Old 28th January 2012, 23:44   #121
Kong

Hi, I really like this plugin, have been using it for a while now.

I have one issue I'm hoping I can get help with. I recently did some work on my collection of music and in the process renamed all my album covers to Albumart.jpg so they are compatible with my phone (do not show up in gallery).

This however is not compatible with the plugin it seems, it does not display the covers using this name. Is there anyway to change that or I can specify what filename to look for?

Thanks in advance.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 16:57   #122
jonrichco

Excellent work Wil, works fine. But could the Winamp developers PLEASE include a show album art option as a core component of Winamp classic skin. Thanks in anticipation - that would save us time in working out how to solve the problem.
jonrichco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 16:13   #123
DrO

jonrichco: this plug-in is about as official as is going to happen for classic skins, as Will _was_ a developer and i (the current maintainer of the plug-in) sort of have my hands in Winamp as well.

or do you mean something more specific? as either way, anything 'official' would be done as a plug-in anyway.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 13:53   #124
jonrichco

Thanks DrO - I guess my point was that it would really handy to build the plug-in into WA, so that we don't have to spend time trying to work out how to get it.
Old 14th February 2012, 14:08   #125
DrO

as the plug-in isn't feature complete, it wouldn't happen as it currently is (assuming it would even been contemplated). then again, the whole point is to expand Winamp with plug-ins without having to ship everything and anything under the sun - is too many complaints about bloat as is.

i do see where you're coming from, but such decisions are not mine to make this plug-in is already part of the essentials pack which has some official backing so is about as best as it'll get any time soon.

-daz
Old 14th February 2012, 19:23   #126
jonrichco

Ok - I can understand that. But worrying is that your post is the first I have heard of the essentials pack, despite being a Winamp user for >10 years. I also note that it is not mentioned in the Wikipedia entry on Winamp, so maybe more needs to be done (eg, in the install process) to publicise it.
Old 17th February 2012, 19:46   #127
TrickyMcGee

Sources Plz? ;)

Nice plugin!

Any chance of sharing the sources?
I'm really intrested in learning how did you embed the plugin window inside media library.
TrickyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 19:52   #128
DrO

it was via subclassing, a lot of hacking and some very ugly code.

i cannot remember if that code is in the source code currently available or not - if not then it's most likely going to be when v1 happens that i make sure the source is provided again (is not pretty at all at the moment) though as i'm only just in the process of getting a 0.9 ready for release, v1 is still some way off.

-daz
Old 18th February 2012, 03:19   #129
Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i'm only just in the process of getting a 0.9 ready for release
Nice, any chance of being able to add/change filenames used for album art images? (my above post)
Old 18th February 2012, 11:05   #130
DrO

Kong: that would require changes in Winamp itself as the plug-in only uses what Winamp gives back to it so would not be something able to be done in the plug-in.

-daz
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:26   #131
DrO

Album Art Viewer v0.9
  • Added option to right-align the album art in details mode as well as albumart positioning / sizing improvements in details mode
  • Added option to only show albumart found in details mode (will not show the not found image if it would otherwise be shown)
  • Added Windows App / Shift + F10 support for showing the options menu in the window
  • Changed the no album art image to be a 241 x 241 instead of 75 x 75
  • Changed details mode to revert to albumart only mode if there are no details to show e.g. for separators
  • Changed 'Open folder' to use the api_explorerfindfile so it will select the file (matches rest of Winamp now)
  • Fixed 'Open folder' to work with rsn playlist entries (now they can cope with album art)
  • Fixed slow resource leak when details mode was enabled
  • Fixed non-details mode being incorrectly refreshed on mouseover / clicking in window
  • Fixed changing of the Winamp's playlist editor / library window font not being followed (might give some layout quirks)
  • Fixed changing the option for following the current track vs currently playing not updating correctly
Enjoy the new mode and don't shoot me if it blows up (will update my site links, etc in the morning...).

Notes

For those not using the details mode, this probably doesn't seem like a noticeable update though it has a few things which cut some cpu time or make it prettier if no albumart can be found.

For those using the details mode, the right-align and general improvements (especially the resource leak) should be welcome (or so i hope). This build is a stepping stone before the means to customise the details shown is introduced which based on the previous delay in an update things put it as happening around the later-half of 2013

Source Files

Once i've completed the next update(s) to implement handling of the details view then the updated source will be released (things are in a bit of a mess at the moment whilst i'm testing and releasing things still).

-daz
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:37   #132
Kong

Thanks for the updated version.

Quote:
Kong: that would require changes in Winamp itself as the plug-in only uses what Winamp gives back to it so would not be something able to be done in the plug-in.

-daz
Can you provide more information on this? If the plugin is just using images of specific names from the album containing folder, why would this be controlled by winamp when winamp doesn't display album art at all?

(Yes I'm aware you can embed art within the mp3, i'm not referring to embeded images)
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:49   #133
DrO

the plug-in uses the albumart api which is exposed to plug-ins which does all of the handling to either get the artwork from the file's tags (if present) or via a number of filename lookups in the same folder as the file being queried.

so by using that api, the plug-in is dependent upon what Winamp (and it's associated input plug-ins and / or file lookup rules) is able to find and if it's not in the file's tag and doesn't match with the filename lookups, then this plug-in and other parts of Winamp's display of artwork will show nothing or a not found image.

hence, to support other mappings, it would require changes in Winamp itself to able to do that i.e. code added so that it would look for 'albumart.jpg' (or ideally it should be albumart.<supported image formats> ). from a quick look, it looks like a simple change to add it but i'd need to ask about it before doing that (take that as i will ask but there is _no_ guarantee albumart.jpg will be added to the supported list to lookup).

-daz
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:24   #134
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have downloaded and installed this new plugin-version, then I have tested it with the enlarged Playlist Editor in Bento with dragging the window for the album art, it looks very good for the "bigger size" (bigger than only the size in the "Multi Content View").
Thank You for the good work!
★★★★★
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:46   #135
Kong

Quote:
the plug-in uses the albumart api which is exposed to plug-ins which does all of the handling to either get the artwork from the file's tags (if present) or via a number of filename lookups in the same folder as the file being queried.

so by using that api, the plug-in is dependent upon what Winamp (and it's associated input plug-ins and / or file lookup rules) is able to find and if it's not in the file's tag and doesn't match with the filename lookups, then this plug-in and other parts of Winamp's display of artwork will show nothing or a not found image.

hence, to support other mappings, it would require changes in Winamp itself to able to do that i.e. code added so that it would look for 'albumart.jpg' (or ideally it should be albumart.<supported image formats> ). from a quick look, it looks like a simple change to add it but i'd need to ask about it before doing that (take that as i will ask but there is _no_ guarantee albumart.jpg will be added to the supported list to lookup).

-daz
Thanks for the info.

I don't know if it's related to the new plugin build or not, but I had winamp running for a while earlier (before and after updating the plugin) and a while after updating it I noticed some performance decreases. Winamp was using about 30mb of ram, a lot more than normal. Performance increased when i shutdown winamp.
Old 5th April 2012, 14:41   #136
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Hi, I really like this plugin, have been using it for a while now.

I have one issue I'm hoping I can get help with. I recently did some work on my collection of music and in the process renamed all my album covers to Albumart.jpg so they are compatible with my phone (do not show up in gallery).

This however is not compatible with the plugin it seems, it does not display the covers using this name. Is there anyway to change that or I can specify what filename to look for?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Kong,

DJ Egg posted the following info awhile back.

"Winamp does NOT load embedded art from a different file.
It will only load embedded art from the actual file at hand.

The lookup order criteria/precedence is as follows:

1. Embedded art in the tags of the files

2. %album%.jpg/png/gif/bmp in the containing folder (where %album% is the exact name of the Album)

3. An .nfo file with the exact same filename as an image file in the containing folder

4. cover.jpg/png/gif/bmp

5. folder.jpg/png/gif/bmp

6. front.jpg/png/gif/bmp

And that is all.

Therefore, for Winamp to show any art, either in the Artwork tab of File Info (Alt+3), or in the Bento MCV area, or in a ML art view, then one of those conditions MUST exist."

