Old 8th August 2006, 21:59   #201
djtaylor

Quote:
Originally posted by F_L_C
Regular MP3s are stereo sources. How were you getting surround with stereo sources on WA v5.24 (w/out a surround plugin)?
Winamp 5.1 and above play sound through the rear speakers too. This is even with 2 channel audio and without any plugins.
Old 8th August 2006, 22:37   #202
kearnemj

heh, sorry for the confusion, im not totally knowledeable myself about it. but from what i understand in grossly oversimplifed terms is that 24bit is the actual degree to which the sound is duplicated digitaly from its recorded source, and the higher the number the better (24bit is superior to 16bit, i.e. dvd-audio 24-bit,cd 16-bit). While 32bit floating point is an algorithm that attempts to 'guess' or virtualize a 32bit audio stream, and is not true 32bit, and can lead to some problems when this isnt supported on both hardware and software. damn...i dont know if that even help me. anyways back to the topic at hand!

Old 8th August 2006, 22:39   #203
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by djtaylor
Winamp 5.1 and above play sound through the rear speakers too. This is even with 2 channel audio and without any plugins.
So does 5.25. Make sure out_ds is selected as Output and 'allow hardware acceleration' is checkmarked in out_ds config (note, this is referred to as multi-speaker output, not surround sound).
Old 8th August 2006, 23:24   #204
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
Quote:
Originally posted by F_L_C
Yeah, v4.62 is the latest official driver...at least for NF2 boards. There is a v4.64 available at MSFT Update but that version lowers the number of available sound buffers by default and is also meant more for Vista compatibility. So, I'm staying away from that.

I really don't see how that would make a difference. Besides, I got the analog cables for the Z-5500 packed away in the attic.

What did make a difference was installing the ATsurround plugin and enabling 32bit output in its settings. This somehow reenabled hardware acceleration in the DS status tab. If I switch to 24bit, then back to software. So, I have to conclude that the problem is either the in_mp3.dll or out_ds.dll plugins.
some motherboards don't allow digital audio hardware acceleration some do.
Old 9th August 2006, 04:55   #205
net-cruizer

I spent all last night and today trying to download this new release on my crappy wireless connection, to find that the tray icon tooltip still does not show up, which is very annoying. Seems weird that it'd be missing in the first place.
Anyone know if that can be ResHacked?
Old 9th August 2006, 08:01   #206
DrO

the tray icon thing is fixed for final and was related to the unicode changes altering what the OS expected which caused things to fail.

-daz
Old 9th August 2006, 08:21   #207
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Hey, what about the installer annoyance?

Old 9th August 2006, 08:26   #208
osmosis
Major Dude

seconded, but with the addition of the ability to uncheck all the ML components you don't want. also i don't install ml_pmp but i install ml_online; with ml_online checked, it forces me to install ml_pmp even though all the pmp_devices in the tree beneath it are also unchecked.

edit: i know it's not called ml_online/ml_pmp in the installer, but you know what they correspond to.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 9th August 2006, 08:34   #209
DrO

i don't know about the installer, i keep pestering on certain aspects of it but it's down to one of the other dev team to sort out who i don't have any contact with so i wouldn't hold your hopes up...

-daz
Old 9th August 2006, 09:36   #210
Mouser X

Re: in_snes.dll

Quote:
Originally posted by lord_ah
hey

my collection of snes 'rsn' files doesnt play with these beta's. will this be fixed?

*for those that dont know, rsn is just a renamed rar archive with lots of .spc sound files which are ripped using zsnes etc.

kind regards
Actually, when I installed SNESAmp 3.2, I had the same problem. Winamp crashed. And this was an older version of Winamp (5.2, at best). Revert to SNESAmp 3.1. That's what I've been using, since 3.2 broke a lot of stuff.[/end hijack]

Uh, if this isn't appropreiate, could someone PM with a better means of communicating this? Mouser X out.
Old 9th August 2006, 13:08   #211
kr4zy

Nobody who can reproduce my rating/playcount problem? I noticed tracks that have been in the ML for a long time are the one's getting resetted, and now all of a sudden all tracks that are newly added get automatically rated ** when clicking them lol...
Old 9th August 2006, 14:29   #212
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Correct. No-one can reproduce it.
Confirm a clean install of 5.25 beta build 801 with no 3rd-party plugins.
Old 9th August 2006, 14:55   #213
djtaylor

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
So does 5.25. Make sure out_ds is selected as Output and 'allow hardware acceleration' is checkmarked in out_ds config (note, this is referred to as multi-speaker output, not surround sound).
In which case, stereo output could also be referred to as multi-speaker output, since that also uses more than one speaker. And why was Winamp 5.1 labelled 'surround sound edition'? I'm aware that the sound coming from the rear speakers is the same as that coming from the front (for 2-channel audio, anyway), but it's still surround sound.

Anyway, yes, I'm using out_ds for output and 'allow hardware acceleration' is selected.

After some experimenting, I've found that sound comes from the rear speakers when 'allow 24 bit' (in general prefs -> playback) is NOT selected, and from the front speakers only when 'allow 24 bit' IS selected.

Any chance of fixing 2-4 in my original post?

Last edited by djtaylor; 9th August 2006 at 15:11.
Old 9th August 2006, 15:14   #214
kr4zy

Quote:
Correct. No-one can reproduce it.
Confirm a clean install of 5.25 beta build 801 with no 3rd-party plugins.
I already said that on the first post
Old 9th August 2006, 16:17   #215
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Always post a link to your original post with any follow-ups, or quote the original post. Makes things alot easier for us, heh.

That all said & done, we still can't reproduce the problem.
Playcounts & Ratings are all working as expected here.

@djtaylor
What's your soundcard? More than likely, it's a hardware limitation if you don't get sound coming out of all speakers when the 24-bit option is enabled.

Stereo/2-channel is standard, and not classed as multi-speaker output (5.1/7.1/etc).
Surround Sound means that the music was recorded in e.g. 5.1, ie. it's not just a basic stereo signal split over the front/rear channels.
Winamp 5.1 came with demo.aac which was a 5.1-channel recording, hence the Surround Edition label, even though Winamp already supported playback of surround sound encoded files prior to 5.1. It was mainly just a play on the 5.1 tag.
And Winamp has supported multi-speaker output (quad/5.1/7.1) since Peter's out_ds was first included waaay back in v2.8 ish.

Re: your original post

#2 is already fixed for 5.25 final. Thanks.

#3 & #4 have been forwarded to the appropriate department which deals specifically with the installer, so we shall see...
Old 9th August 2006, 16:21   #216
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Stereo/2-channel is standard, and not classed as multi-speaker output (5.1/7.1/etc).
Surround sound means that the music was recorded in e.g. 5.1, ie. it's not just a basic stereo signal split over the front/rear channels.
Winamp 5.1 came with demo.aac which was a 5.1channel recording, hence the Surround Edition label, even though it already supported playback of surround sound encoded files prior to 5.1. It was mainly just a play on the 5.1 tag.
We first turned hardware acceleration on by default in 5.1.
Old 9th August 2006, 16:22   #217
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

That as well :-D
Old 9th August 2006, 16:36   #218
bemymonkey

Oh... and here I thought the "allow surround sound" option in the playback preferences was there to upmix stereo sound files to 5.1 or whatever speaker config the user has...

What DOES it do when it's unchecked? Are 5.1 recorded files simply downmixed to 2.1?

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 9th August 2006, 16:47   #219
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Not sure, if I agree with the global option to enable 24Bit support. Main issue is, that most people simply don't know what 24 bit means.

Most people think:

24Bit > 16Bit = better.

There can come several errors and crashes, when you enable this feature on boards, which don't support 24bit, also broken drivers can occur several errors.

At least an info popup, like the old vorbis decoder has, which provides some infos about possible risks would be nice when you enable this feature the first time.

Just me and bemymonkey have problems with the OSD? I've disabled this feature, 'cause the OSD in no longer usable for me in 5.25 (clean install, no 3rd party plugin). If you really need, I can provide more informations about my system.
Old 9th August 2006, 16:55   #220
bemymonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper

Just me and bemymonkey have problems with the OSD? I've disabled this feature, 'cause the OSD in no longer usable for me in 5.25 (clean install, no 3rd party plugin). If you really need, I can provide more informations about my system.
This has been bothering me for quite a few releases now, not just 5.25... What happens is the parts of the OSD move around (i.e. all of a sudden I've got the part that's usually on the bottom, meaning the progress bar and playback controls, on the top as well - the title is no longer displayed), or it becomes distorted (i.e. the playback controls are jumbled), or it just doesn't appear at all (2 black bars appear in place... lol.).

This happens without plugins installed, with and without FFDShow...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 9th August 2006, 17:01   #221
djtaylor

Quote:
What's your soundcard? More than likely, it's a hardware limitation if you don't get sound coming out of all speakers when the 24-bit option is enabled.
Yes, I've since noticed that out_ds reports software mixing when 'allow 24-bit' is selected (hardware mixing when it's not), and read in an earlier post that nVidia SoundStorm (my sound card) doesn't support 24-bit. I was sure it did though. I've just looked at the specification in the manual but it doesn't say anything about it. Ah well. :|

Quote:
Re: your original post

#2 is already fixed for 5.25 final. Thanks.

#3 & #4 have been forwarded to the appropriate department which deals specifically with the installer, so we shall see...
Thanks!
Old 9th August 2006, 17:03   #222
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
This has been bothering me for quite a few releases now, not just 5.25
Yeah but rarely. With 5.25, it happens nearly everytime.
Quote:
i.e. all of a sudden I've got the part that's usually on the bottom, meaning the progress bar and playback controls, on the top as well - the title is no longer displayed
Yeah, with 5.25 I see the progress bar twice, or sometime just the word "Progress", one on top and one on bottom. The other components of the OSD are not visible.
Old 9th August 2006, 17:06   #223
YtseJam
Forum King

Egg, what about my installer issue? That installer issue is as old as, well, the installer's first appearance!

(DrO, yeah, I wanna hear it from Egg :P)

Old 9th August 2006, 17:09   #224
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
At least an info popup, like the old vorbis decoder has, which provides some infos about possible risks would be nice when you enable this feature the first time.
Good idea.
Old 9th August 2006, 17:26   #225
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by YtseJam
*shrugs*, i try to offer help as things were known, i dunno why i bother

-daz
Old 9th August 2006, 18:38   #226
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Quote:
Originally posted by YtseJam
Egg, what about my installer issue? That installer issue is as old as, well, the installer's first appearance!

And how about this one? I know it made it to the Wishlist, but that was only to please someone who shall remain unnamed.

jmat
Old 9th August 2006, 20:22   #227
amano
Major Dude

Did I mention already that the split up ML components should really be handled by the installer as well? What helps being able to disable ML components if they are re-installed with every beta and final release. Quite annoying.

/me thinks that the installer could deserve a major overhaul.

Some suffer from the "minimal install" default not working.
Some want winamp not to automatically start itself after a new installation (at least the option to disable that).
Some want nifty silent switches (for unattended installations).
And the "anonymous usage report" dialog should be moved rather to the rest of the install process than to the next winamp start. I don't see why that should be separated.
And last but not least I would like to be finally able to stop it from installing out_wave on XP/2000 every time (it does so for about 8 years already)

oh. well

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 9th August 2006, 22:05   #228
bemymonkey

Here's an example of the issue Koopatrooper and I are experiencing... see attachment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-1.jpg (17.8 KB, 275 views)

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 9th August 2006, 22:08   #229
niktheguru

Guys, with build 801 i cannot close winamp using the winamp icon in the taskbar anymore. If i do, it crashes (like it did in 5.24 but NOT in the previous 5.25 build) It was fixed in the last beta build but now it crashes again. If i close winamp using the main window then it shuts fine. Any ideas? (clean install etc)

Nikhil
Old 9th August 2006, 22:10   #230
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Does it make any difference if you uncheck "use skin/langpack font" in Prefs > Playlist, and select a different font from the drop-down menu? (the osd uses whatever font is selected here).
Old 9th August 2006, 22:11   #231
bemymonkey

Nope... I just unchecked it and that just made the OSD disappear completely (black bars instead)... but that happens sometimes when it's checked too...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 9th August 2006, 22:13   #232
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by niktheguru
Guys, with build 801 i cannot close winamp using the winamp icon in the taskbar anymore. If i do, it crashes (like it did in 5.24 but NOT in the previous 5.25 build) It was fixed in the last beta build but now it crashes again. If i close winamp using the main window then it shuts fine. Any ideas? (clean install etc)
Does this make a difference?

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
Old 9th August 2006, 22:27   #233
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by bemymonkey
Nope... I just unchecked it and that just made the OSD disappear completely (black bars instead)... but that happens sometimes when it's checked too...
And how many/which different fonts did you try?

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but do you have DPI set to Large Size (as opposed to Normal Size) in: Display Control Panel > Settings > Advanced?

Other than that, I really aren't sure, heh.
Old 9th August 2006, 22:39   #234
bemymonkey

DPI is set to normal... I'll try out a few fonts now...

-edit- switching fonts didn't change a thing...

Could it have something to do with alternate themes for Windows? I'm using a visual style that's not exactly standard, but then again, judging by the "post your desktop" threads, most people here do... so that shouldn't be the problem...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 10th August 2006, 04:33   #235
YtseJam
Forum King

Display of song info when hovering the systray icon is still broken in this build.

Old 10th August 2006, 08:21   #236
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
the tray icon thing is fixed for final and was related to the unicode changes altering what the OS expected which caused things to fail.

-daz
Old 10th August 2006, 12:38   #237
bemymonkey

Wow... I just found a HUGE bug. When opening DivX files larger than 2GB, Winamp just freezes up - the video window never shows up but the sound plays... The complete GUI locks up, the only thing that works is using task manager to end the process...

This is with FFDShow...

Just checked - going back to 5.24 solves it, so it's definitely a 5.25 issue! Build 801 exhibits this behavior, can't find my 7xx install file to test that...

Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 10th August 2006, 14:07   #238
Cianca

what is this?

Quote:
Access to ML views/playlists from main window / tray icon menu.
Implemented for 5.25

The universal god of light, love, wisdom and rok n rol
Old 10th August 2006, 14:26   #239
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cianca
what is this?
New options under the "Play" submenu in the main right-click popup menu
Old 10th August 2006, 15:16   #240
Cianca