Old 13th July 2005, 22:01   #1
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Twin Extra Long Sheets

Does anyone know of an online retailer where I can get Twin XL sheets? The beds in my college dorm are this size and I'd like to have some sheets and a mattress pad before I go up there. I went out looking for them today and wasn't happy with the selection ---> 180 thread count.

I also picked up a garbage pail, sma/big plate, bowl, mug, desk lamp and clip on bed lamp. I think I still need some flatware. How often do you college people eat meals in your room? I'll have a fridge and access to a stove. I think maily though I want to be able to do something like eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast in my room.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2005, 22:06   #2
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I fight the rats for my meat.

If you are just after sheets, cant you get a bigger size, and just tuck them under?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2005, 22:44   #3
Wolfgang
Forum King

I rarely eat in my room because I hate the smell that remains afterwards. I guarantee cereal will form a huge part of your diet.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2005, 23:39   #4
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

I pretty much ate in my room all the time. Cafeteria food is terrible and fattening.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2005, 23:53   #5
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

There is a chain that has some stores in Phoenix called Anna's Linnens. They had cheep XL Twin sheets when I was at college. Check the Phonebook or the Google and see if there are any around you.

Also, Twin XL is popular with colleges, so you actually see the big box chains carry them around the "back to school" sales time of year.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 01:12   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

http://www.springs.com/

Maybe look under Springmaid or Wamsutta.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 03:36   #7
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
@ wolfgang and shakey: do you think that one each of bowl, big/small plate is enough?

@ drew and sarge. thanks for the tips. / goe sto look around

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 10:41   #8
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Here's what I did (and I was the oddball) I got one medium sized casserole bowl and ate everything out of it. Everthing.

I had to walk down to the bathroom and rinse it out everytime, but it kept me from over-eating.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme

Last edited by shakey_snake; 14th July 2005 at 11:52.
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 12:51   #9
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Where do basketball players buy their beds and sheets?
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 12:52   #10
Wolfgang
Forum King

I had nothing when I arrived. I had to stay in a hotel at the beginning becuase the company making the building we were going to live in hadn't finished it on time. I shamelessly took a bowl and a plate (and a bath-mat, towel, sheets, soap, wahing-up liquid and shampoo from the store room) plus a sharp knife.

I guess it depends how clean you are. My flatmate had about 12 plates. He'd use them all and stack them up in a disgusting pile and have a big wash-up when he got to the last one.

I only had the plate and the bowl, and it was fine. Also only one fork, knife and spoon. When guests came, I just borrowed my flatmates' stuff.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2005, 01:40   #11
Phyltre
Forum King

Ah yes, dorm life. I'm an RA this semester, interestingly enough (Resident Advisor, I'm sure terminology must change regionally.)

Here's my experience: It all depends on your eating habits and on the college. Personally, I never eat actual meals in my room (plenty of snacks, though) because the eating facilities are nice and have food much better than I could conveniently have in my room. Our student center got renovated two years back, so basically most any kind of food you want you can find there. It has a Taco Bell, a Burger King, a Chick-fil-a, a mini Pizza Hut, a fast-chinese-food place, a sub sandwich place, and an Einstein Bagel Company. Those are just the externally owned franchises. The national food-service owned places cover all the other bases, like wonderful salads, home-cooked type healthier meals, soups, and specialty dishes.

That being said, if your food center is farther away or less variegated, you'll probably be eating in your dorm more. And I can say that you'll probably want to use chopsticks (easiest to clean) or disposable plasticware. I always used simple, very cheap, paper plates. Make sure to keep paper towels in stock, make sure your trash can has a lid. If you love cereal, I suggest three bowls: enough so that if you put something in the fridge, you'll still have a cereal vessel. And so that if you become temporarily busy(or lazy), you can go a day or two without intensive cleaning. THere WILL be times when you won't have time to clean bowls.

As for the sheets: I found a few sets on sale at our local Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I have no idea if those exist where you are. But I know the feeling, apparently colleges love finding niche mattress sizes nobody bothers stocking.

Depending on how much money you have, I would suggest saving up for a Corda-Roy. If you don't know what they are, look at corda-roys.com. They're a great multipurpose addition to any dorm room, or anybody's room for that matter.

I'm going to post some more, when I have time. I have to move in August 1st for training and to help people move in.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions