Old 7th April 2007, 08:55   #201
denilson3

Send a message via AIM to denilson3 Send a message via Yahoo to denilson3
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
It would be nice if someone could confirm if video playback is any better using GDI+ (also on Windows Vista).

Image quality is much improved! However the performance is really lousy (100% processor usage, stuttering frames) compared to smooth playback in WMP 11. I just recently switched from divx 6.5.1 to ffdshow to get rid of the com surrogate errors though, so I will test tomorrow with the divx codec.
Old 7th April 2007, 10:33   #202
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ ujay / composer
Weird. I honestly can't reproduce it. I've tried every single known method of playing a CD in Winamp (Main Menu > Play > Audio CD, Play/Add > Folder, ML > Rip & Burn > Play/Enqueue, Play/Add > URL > cda://x, etc etc), and all the cddb titles for every track always show for me if 'read metadata when files are viewed' is selected in Prefs > Titles (and yes, I either cleared the titles first or used a new CD - for each different method).

@ denilson3
Thanks for the feedback. Dang! Not good :-(
Old 7th April 2007, 10:55   #203
ujay
Forum King

Seems like you need to satisfy all the following to see it, even then, it may still be something to do with network connection/speed.

1. Must have 'Read when viewed' set.
2. Must have PE window open.
3. Must use a virgin CD.
4. Must open with Play > Audio CD

Main point being that the CDDB update has not completed before writing to PE window starts.

Egg - are you saying CDDB operates the same as with 'Read when loaded' for you. i.e. The CDDB lookup is done, THEN the window is updated ?

UJ
Old 7th April 2007, 14:40   #204
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: Winamp 5.34 Beta Preview 4 - Null Album Artist

Quote:
Winamp 5.34 Beta, Build 1239 (Preview 4) is now available.
Quote:
Originally posted by jph6t
I deleted my ML and rescanned the watch folders ...
Still no luck with a null Album Artist SmartView.
I read the metadata on all my files ...
Still no luck with a null Album Artist SmartView.
Any other ideas?
Ok, after installing Beta 4, deleting my ML and rescanning, I was finally able to get a NULL Album Artist SmartView to work (Query = "albumartist ISEMPTY").
Thank you DEV team.

However, this wasn't easy, because after rescanning ... all my files had a value for Album Artist. I first had to find a way to actually CLEAR the value in Album Artist!
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkRH
I'm not sure if this is a bug, intended behavior, or what. But, with any newly imported MP3 file, the Media Library will give it an Album Artist even when the band tag is empty. When you look at the file information, the Album Artist field is empty. Seems like the Media Library just assume's that an empty album artist/band tag should be the same as the Artist/Trackartist within it's views. Just makes it a little confusing when trying to determine if songs have an empty Album Artist(band) field or not.
As MarkRH documented, the "View file info..." window does not show a value
for Album Artist even though the ML does. (Screen Shot)

Winamp is auto-populating the Album Artist value, and so I had NO WAY to clear the Album Artist field. I finally succeeded in clearing the Album Artist value by using "Edit selected items...".
  • Can the "View file info..." window be fixed to show/update
    the Album Artist value auto-populated by Winamp.
I am uncomfortable with the Album Artist being auto-populated. Can an option be added to drive this behavior? I painstakingly tag my files ... and do NOT really want my player taking liberties with my ID3v2 information. I mean, filters are one thing ... but this is actually messing with MY data. Such automatic updates of the ID3v2 is my primary gripe with iTunes. It's my data, it should not be played with unless I give explicit permission (even though this is an intuitive update that I'm sure many people will use).

Last edited by jph6t; 7th April 2007 at 17:09.
Old 7th April 2007, 15:46   #205
jph6t
Major Dude

Feature Request - Compare Fields In SmartView Query

I know this thread is not the place to log feature requests, but since this one relates to the above post and related conversation around the setting of Album Artist,
I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Can the ability be added to compare fields with one another when constructing SmartView queries?

I am looking to create a SmartView where I can compare the Album Artist and Artist fields (for validation purposes). (Query = "albumartist != artist")

A thread logging this feature request is in the Wishlist forum here.
Old 7th April 2007, 16:06   #206
jph6t
Major Dude

Winamp 5.34 Beta Preview 4 - Query Language Documentation

On a ML SmartView, right-click and select "Edit View..."
Go to the "Advanced Editor" tab.

The "Query Language Documentation" needs to be updated with the names
of the fields that have been added in recent releases (~v5.32 forward).

Also, might I suggest alphabetizing the list of fields names as it appears in the drop down(s) available on the "Simple View Editor" tab.
Old 7th April 2007, 17:05   #207
denilson3

Send a message via AIM to denilson3 Send a message via Yahoo to denilson3
Quote:
Originally posted by denilson3
Image quality is much improved! However the performance is really lousy (100% processor usage, stuttering frames) compared to smooth playback in WMP 11. I just recently switched from divx 6.5.1 to ffdshow to get rid of the com surrogate errors though, so I will test tomorrow with the divx codec.
Some good news! I realized I had YV12 overlay unchecked, with it on the video is much better. Still, on my P4 2.4 with Vista Ultimate and 1.5 gb ram I still get 75-90% CPU usage and its not perfectly smooth like WMP11 (CPU around 50-60%). I would say performance is passable, but not really good enough yet for use as an everyday video player on my machine.

When I disabled Aero, CPU dropped to 50-60% and performance was great--like that of XP.

Also when I was testing with Aero disabled I noticed a bug that when you double click on a video to go to fullscreen or press the fullscreen button on the video window, the video does not maximize correctly. Most of the screen is black and the the portion of video playing is equivalent to the size of the video window before entering fullscreeen. Its a bit difficult to describe but readily apparent when it happens. Let me know if you need a screenshot.
Old 7th April 2007, 19:09   #208
woeger

[content deleted]

Yes, we know about it. Yes it will be fixed. Thanks
-DJ Egg
Old 7th April 2007, 19:50   #209
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ denilson3

Yeah, don't uncheck 'allow yv12 overaly', not unless you've got a really old graphics card (which is unlikely if you're running Vista, heh).

So there's still a problem with Aero then?
Hmm, I thought we'd found a workaround/fix for that, but maybe not.

I'm not sure about the fullscreen issue either, heh.

@ jph6t

Can you code? If yes, see here :-p

Or maybe you have a spare cloning machine that we can use? ;-)

Re: AlbumArtist:
It doesn't actually write it to the tags, it only auto-populates the mldb, and I explained why in my previous post about the subject.

Re: smartview & atf/tagz documentation:
Yes, we know they need updating.
Yes, it will hopefully get done at some point.
The atf documentation screen is already too big as it is, and would require a complete redesign first. Though yeah, the SmartView stuff will probably be a bit easier to update. But with the present lack of resources/staff, it's pretty much low down on the to-do list at the moment.

Old 7th April 2007, 20:01   #210
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Egg: I guess, it won't surprise you, but I agree with
jph6t.

We need at least an option to disable this behavior, because as it is now, it's confusing.
Old 7th April 2007, 21:47   #211
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
I also agree. It is confusing and annoying. Whether Benski likes it or not...

It should be possible, to uncheck this "feature".

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 8th April 2007, 02:23   #212
Melkor

Quote:
@ Melkor
Hmm, strange. Alas, we can't reproduce the problem
Sorry for wasting your time, turns out the balance was all on the left, which leaves me wondering now why i was getting any sound on the right. Still feel like an idiot for checking everything but the in-winamp balance.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:47   #213
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
Can you code? If yes, see here :-p
Damn, someone beat me to it. Nothing available.
Quote:
Or maybe you have a spare cloning machine that we can use? ;-)
I do, but it still has some kinks in it. As it is now, you'd end up with this
half Benski/half fly monstrosity that would not be usful to anyone.
Quote:
Re: smartview & atf/tagz documentation:
Yes, we know they need updating.
Yes, it will hopefully get done at some point.
I know the DEV team is short handed. I did NOT IN ANYWAY mean to imply that stuff was not getting done fast enough. I was just trying to help. I didn't know you already knew about it. If it is on a list somewhere that's fine.

Last edited by jph6t; 8th April 2007 at 16:28.
Old 8th April 2007, 16:28   #214
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: Winamp 5.34 Beta Preview 4 - Null Album Artist

Quote:
It doesn't actually write it to the tags, it only auto-populates the mldb, and I explained why in my previous post about the subject.
Ok, I see. And yes, updating the MLDB is technically different than updating the
ID3v2 tags themselves. So from a data integrity standpoint, not quite as troubling
as I originally thought.

However ... three (3) functional concerns still remain in my mind:
  1. You now have a scenario where ID3v2 information and MLDB information are NOT in-sync (and this is song info we're talking about, not user info like playcount or something). This makes it very hard to know where the data is actually stored, and what I will get in the way of ID3v2 info if I pack up my file, and take it somewhere other than my primary installation of Winamp.
  2. In a large minority of cases, the current auto-population approach is putting BAD data in the Album Artist field. Album Artist will frequently NOT be equal to Album Artist. I would rather have a NULL than bad data. A NULL field jumps out at me. It screams "hey, something didn't get populated right, come fix me". I can sort on a NULL field. A populated field on the other hand ... well, I can easily miss that. And now I have bad data in my ML.
  3. While technically, the auto-population of Album Artist does not update the tags, it's setting up a scenario where functionally speaking ... many users are going to HAVE TO update their tags (either to clear the Album Artist field, update it to something more accurate like "Various Artists", or to ensure their ID3v2 tags
    are up-to-date with the information that's already there in the MLDB.
Thanks for reading all of this. I know there is a bit of semantics here, but I think it worth reconsidering the design approach. I also know you've stated that Benski likes it that way ... and you're right that he does get a lion's share of input. But the one thing I think we can all agree on is we want to see Winamp continue to be the best player out there. So in the hope that the expression of varying opinions will result in a better Winamp for all ... I submit my thoughts for your consideration.
Old 8th April 2007, 19:21   #215
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

http://stashbox.org/16821/1073814126...references.png
Old 8th April 2007, 21:05   #216
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: Winamp 5.34 Beta Preview 4 - ML Double Click or Enter Options (PART I)

Quote:
No, you've lost me

The post you linked to in your previous reply relates to a comparison between the "Double Click & Enter" behaviour in Local Media and Rip & Burn.

If it's one of the posts further down in that thread, then my brain started to hurt after about the 2nd or 3rd post ;-)
This is PART I of the ML Double Click or Enter bugs I’ve been experiencing.
I will post PART II later … but I wanted to get something back to DJ Egg asap.

With the following “Double Click or Enter” options selected:

Now given that both “Double Click or Enter” options are checked in the above screen shot, I would assume that identical actions in the ML SmartViews and the ML Playlists would yield similar results. If only one or the other option was checked … obviously some results would/should vary.

Note that with both of the “Double Click or Enter” options UNchecked, that the
ML SmartViews and the ML Playlist perform exactly the same for me/as expected.

Beyond the options selected in the “Double Click or Enter” group box, there are two other sets of variables that can affect Winamp’s results as it relates to this issue:

A) The means by which the Play action was triggered. Whether by:
  1. Double-clicking
  2. Right-clicking and selecting “Play selection”
  3. Clicking the “Play” button located along the bottom of the ML
B) How many songs are selected when triggering the Play action. Whether:
  1. One song is selected
  2. Multiple songs are selected
Bug #1:

via a ML SmartView
  1. Select a SINGLE song in a ML SmartView
  2. Right-click and select “Play Selection”
This will …
  1. Clear the Playlist
  2. Enqueue the selected song
    PLUS ALL the songs being displayed along with it in the SmartView’s lower pane, putting them in the same order as they are displayed in the SmartView.
  3. Begin playing the selected song immediately
    from whatever its location in the Playlist
via a ML Playlist
  1. Select a SINGLE song in a ML Playlist
  2. Right-click and select “Play Selection”
This will …
  1. Clear the Playlist
  2. Enqueue ONLY the selected song
  3. Begin playing the selected song immediately
Expected Behavior - I could see an argument being made for either type of behavior. Personally, I don’t care … I would be happy with either … but my issue is that the results should be consistent.

Bug #2:

via a ML SmartView
  1. Select MULTIPLE songs in a ML SmartView
  2. Click the “Play” button at the bottom of the ML
This will …
  1. Clear the Playlist
  2. Enqueue ONLY the selected songs
  3. Begin playing the top song from the original selection immediately
via a ML Playlist
  1. Select MULTIPLE songs in a ML Playlist
  2. Click the “Play” button at the bottom of the ML
This will …
  1. Clear the Playlist
  2. Enqueue ALL the songs in the ML Playlist
  3. Begin playing the top song from the original selection immediately
    from whatever its location in the Playlist
Expected Behavior - The “Play” button in the ML Playlist should perform the same way as the “Play” button does currently in the ML SmartView … sending ONLY the selected songs to the Playlist.
Old 8th April 2007, 21:23   #217
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
http://stashbox.org/16821/1073814126...references.png
The best solution for all, thank you.
Old 8th April 2007, 21:45   #218
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
The best solution for all, thank you.
Yes, thank you DEV team!
Old 8th April 2007, 22:22   #219
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ jpt60

Re #1

Ok, yes, there is definitely some inconsistency there.
However, the option says "...on double click in media views / playlists".
It doesn't say "on right click"

So which one is correct and which one is wrong?
Which one should be fixed, which one should be left 'as is'?

With "play selected items" selected and those 2 options underneath checkmarked,
the correct expected behaviour is occurring when double-clicking items.

Should it also apply when using "right-click > play selection", or not?

Re: #2

Again, I agree, there's definitely some inconsistency there.

I would have thought expected behaviour was the other way round.
If I remember correctly, the 'Play' button always used to play the entire View or Playlist, regardless of what was selected.

So in my opinion, the "Play" button in the Playlists is probably acting correctly, and the one in the Local Media Views isn't.

But hey, we might be able to get some of the people to agree some of the time, but we'll never get all the people to agree all the time.
Old 8th April 2007, 23:04   #220
Dilburt

Quote:
Benski:
Ended up being a compiler bug (ergh!) It will be fixed in 5.34
Benski, you are a god among programmers !

Vista 64 is working perfectly for everything I've tried so far. Ripping rips, burning's hot and playback rocks. Even 24 bit and hardware acceleration are working great through the 64 bit Audigy 2 ZS drivers.

I've only been through the primary features so far but the only issue I've seen are a few small display anomalies. Of course, I'm running an nVidia graphics card and they still have major 64 bit driver problems so it could be them.

Thanks - D
Old 8th April 2007, 23:46   #221
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yay! Thanks for the confirmation that CD Burning is working on Vista :-)
Old 9th April 2007, 00:03   #222
Kiyouta

Getting a 1-2 second delay until the seek bar and Winamp controls are available to use after loading a FLAC song. This happens with all FLAC files I have. Didn't happen in Preview 3.
Old 9th April 2007, 03:30   #223
fragmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiyouta
Getting a 1-2 second delay until the seek bar and Winamp controls are available to use after loading a FLAC song. This happens with all FLAC files I have. Didn't happen in Preview 3.
I am getting the same problem. Seek bar does not function for the first few seconds when playing FLAC files. Also, Audioscrobbler stopped picking up FLAC files being played - it worked before!
Old 9th April 2007, 09:05   #224
ByTor201

Quote:
Originally posted by fragmer
I am getting the same problem. Seek bar does not function for the first few seconds when playing FLAC files. Also, Audioscrobbler stopped picking up FLAC files being played - it worked before!
I'm having the same problem. On top of that, I've noticed that while playing WMA files, the stop button doesn't work and just reseeks to the beginning.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:17   #225
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Strange. I can't reproduce either of those.

FLAC files play instantly for me, with no delay/freeze.
The seekbar starts moving instantly, and all of the Winamp ui is accessible.
And WMA files stop playing for me when clicking the Stop button.

At a guess, your problems are probably being caused by some 3rd-party plugin(s).
Please see the first post for info about how to make a proper/valid bug report.

I know for sure that audioscrobbler is bugged, and undoubtedly needs updating.
What other 3rd-party plugins are you using? Any?
Old 9th April 2007, 11:56   #226
composer

Quote:
I can't reproduce...
Do you have developer's computer?
No bug will ever show on those...
Old 9th April 2007, 12:15   #227
fragmer

I just made a clean reinstall of winamp (no extra plugins), and the 2-3 second lag at the beginning of every FLAC file is still there. It might have something to do with the way in_flac 2 calculates track length; the length in track title, and the "time remaining" field also only show up after the delay. The lag happens every single time, even if the exact same file is set to "repeat."

edit: I complained to audioscrobbler devs, and they advised to replace Nullsoft's in_flac with the FLAC plugin with library support. Surprisingly, audioscrobbler worked flawlessly after that. So I have been told that there's a problem with Nullsoft in_flac.

edit2: The lag also went away when I installed the alternative FLAC plugin, and it promptly returned when I restored the official in_flac dll.

Last edited by fragmer; 9th April 2007 at 12:46.
Old 9th April 2007, 13:23   #228
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I'm not sure about the lag issue (still can't repro it here) but it will hopefully be looked into. So, are you saying that it still happens after a clean install of 5.34 b1239, with no 3rd-party plugins (ie. no audioscrobbler)?

The only change to in_flac from preview 3 was:

* Fixed: [in_flac] Distortion with some files without rg info when using +dB preamp*

I think we've found the reason for why audioscrobbler isn't working with flac (should be an easy fix in in_flac - see DrO's post below).
Old 9th April 2007, 13:23   #229
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by fragmer
edit: I complained to audioscrobbler devs, and they advised to replace Nullsoft's in_flac with the FLAC plugin with library support. Surprisingly, audioscrobbler worked flawlessly after that. So I have been told that there's a problem with Nullsoft in_flac.
it's a bit of both, from what i remember of the AS plugin code, it used to send 'Artist' and similarly capitalised fields to check, it looks like the current implementation of in_flac v2 plugin is just looking for 'artist' only and so will fail when 'Artist' is passed (the ape plugin exhibits a similar issue of not checking for things case-insensitively though their dev's ignored afaik the information offered about it). should be a nice simple fix i'd have thought but will leave that for the dev team to confirm

-daz
Old 9th April 2007, 13:32   #230
ujay
Forum King

FWIW, no probs with FLAC here, even long tracks, just tried Beethoven's 9th with no discernible delay. Only time I've seen any appreciable pre-processing is with 32 bit float WAV.

UJ
Old 9th April 2007, 14:34   #231
aperture01

Send a message via ICQ to aperture01 Send a message via AIM to aperture01
woohoo cd burning in vista works great...!
Old 9th April 2007, 16:18   #232
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by composer
Do you have developer's computer?
No bug will ever show on those...
hahahahaha
so true.
Old 9th April 2007, 16:22   #233
Neorth

Quote:
I'm not sure about the lag issue (still can't repro it here) but it will hopefully be looked into. So, are you saying that it still happens after a clean install of 5.34 b1239, with no 3rd-party plugins (ie. no audioscrobbler)?

The only change to in_flac from preview 3 was:

* Fixed: [in_flac] Distortion with some files without rg info when using +dB preamp*

I think we've found the reason for why audioscrobbler isn't working with flac (should be an easy fix in in_flac - see DrO's post below).
Talk to benski about the flac thing DJ Egg. We had a look at that problem a few weeks ago and I think he's still working on it.
Old 9th April 2007, 16:51   #234
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
FWIW, no probs with FLAC here, even long tracks, just tried Beethoven's 9th with no discernible delay. Only time I've seen any appreciable pre-processing is with 32 bit float WAV.

UJ
Floating point WAV pre-processing delay happens because of a lack of standard on the peak-to-peak value range of floating point WAV files. libsndfile must pre-scan to avoid blowing out your speakers and ear-drums
Old 9th April 2007, 20:02   #235
ujay
Forum King

My speakers thank you Benski. I fear it's too late for my ears

UJ
Old 9th April 2007, 20:21   #236
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okay... in_flac lag & audioscrobbler issues are fixed. Thanks.
Old 10th April 2007, 00:17   #237
glop

confirmation : burning is ok with windows Vista (32bits - vista ultimate for me)
Old 10th April 2007, 14:25   #238
Gilgamesh83

aac in out_wave

Yo!

I have a little question about aac playback in winamp using out_wave.

When I transcode a file to aac and mp4 there is a strange occurence in playback in aac type files. When using wave_out and playing aac files i hear a pop click sounds throughout the song and when using out_ds this does not occur. But when playing mp4 files in wave_out it comes out perfectly as it should. Could this be because aac is handled by in_mp3 and mp4 has its own demuxer in_mp4? Shouldn't aac and mp4 simply be a case of similar encoding but different "shells" around the file?

No biggie! Just a observation.

Anywhay keep it up!!!

My config:
Latest beta.
Plenty of input dlls. Nonthing but the included output dlls.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:52   #239
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Re: aac in out_wave

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamesh83
When I transcode a file to aac and mp4 there is a strange occurence in playback in aac type files. When using wave_out and playing aac files i hear a pop click sounds throughout the song and when using out_ds this does not occur. But when playing mp4 files in wave_out it comes out perfectly as it should. Could this be because aac is handled by in_mp3 and mp4 has its own demuxer in_mp4? Shouldn't aac and mp4 simply be a case of similar encoding but different "shells" around the file?
Can you provide a sample file? stashbox.org is a good place to put it as long as the file ends up under 5 mb
Old 10th April 2007, 16:55   #240
Gilgamesh83

Re: Re: aac in out_wave

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
Can you provide a sample file? stashbox.org is a good place to put it as long as the file ends up under 5 mb
Sure thing! Altough this happens with all files encoded to aac instead of mp4 so you should be able to reproduce it... maybe. Could be a hardware thing but not likley since everything else works fine.

http://stashbox.org/16982/22-busta_rhymes-outro-osm.aac
(Very low pops and clicks)
http://stashbox.org/16983/22-busta_rhymes-outro-osm.m4a

Does the links even show for normal users? it just says "URL submitted by user."
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion