Old 17th October 2003, 07:59   #1
charlierb3

Enqueing via "J" Key menu

Hey all,
I think it would be awesome to have the option to enqueue a song (instead of having it start immediately)via the "J" key jump menu - perhaps via a right click?
charlierb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 12:28   #2
martinlk

i've always wanted there to be some way to move songs behind (or after) the currently playing song. for instance, if i've loaded a playlist of ~500 mp3s and i'm scrolling through the list and i spot a song i want to play right after the one that's playing now, then there needs to be some kind of right click option like "move below current" or something. that way you could build up a small playlist inside a bigger one. cool!

btw, the way i do this now is find a song and then draaaag it up the playlist until i reach the currently playing song and then place it right below that one. and this kinda sucks!
martinlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 13:25   #3
DrO

this would be so easy to do if it was possible to get the index of the currently selected item in the playlist (is possible via means and ways to get at the filename / path of the selected item - much playing done to get at it ) but not the item index

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 16:17   #4
popatr

You can find the index of the currently selected, though you have to go through heck to find out. There are a few queue plugins that do it.
popatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 16:28   #5
DrO

Quote:
you have to go through heck to find out
know that one so well

would be a lot easier though if there was an inbuilt way to get the item (even multiple selections )

-daz
Old 18th October 2003, 02:26   #6
Veej007

www.wincue.org
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 14:16   #7
Mmusicman

Yes, Winque can do it...but I'd also prefer to be able to do it from the "J" key function...to be able to "que" into next playing slot. (I hate dragging selections up from bottom of list too, Martinlk.)

(this option has NOT be included in WA5 beta version...for those waiting and hoping...)
Mmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 19:23   #8
Veej007

shift+enter in wincue 1.35 cues as next.

try it, guys, this plugin has changed my life.
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 15:34   #9
asandvig

Quote:
Originally posted by Veej007
shift+enter in wincue 1.35 cues as next.

try it, guys, this plugin has changed my life.
thanks, can i quote you on that?

btw:
i'm working on winamp5 + drag&drop support for wincue as well for those of you who are interested.
asandvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 21:54   #10
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to GqSkrub
can you work on Shift-enter enqueuing from the Jump to file "j" menu?

<edit> i tried to delete this but apparently i dont'have access to do this, sorry </edit>

No sig here folks.
GqSkrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 21:54   #11
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to GqSkrub

No sig here folks.
GqSkrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 22:34   #12
Mmusicman

Yes, and can you make it possible for shift-enter to be the default for double-clicking..? (would be REALLY awsome!)
Old 20th October 2003, 23:48   #13
lunarboy1
Forum King

all you people really want is the alt-click feature in wa3 :-) hopefully that can come soon... I might have to try wincue to see if that does something like it
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2003, 10:36   #14
asandvig

Quote:
Originally posted by GqSkrub
Maybe I can try to hijack the "Jump to file" dialog and make it a bit neater It would be quite a hack, if it's even possible, and what I don't like about these kind of solutions is that they are bound to break whenever Winamp changes I guess adding a totally different "jump to file" feature all together would be better..?
Old 27th October 2003, 13:31   #15
DrO

it should be fairly easy to do (for a hack that is )

just need to sublclass the main winamp window and then detect when the 'jump to file' dialog is to be opened. when you get that then you need to find the window and sublcass it (easy to do since the window title will always be the same so it can be found)

then you can go from there handling messages as you need to do. i've some code that will do a subclass on the mp3 info window (the alt+3 one) and it should be very quick to alter the code to work for the 'jump to file' dialog.

in fact i'll post the code i have for it as soon as i can find it on my machine (will be in c)

-daz
Old 27th October 2003, 21:23   #16
asandvig

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
it should be fairly easy to do (for a hack that is )

just need to sublclass the main winamp window and then detect when the 'jump to file' dialog is to be opened. when you get that then you need to find the window and sublcass it (easy to do since the window title will always be the same so it can be found)
Yeah, I know the drill. I'm already doing this to hijack the Winamp right-click menu and a few other features. However, this is still a "hack" as what I woould probably do is make a new "Jump to file" dialog alltogehter and just display that one instead whenever the user presses the "J" button or selects "Jump to file" from the menu. This would then automatically break whatever functionaliy which may be added to the original dialog in future versions of Winamp. But then again I guess I could just add an option for it. (but then again agin I think WinCue is alerady getting kinda bloated with options, it's getting kinda hard for a newcomer to grasp it all at
Old 28th October 2003, 12:50   #17
Squee_22

Quote:
Originally posted by martinlk
i've always wanted there to be some way to move songs behind (or after) the currently playing song. for instance, if i've loaded a playlist of ~500 mp3s and i'm scrolling through the list and i spot a song i want to play right after the one that's playing now, then there needs to be some kind of right click option like "move below current" or something. that way you could build up a small playlist inside a bigger one. cool!

btw, the way i do this now is find a song and then draaaag it up the playlist until i reach the currently playing song and then place it right below that one. and this kinda sucks!

I love this Idea. Is there perhaps a plugin that can do this?
Squee_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 14:00   #18
DrO

Quote:
Is there perhaps a plugin that can do this?
@Squee_22: that's what is being talked about

@asandvig: subclassing is great fun not sure that you would need to do a new dialog altogether but it should be possible to add in right-click menus and that as is needed (i didn't have enough time to knock up the example in the end tonight i hope though just as a proof of concept)

it might be best to create a seperate plugin (instead of adding the extra into wincue) and have it dedicated to just this use (or allow it to work with wincue if it's installed depending on how you're plugin is setup).

-daz
Old 28th October 2003, 14:29   #19
Dipso

Clearly the most elegant sulution would be if nullsoft just added a button called "encue" in the jump to menu, and a shortcut for it if you pressed ctr+enter in the dialog.

Ofcourse this would need for the WA3 enqueueing feature to be implemented firtst.

And to those who want to point out the repeated point about classic skin compatibility, wouldnt some square brackets or something do the trick (instead of colors in wa3/modern)

Like:
NORMAL: 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles
ENQUEUED: [1] 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles

That way you could still use the font and skin from the 2.0/classic skins in that mode, and have wa3 style enqueueing, that could be either done the standard "alt(or was it ctrl?)+click on track" way, or through the jump to file addition mentioned above.

But it definately should be a button in the dialog inadidtion to the ctrl+click method, so people will know that feature is there.

Like this:

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.

Last edited by Dipso; 28th October 2003 at 14:44.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 15:17   #20
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
And to those who want to point out the repeated point about classic skin compatibility, wouldnt some square brackets or something do the trick (instead of colors in wa3/modern)

Like:
NORMAL: 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles
ENQUEUED: [1] 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles
that's a good idea that Dipso hmmm, without fully knowing how the dialog works at the moment, putting the queue item part can't be to difficult to do (just a few api calls and the text can be altered) it just then leaves the queue mechanism to keep track of things though which asandvig appears to be the one who knows the way of that force

-daz
Old 28th October 2003, 18:59   #21
WHEREamI
Major Dude

wait... so why can't we all just use winamp3? since it has the features we want? and since Jump-To-Files we like better than wa2's J-key?

but if we can't use wa3, then Dispo's idea is good. keeping track of things wouldn't be that hard. just keep an internal list of the queued files (by file name), in the queue order. when one of the queued files get's played, remove it from the list, re-write all the title texts.
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 23:18   #22
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
wait... so why can't we all just use winamp3? since it has the features we want? and since Jump-To-Files we like better than wa2's J-key?

but if we can't use wa3, then Dispo's idea is good. keeping track of things wouldn't be that hard. just keep an internal list of the queued files (by file name), in the queue order. when one of the queued files get's played, remove it from the list, re-write all the title texts.
Because winamp3 is discontinued. And winamp 5.0 will eventually have all of the features that winamp3 currently has, aswell as all the functionality of winamp 2.x

One problem with winamp3 was that it alieneted part of the userbase because the of rushed nature of winamp3 (damn you AOL)caused several often used features and interface habits failed to be included in the software.

Users not being able to use the software the way they where used to and the fact that incomplete skin rendering engine caused the software to be slow, was the cause (IMO) of the faliure of winamp3.

Now note; i used winamp3 up until the release of winamp 5.0 and had no real complaints about it. And as winamp3 matured, it showed real promisse.

But, i do consider winamp 5.0 a step in the right direction, market whise as it rights some of the faults that so sadly caused the fall of winamp 5.0

The idea of winamp3 lives on in the continued development of the wasabi platform.

Bottomline, AOL rushing nullsoft caused the release of something closer to a proof-of-concept then a working piece of software, and this caused the situation we have now.

If we all remain supportive of winamp 5.0 and remain active in the debate on how to make the software better, i have no doubt that winamp will once again be the most feature rich, and fuctional player of them all, heck it already is

heh.. this turned into "the history of winamp" or something.
Old 29th October 2003, 08:11   #23
WHEREamI
Major Dude

i entirely agree with you (especially the goddam aol influence), except for your first statement:
Quote:
Because winamp3 is discontinued. And winamp 5.0 will eventually have all of the features that winamp3 currently has, aswell as all the functionality of winamp 2.x
Winamp3 is not discontinued forever. it has been placed on hold. Surely you realize the power of the consumer?? if people *use* winamp3, then Nullsoft has no reason to develop winamp 5.

the Wasabi in Winamp 5 will never work as well as it can in Winamp3, because inserting Wasabi into a gen_ff.dll is a big ass hack. therefore, Winamp 5 will *never* have all the features winamp3 has. example: all the components written for winamp3 which don't and can't work in winamp 5, and even if can be ported, would be ugly and not work as well in winamp 5.

~WHEREamI
Old 29th October 2003, 13:09   #24
DrO

and back on to topic (but i agree winamp3 was not given the real chance it deserves - the developer builds were getting really good too hey even my PII could run it )

firstly i'm sure it's the 'alt+click' that is winamp3's enqueue option (realised the pictures above and also a few comments are stating 'ctrl+click' - just to clarify i hope )

anyway i spent a bit of time on this last night and i'll post my test plugin as soon as i can get onto a proper machine to upload the file.

let's just say it shows the following:[list=1][*]an added enqueue button[*]popup right-click menu for the item in the list that was below the mouse on click[*]a few little menu options[*]now what was it 'alt+click' on an item to enqueue next?!?! [/list=1]-daz
Old 29th October 2003, 14:08   #25
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
firstly i'm sure it's the 'alt+click' that is winamp3's enqueue option (realised the pictures above and also a few comments are stating 'ctrl+click' - just to clarify i hope )
hehe alt+click it is then i wasn't entierly sure as you can se from my post

Great news about the plugin, keep it up

Oh, and for consistensy, alt+enter should prolly be in the "jump menu" instead of ctrl+enter too.
Old 29th October 2003, 14:31   #26
DrO

here we go, put on your sun glasses

if there are issues then please say but since it was only aimed as test a test until half an hour before i left for work and i got a little something extra working so please don't expect the full works.

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip jumpex_v0_5.zip (2.6 KB, 734 views)
Old 29th October 2003, 20:13   #27
WHEREamI
Major Dude

only issue i found, other than it not being done, is the enqueue button placement. picky, i know. nice work!

~WHEREamI
Old 29th October 2003, 20:14   #28
Dipso

Reply: Heh cool... one thing... [enqueue extra-> enqueue after current song] , should be renamed to "Extra>Move song under current"

Also keep the cancel button on the bottom right as this is the default position for it in most cases. (feels most natural for me atleast)
Old 29th October 2003, 21:10   #29
WHEREamI
Major Dude

ah, yes.. i agree. enqueue after current doesn't really imply that it will get moved.
Old 30th October 2003, 04:13   #30
Mmusicman

DrO! You are the MAN!! Awsome! Been waiting for this one for years!! (plus it even moves the selection!) Can you make "Enque after current song" the double-click default? Either way, you just made my life alot easier!!!!!!!
Old 30th October 2003, 10:40   #31
asandvig

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
here we go, put on your sun glasses

if there are issues then please say but since it was only aimed as test a test until half an hour before i left for work and i got a little something extra working so please don't expect the full works.
Could you post (or e-mail me) the source code for this plug-in? I noticed you use a different technique for moving playlist entries, and I would like to check it out.
Old 30th October 2003, 13:17   #32
DrO

what a welcome to find

i'll make those changes for tomorrow's version and get a basic enqueue working for the button i hope ie a 1.0 release

the aim after that would be to implement something similar to Dipso's suggestion of a multiple queue.

@asandvig: the moving entries part is just from sending a few messages to the playlist window but i'll pm you the code when i can

-daz
Old 30th October 2003, 18:06   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Looking good DrO . . . definitely getting there!

btw, I've found this:

Winamp3 Enqueue Plugin for Winamp 2.x
http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/de...onentId=134816
http://mitglied.lycos.de/Daishy/WEnqeue/ (latest version)

Works fine in 2.9x
Can't seem to get the plugin interface to appear in Winamp 5
but the 'W' key works in the playlist, which brings up a search box where you can enqueue items. This part of it works. Maybe someone else here will have better luck getting the rest of it to work ?!

[edit] aah, the plugin window appears with classic skins, but not modern [/edit]
[edit2] sussed it out, lol. All working now [/edit2]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2003, 01:03   #34
Dipso

Although the best thing WOULD be if nullsoft spared us of all the trouble

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 31st October 2003, 01:59   #35
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I'm sure they will . . . but I doubt if it will be in 5.0 . . . who knows?
Maybe in 5.1 (Surround Sound Edition, lol)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2003, 11:50   #36
DrO

Quote:
Looking good DrO . . . definitely getting there!
just wait for the next release a in a bit

[hint]enqueue support[/hint]

-daz
Old 31st October 2003, 13:33   #37
DrO

here's the latest version.

altered the layout of things a bit (and used your suggestions for the menus) as you'll see

main feature is that 'enqueue' works (and will check in all cases if the file to play exists at the same position for when it was enqueued - may improve it to handle it being moved in the playlist)

is either shift or control double-click to move the song after current and close the dialog (can't remember - was late when i added it in)

a few other bits and bobs but is now a functional feature.

for the next release the aim is 'alt+click' to add items to a queue list and maybe a bit more freedom over configuration i hope + any suggestions coming my way

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_jumpex_v0_8d.zip (3.2 KB, 720 views)
Old 31st October 2003, 21:18   #38
WHEREamI
Major Dude

nice. it definitely works. are you planning to implement Dispo's [#] idea to indicate cues? is that even possible? i think there's a way to set playlist text, though maybe thats only for an input plugin. Sorry, i'm a wa3 programmer.

if not, well, some indication of what has been enqued would be nice, other than the last thing enqued.

the force shuffle off was a nice touch too. not sure why anyone would want to disable it, even.

~WHEREamI
Old 31st October 2003, 21:40   #39
Mmusicman

(WHEREamI), I never use shuffle mode, but rather "pre-shuffle" or randomly mix my playlists...I like to know what is playing next.

(hope that offers some insight)
Old 1st November 2003, 04:44   #40
WHEREamI
Major Dude

I'm not sure what you were offering insight to. perhaps you didn't quite understand what i meant. The force shuffle off feature turns off the shuffle when a song is "moved after currently playing." my comment praised this, since it makes sense, but i'd never have thought of it. if the shuffle was still on, then it might not play that file next.

personally i don't like my playlists pre-shuffled (i like organization), but i can see where you're coming from, wanting to know what will play next.

~WHEREamI
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion