Old 23rd September 2001, 19:02   #1
~0xYm0r0n~

Unhappy Skinning/Transparency woes (pics)

Ugh... my skin doesn't work.
I tried to export the file with transparency in Photoshop 6.0
as can be seen here:
Saving to PNG-24 so it exports fine, and I get a nice looking PNG with apparent transparency. Well on my way to the finished product... Or so I thought. The picture of afterwards? Ugly. See for yourself. That red circle there? that's the box that I just made.
Ugly Box
Any ideas?

P.S. As always, click on the link, then delete the "http://" in front of the "www" then hit "enter"

Thank you. Any info is appreciated.
~0xYm0r0n~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2001, 19:11   #2
kinwashi

Send a message via ICQ to kinwashi
I'm not sure what the problem is really, but here is a easy way to save png's with transparency in photoshop 6:

1. merge all the layers BESIDES the background layer into one layer. (select the top layer and hit ctrl+e until they're one layer) you know have your box on one layer with the transparency, and the background layer.

2. delete the background layer.

3. "save as" then box.png or whatever you wanna call it.

kinwashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2001, 20:55   #3
~0xYm0r0n~

Smile *sigh*

Many Thanks. I thought I tried that, but I guess not. I'll post screens of this skin later. Thanks again.
~0xYm0r0n~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2001, 19:46   #4
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
even better, just hide the background layer, don't merge the layers(cuz then you can't manipulate them) and do save for web(ctrl-alt-shift-s) it'll do your png-24 along with any other web format.

/*
S0Be
*/

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2001, 19:59   #5
kinwashi

Quote:
Originally posted by s0bellzard
(cuz then you can't manipulate them)*/
If you open up a PSD, and merge the layers and save it as something else, PNG for example, you still have the PSD to work from don't ya?

Old 24th September 2001, 21:52   #6
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
Quote:
Originally posted by kinwashi

If you open up a PSD, and merge the layers and save it as something else, PNG for example, you still have the PSD to work from don't ya?
ok, ok, you got me there, but it's still less work.

/*
S0Be
*/

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2001, 23:21   #7
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

You may need to enter the realm of alpha channels... does your suggestion really work in PS6 kinwashi? I haven't tried it - RT

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
RhinoTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2001, 23:32   #8
kinwashi

Quote:
Originally posted by RhinoTrip
You may need to enter the realm of alpha channels... does your suggestion really work in PS6 kinwashi? I haven't tried it - RT
it works, I use it all the time

and on a sidenote, you can also delete the background layer first, then select "merge visible" in the layer menu, this is probably easier if you have a lot of layers in your PSD.

Old 25th September 2001, 15:06   #9
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

I've been using the help menu in PS6, there's an export transparent image menu item and it starts a wizard. I know this is a somewhat nOoB way of doing it, but it works for me. Plus, it's an easy way to tell other beginning skinners where they can begin getting their skin out of PS and into WA3.

SoBe's method sounds pretty easy, though. I'll have to give that a try.

-=G=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2001, 04:24   #10
Lucas
Guru Meditation (Alumni)

Easier way... hide the background layer (and every layer you don't like or don't want to appear on the picture) and simply do a "Save As" (select "png"). It works for me with ps6.

-L
Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2001, 23:19   #11
mavsman

I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I do ctrl-alt-shift-s, which is Save For Web. I do this because I can not only save .png, but can optomize the size.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2001, 23:25   #12
mavsman

Shit, I feel like a moron. Didn't mean to post twice. Sorry, but I can't seem to delete this. Ah well.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins