Old 16th September 2006, 05:49   #1
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Floppy drive help (yeah, wtf)

So today in the mail I get my brand new shiny floppy drive. I throw it into the computer, connect the data cords, hook up the power, and turn on my computer.

The green light on the drive lit up when I turned on my computer, and stayed lit until the computer was turned off - odd, I had thought, because It meant it was constantly active even when there's no floppy disk in the drive.

I threw a disk in, attempted to access it, and got a "format this disk?" messege box.

I clicked "format disk" and the explorer window froze for a few seconds and said "please insert a disk into drive A:". I clicked ok and got another messege box saying "Disk can not be formatted." It seems like trying to access the drive when it doesn't have a disk in it does the exact same thing.

Hmm.

I have since tried formatting the drive in command prompt, but every time I run a "format A:" command I get the error "The device is busy".

...ok.

I have also tried booting to safe mode to see if any software was somehow interfering with it, but I ran into the exact same problem, only when I try to acess the drive in safe mode I'm just directly told that there is no disk in the drive at all.

So - I'm a bit stumped here. I've made sure several times that the cord is connected properly, and I have also checked the device status in device manager. According to the device manager, my floppy drive is "Working properly". I can't test the drive in another computer.

Can somebody help me resolve this problem? Evidently I can't handle the floppy drive from hell on my own.
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 06:35   #2
Phyltre
Forum King

This happened to me once also--the floppy drive would consider itself constantly busy, and generally refuse to actually do any disk reading or writing. Luckily we didn't actually have much use for a floppy drive, and the problem was solved when we got a new computer.

Either it's faulty or the drivers are faulty. Have you looked at researching specific make/model and seeing if other people have had issues with it, and checking if new drivers are available?
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 06:47   #3
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

I've checked the site of the drive manufacturers and they had no floppy drivers to download, nor did my motherboard model :[. You're thinking perhaps the drive it'self is faulty?

Figures.
Old 16th September 2006, 10:12   #4
zootm
Forum King

Floppy drives don't need drivers.

I had a problem like that once when the wire was inserted back to front. There's a good chance it's just a faulty drive though - because they don't see much use they're just built cheaply these days.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 10:26   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I can almost guarentee it's because of the cable. The light being on all the time is a dead givaway.

Try swapping ends, and if that fails, try turning one end around. If the cable's keyed and will only plug in one way, try a different cable that isnt keyed, or cut/sand down the key.

[edit]

More info: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/pc_hardw...ns_on_why.html
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 10:34   #6
dlichterman
Forum King

Yeah the cable is probably backwards......did this myself.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 10:37   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

who needs floopy drives, i don't bother anymore.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 10:42   #8
dlichterman
Forum King

Two words:

Sata Drivers

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 10:45   #9
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
who needs floopy drives
All the people using SATA/ATA Raid/SCSI controllers that arent supported by the version of windows they use and need a driver loaded during startup.

They're useful (although these days usually not required) for BIOS flashing too.

That's about it though...
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 11:22   #10
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

I bet it's a cable being the wrong way, what cable/controller do you use for your floppy-drive? Having the cable upside-down will make it "continusly busy" like those other people here say.

09 F9 11 01 9D 74 E8 5B D8 41 56 C3 63 56 81 C0
PulseDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 12:33   #11
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
All the people using SATA/ATA Raid/SCSI controllers that arent supported by the version of windows they use and need a driver loaded during startup.
Vista (FINALLY) supports using USB storage devices for that. My system is a Shuttle and to install XP I have to have a floppy drive dangling out the side of the open case. Messy.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 16:56   #12
ujay
Forum King

And don't keep it plugged in like that, if the cable's back to front the power line is most likely grounded out and the regulators will be under strain. Check for increased case temps.

I still need a floppy for the recovery software on the laptop, something to do with booting fron a FAT device.
The one I have is a USB, odd thing is, the BIOS won't recognise it from a cold start but will if I plug it in when windows is up and then do a 'Restart' (not a turn off/turn on start).
Makes me wonder if this is going to be any use in a real situation since it seems to need windows operational to be recognised.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 17:41   #13
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
I can almost guarentee it's because of the cable. The light being on all the time is a dead givaway.

Try swapping ends, and if that fails, try turning one end around. If the cable's keyed and will only plug in one way, try a different cable that isnt keyed, or cut/sand down the key.

[edit]

More info: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/pc_hardw...ns_on_why.html
I've actually tried that several times :[. When I try flipping the cable over the light stops being lit entirely and won't come on again, and I have actually flipped the entire cable around twice (switched the ends that were attached to the drive and to the mobo). The cable connection is keyed, however the recieving end of the floppy drive isn't, so I don't have an issue flipping the cable around.

Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm using a SCSI hardrive, however the floppy drive itself is not SCSI.

Last edited by squakMix; 16th September 2006 at 18:15.
Old 19th September 2006, 23:47   #14
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Problem fixed; apparently the cord was bad.

Figures

Thanks for the help guys
Old 20th September 2006, 00:36   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dlichterman
Yeah the cable is probably backwards......did this myself.
Yep, that's exactly what a floppy does when you put the cable in backwards. A floppy?. What's a floppy?. I don't think I've used one in 5 years. None of my machines has had one for at least 5 years.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions