phone convo only requires about 12-14kbps -- internet access via cell uses tricks to trim data (like rescaling images, and proxies) before they are sent so that the phone does not have to use as much memory to perform those conversions, or much bandwidth.

The players are also an issue -- Some may use formats like AAC+, but MP3 streams require too much bandwidth -- the player would have to support SHOUTcast specifically, not MP3s in general.

Consider the fact that a SHOUTcast can arrive in just about any MP3 bitrate possible -- that includes rates that no phone can handle yet -- remember, bandwidth is what costs, airtime at a fixed bitrate becomes just time (you pay for minutes) -- since SHOUTcast has a variable bitrate it cannot be supported easily until it can be limited (or bitrate standardized) in some way -- A webpage never cares about what bitrate it is being sent -- it will look the same when sent at 100Mbits/sec, as it will at 2400 baud (2.4Kbits/sec.).

* on that note -- I was playing around with my new AIM Triton -- it allows incoming phone calls, when I answer, it works like a DSP in soundcard mode -- I can pipe my stream to a caller -- regardless of the source bitrate, it sounds choppy, with a 2 or 3 second delay because the stream never gives the data transfer time and the buffering is low. That is to say that quality audio over a phone (wireless or otherwise) may not be in our near future.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 20:24   #9
GrooveRite

Quote:
Originally posted by djSpinnerCee
Bandwidth is an issue -- a phone convo only requires about 12-14kbps -- internet access via cell uses tricks to trim data (like rescaling images, and proxies) before they are sent so that the phone does not have to use as much memory to perform those conversions, or much bandwidth.

The players are also an issue -- Some may use formats like AAC+, but MP3 streams require too much bandwidth -- the player would have to support SHOUTcast specifically, not MP3s in general.

Consider the fact that a SHOUTcast can arrive in just about any MP3 bitrate possible -- that includes rates that no phone can handle yet -- remember, bandwidth is what costs, airtime at a fixed bitrate becomes just time (you pay for minutes) -- since SHOUTcast has a variable bitrate it cannot be supported easily until it can be limited (or bitrate standardized) in some way -- A webpage never cares about what bitrate it is being sent -- it will look the same when sent at 100Mbits/sec, as it will at 2400 baud (2.4Kbits/sec.).

* on that note -- I was playing around with my new AIM Triton -- it allows incoming phone calls, when I answer, it works like a DSP in soundcard mode -- I can pipe my stream to a caller -- regardless of the source bitrate, it sounds choppy, with a 2 or 3 second delay because the stream never gives the data transfer time and the buffering is low. That is to say that quality audio over a phone (wireless or otherwise) may not be in our near future.
Great info man, thank you! That clears things up alot...for me at least, lol. I have unlimited internet with my Sprint mobile phone and have EVDO (high speed internet) so I was hoping that it could be done.
Old 16th October 2006, 20:41   #10
GrooveRite

I was also able to stream shoutcast links via a program called Orb directly to my cell phone and it worked so I dont know how true DjSpinnerCee's comments hold up. I just dont want to keep my PC at home on all day in order to stream the links to my phone. I want to directly stream to my phone from the net.
Old 16th October 2006, 22:41   #11
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrooveRite
I just dont want to keep my PC at home on all day in order to stream the links to my phone. I want to directly stream to my phone from the net.
sorry , it's the only way to have a stream working

in order for you to be able to listen to a live stream you need to have a server running that gets it's music from a player with a dsp encoder .

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
FORUMRULES
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 02:44   #12
GMPCM

If the phone uses the Symbian S60 operating system you can use this application:
Muzee

I am not sure if that particular Samsung phone does, here is a list of the most popular S60 phones.
GMPCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 10:56   #13
mystica555

aac+ trans-encapsulating (for lack of better term)

I too am quite interested in if there is a way to do this:
Convert AAC+/ICY/HTTP into AAC+/RTP(or RTSP). That is what every Sprint EVDO phone understands: RTP/RTSP by way of .sdp files, and specifically Darwin streaming server. (Is this sacrilege to talk about here? )

Does this exist: some sort of re-streamer that takes the same aac+ data (which, being first-generation should sound quite good) and instead of decoding/reencoding with some other tool, just unwrap it from the HTTP stream, and put it into an RTP stream? That is the final goal that I have specifically for streaming things to my cellphone. Now, you might say "use orb" to me as well: sorry, i use Linux and Orb does not work. Plus, with many many internet streams using AAC+, albeit in HTTP/ICY mode, thats even more incentive for a -non- recoding way of doing this. If there was a simple background daemon that could fetch/reprocess/send thru darwin, it would make matters -much- better with 0 loss in sound quality thru reencoding.

Mike
mystica555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 13:28   #14
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

something like that is relatively simple to code.

Stripping off HTTP headers ( if there are any ) and adding the correct wrapper before sending it to another server is quite simple.

The main issue is that if the destination server requires the need to check the data types being sent, or if it will accept any data type, along with of course any start up chat with the destination server requires so it will accept the connection.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 22:30   #15
Goodtimez

One other option is (if your phone has pocket windows media player) to create an asx file for your stream. I had issues with a few of the winamp wannabe clones on my phone not connecting or constantly buffereing the stream.
Goodtimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 04:15   #16
calldon

Quote:
Originally posted by GrooveRite
Great info man, thank you! That clears things up alot...for me at least, lol. I have unlimited internet with my Sprint mobile phone and have EVDO (high speed internet) so I was hoping that it could be done.
I have Sprint. I just bought a Treo700p and stream two stations, mine and one other one, both 128kbps. Sound great when I am on the network. I also have a 24k aacplus stream that the programs don't officially support. But CorePlayer can stream it mono with an added codec.

PocketTunes came with the phone. Just type in the url for the stream, it usually ends with ".pls," into the "manage playlist" part.

Sprint customer service stinks. After dealing with them recently regarding this phone, I have placed all cell-phone salesmen officially beneath used-car salesmen on the food-chain. But I stayed with Sprint because of the network. It was better than any other cell-network and bought the Treo700p because of its ability to stream the ShoutCast stations. I love listening to ShoutCast stations through my car radio, using the cassette adapter.

D*
calldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 04:23   #17
calldon

Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
sorry , it's the only way to have a stream working

in order for you to be able to listen to a live stream you need to have a server running that gets it's music from a player with a dsp encoder .
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON...ERROR! No offence intended but that is simply not true. I receive ShoutCast stations directly on my Sprint Treo700p through PocketTunes and CorePlayer. On WindowsMoble Smartphones, either Pockettunes or PocketRadio will stream Shoutcast stations. No need for Orb.

I use Sprint evdo network. Might work with Verizon also. But two different T-Mobile salesmen told me the T-mobile network would not give me the ability to stream 128kbps streams. I assume the same would go for Cingular.

D*
calldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 14:40   #18
jokerone

If you are using a phone with the Symbian operating system you can download the free version of VirtualRadio from http://www.vradio.org

It works fine and has 700+ of most current Shoutcast stations included.
jokerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 16:34   #19
brazza

Try www.wauw.fm - offers a PC download that broadcasts radio to your mobile phone.
brazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 16:36   #20
brazza

OK - lets try not mentioning a URL. Wauw, a service of 24acess, offers a download to your pc that broadcasts internet radio to your phone from your pc.
brazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 18:27   #21
Charles@Kinoma

Kinoma is a SHOUTcast partner. We make Kinoma Play and Kinoma FreePlay.

My opinion is obviously biased, but I don't think you'll find a better SHOUTcast player on mobile than Kinoma Play and FreePlay. Both are available on Windows Mobile now, and are coming for other mobile OSs.

Kinoma FreePlay is free.

-- Charles Wiltgen
Charles@Kinoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 18:39   #22
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Kinoma is a SHOUTcast partner. We make Kinoma Play and Kinoma FreePlay.

My opinion is obviously biased, but I don't think you'll find a better SHOUTcast player on mobile than Kinoma Play and FreePlay. Both are available on Windows Mobile now, and are coming for other mobile OSs.

Kinoma FreePlay is free.

-- Charles Wiltgen
I reposted so your links could be seen since you are a SHOUTcast partner.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 19:01   #23
Charles@Kinoma

Quote:
Originally posted by Jkey
I reposted so your links could be seen since you are a SHOUTcast partner.
Thank you!

-- Charles Wiltgen
Charles@Kinoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support