Old 14th November 2012, 05:12   #1
Jerry and Lois

Winamp newbie: How to use the EQ

Hi all -

Just installed the current version onto Win7/64.

I'm sure I'm just missing something, but I can't find help/info on how to use the EQ. As installed, the EQ window pane is incredibly small, and clicking presets doesn't do anything. Is there a way to enlarge this (1900x1600 resolution, so nothing that's that unusual here)?

I'm hoping to (1) use the EQ as I have some substantial hearing loss in certain frequencies, (2) would like to use EQ presets and possible DSP settings, but haven't a clue how.

I know there are zillions of skins, lots of EQ windows, and a number of DSP options, but don't have the time to evaluate each and every one. Is there a bundle of these I can d/l and install?

All this is simply to enjoy my music on a 2.1 set of speakers, and get away from the built in RealTek audio control that came with this computer (and away from WMP potentially).

Thanks!
Jerry
Jerry and Lois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 05:48   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

You did not share what skin you are using, so I've no idea how to enlarge your EQ window or if it is even possible with that skin. It is with most.

The link below is to some general Winamp EQ info.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=196531

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 05:54   #3
Jerry and Lois

Hi Aminifu - thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry - forgot to mention that I'm currently using "Big Bento" for the skin...
Jerry and Lois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 06:59   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Yes, that is tiny and no I don't think it can be enlarged without double sizing the whole skin. I don't use Big Bento regularly (for me, way too much stuff to be displaying all the time), so there maybe another way I don't know about.

Anyway, the preset window opens on my system. Are you sure you did a complete install? You need to provide a configuration report (One for Nunz) for official help. Sometimes people leave out stuff that is needed for certain things that do not seem that it should be needed for.

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:51   #5
mjbrown

Quote:
I'm hoping to (1) use the EQ as I have some substantial hearing loss in certain frequencies
With digital EQ, you often don't have room to boost levels without clipping, which may result in audible distortion for you if you're planning to nudge some of those sliders way up. Winamp's equalizer does have a built-in limiter (toggled under General Preferences > Playback > Equalizer), which helps mitigate clipping if you do over-boost, but it cuts the dynamic range and might alter the sound in ways you may not like. If this is of concern, I suggest you use the EQ in one of these ways:
  • Don't put any sliders above the "0" mark, especially if they're in the lower frequency bands (bass range). In other words, instead of boosting the volume of frequency bands that you have trouble hearing, reduce the volume of frequency bands that you're still sensitive to. Then just crank up the volume at the other end of your playback chain (using the volume knob on your stereo system or whatever).
  • Use the equalizer's pre-amp function, if available, to reduce the volume of the equalizer's input before boosting any frequencies. This gives you some breathing room to move some of those sliders above the "0" mark (the midpoint) without side effects.
The net effect will be the same either way, and the sliders will still make the same "shape", but you won't risk clipping or invoking the limiter.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:35   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
maybe i'm missing something... but i don't use the limiter on the EQ, its not good for the sound imo.

i use RG tags and the apply gain / prevent clipping option for playback. i also use the RG pre amp but if i also adjusted the EQ up, and it would cause clipping to do so, the RG tag should save me.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
dsp settings, using equalization window