--------------------

Have you tried item 3 in the list. A .nfo file is just a text file. You can create one with notepad. Make a text file, it should not matter what you write in it (1 word is enough if I'm reading DJ Egg's list correctly). Save it and rename it to "albumart.nfo". Then copy it to a folder with an albumart.jpg file and see if Winamp and the plug-in displays the art. Be sure your system shows you the filename extensions. You don't want the file to be named "albumart.nfo.txt".

As for your most recent post about a system performance decrease after updating the plug-in and Winamp using 30 MB. 30 MB is not a lot for Winamp to use. I've seen it's usage grow to over 500 MB on my system (depending on what I'm doing with Winamp) with no problems with it or the rest of my system.

If releasing the 30 MB back to your system increases performance, I suggest the problem is somewhere else. Maybe you don't have enough RAM installed. Is the issue repeatable?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 14:54   #137
DrO

albumart.jpg/png/gif/bmp will be supported in the next release (had forgotten to reply back that it has been added to the supported handling). no eta on when the next release will happen.

-daz
Old 5th April 2012, 22:13   #138
Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Have you tried item 3 in the list.
Thanks for the info on using a .nfo file to specify the image name, I didn't know winamp had this ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
As for your most recent post about a system performance decrease after updating the plug-in and Winamp using 30 MB. 30 MB is not a lot for Winamp to use. I've seen it's usage grow to over 500 MB on my system (depending on what I'm doing with Winamp) with no problems with it or the rest of my system.

If releasing the 30 MB back to your system increases performance, I suggest the problem is somewhere else. Maybe you don't have enough RAM installed. Is the issue repeatable?
I have more than enough ram installed, and the performance decrease wasn't much but it was noticable. It also could very well have not been related to memory I only mentioned it because the only thing changed was the plugin and Winamp usually is using ~5-10mb of ram.

I have no noticed any issues since.

Quote:
albumart.jpg/png/gif/bmp will be supported in the next release (had forgotten to reply back that it has been added to the supported handling). no eta on when the next release will happen.

-daz
Thanks for the update. I assume you mean the next release of Winamp, correct?
Old 5th April 2012, 23:08   #139
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
I assume you mean the next release of Winamp, correct?
correct.

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 23:14   #140
colbylol

I love this plugin as it compliments my skins very well. The one downside though is that apparently there is a minimum width that you can resize it to, and it isn't small enough to fit well with the skin I'm currently working on. Any chance you could make the minimum width smaller or remove it all together? A minimum width of 240 is what I'm looking for.
colbylol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 23:41   #141
DrO

the minimum size is determined by Winamp (since the plug-in is using the window frames it provides) so i'm going to say it's not possible (even though it could be hacked to do so but that then requires changing a lot for what the plug-in has been specifically coded to assume - and i don't like hacking things anymore so it would still be a no).

since the minimum width for a classic skin is 275px, are you trying to use this in modern skin mode as that's the only way i'm aware of being able to get < 275px (though i don't believe the child windows will generally go below that limit even under a modern skin).

-daz
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:23   #142
colbylol

You're right. I've been working with modern skins and didn't realize how easy it was to add Album Art from within the skin itself.
colbylol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 08:34   #143
HeatDealer

One issue not mentioned previously: not all embedded art in the tags of the files is supported. At least 5 images are supported by id3 tags (front cover, back cover, disk, icon, artist). Album Art Viewer Plugin v0.91 shows only front cover, even if other embedded art exists. That's why two more options are needed: 1. cycle all embedded art 2. show all embedded art at once in Album Art Viewer window.
HeatDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 21:23   #144
DrO

it's like that since that's all that the Winamp albumart api generally provides by default. maybe it could be expanded to support more types but Winamp has only ever gone for 'cover' since it implemented support and so that's why this plug-in is only mirroring that behaviour (as the artwork comes through the same API as the alt+3 dialog, etc).

-daz
Old 1st January 2013, 22:56   #145
maggerbee

I wouldn't let me install even though I kept closing out of Winamp, it wouldn't install. I eventually found out that since I have MediaMonkey set to use Winamp as my default player that it in some form or another was still running, couldn't see it in task manager though. So once I closed out of both apps then it installed fine.

Just thought I'd post this here for anyone that may run into this issue.

By the way, great plugin! It was exactly what I wanted!
maggerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 09:26   #146
chinagreenelvis

Is there a mirror for this plugin? The website seems to be down forever.
chinagreenelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:01   #147
DrO

it's included in the Essentials Pack.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:37   #148
chinagreenelvis

Downloaded the pack, but not getting album art for rsn files. What can I do?

Quote:
Fixed 'Open folder' to work with rsn playlist entries (now they can cope with album art)
Old 19th March 2013, 13:45   #149
DrO

that changelog line has nothing to do with artwork in rsn files - it related to a different feature. if you're expecting it to magically get artwork for you then this plug-in is not right for you.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:52   #150
chinagreenelvis

Using a Folder.jpg works for every other file type that ChipAmp accounts for, but not with RSN archives. I tried using WinRAR to drop a Folder.jpg inside the RSN file, but that doesn't do the trick either. And naturally, I can't use MP3Tag to embed the artwork in the file data. Perhaps there is a program that will?

If you know of some way of getting Winamp to display the album artwork for RSNs without unpacking them into individual .spc files, I'd definitely appreciate the information.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:02   #151
DrO

it needs the input plug-in responsible for handling RSN's to do expose the folder.jpg to Winamp and the official SNESamp plug-in doesn't do that. the removed SNESamp Wrapper plug-in did enable folder.jpg support but that plug-in is now gone so unless you get the original SNESamp author to update their plug-in or i have a change of heart on Winamp plug-ins, you're not going to achieve what you want.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:18   #152
chinagreenelvis

Sigh. Extraction it is, I guess.
Old 21st September 2013, 10:54   #153
DrO

Album Art Viewer v1.0
  • Added support for SHOUTcast v2 in-stream artwork from compatible SHOUTcast v2 DNAS
  • Added support to query the file directly for rating information if no rating provided by the library
  • Added skinned menu support on compatible Winamp clients
  • Changed to check for additional Winamp notifications to ensure we update on more potential artwork changes
  • Changed the plug-in to only work on Winamp 5.64 and higher due to plug-in API changes
  • Fixed compile issue causing a R6031 error on closing with some setups and Windows OS versions
  • Fixed some minor coding issues from a code review

Changes between v0.9 and v1.0 can be found at http://nunzioweb.com/daz/gen_classicart/
Old 21st September 2013, 14:25   #154
schulze

just a quick "thank you" for still updating this plugin DrO!
it's everything i need as a classic skin user.

best regards!
schulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 20:54   #155
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

DrO has already released v1.02 on his website.

Album Art Viewer v1.02

Changelog can be found on his website:

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/gen_classicart/
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 01:20   #156
DrO

small v1.03 update is now available to make things fit in with the Winamp 5.66x releases.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:51   #157
c1ph3r

I'm not able to save the Album Art position when it is embedded in the Media Library window.
I mean, after positioning and resizing the Album Art frame, for example, in the left lower corner of the Media Library window if I close the ML and close winamp the next time I run winamp the position of the Album Art frame is lost. This happens only if I close the ML before closing winamp. I use Winamp with a classic skin.
Anyway, thanks a lot for this fantastic plugin
c1ph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 14:56   #158
DrO

the positioning handling isn't ideal for that mode and i know it needs to be re-implemented as it also doesn't nicely handle switching between skins causing it's position to get messed up (much like you're seeing). only suggestion currently is not to close the ML before closing Winamp.
Old 29th November 2014, 08:46   #159
Patu

Thank you.
Patu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 15:21   #160
Klow

Greetings, I have a problem. When I restart Winamp, the cover window has disappeared, while "Album Art" is selected in the "View" menu. I always have to deselect then select it again each time I restart Winamp, which is very impractical. It's similar to the problem met by c1ph3r, in which the program doesn't remember what was done to the window the last time it was used.

Can anyone help?... I'm using the Big Bento skin in Winamp 5.66.

Last edited by Klow; 4th January 2015 at 16:26.
Klow is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion