Old 17th November 2002, 12:46   #1
leovannys

Can't play WMA file named in Chinese

I think it's a commonly known bug now. I wonder if you are fixing it.

Pls do.
Old 17th November 2002, 15:12   #2
sanosuke
Major Dude

well first u have to install internelisation and video b4 it can work...btw internerlisation is still expermential so it could course other problems.
Old 18th November 2002, 00:06   #3
leovannys

I surely did that.
Old 18th November 2002, 21:00   #4
phei

in fact winamp3 cannot play audio files containing any special characters such as umlauts (äöü) or acctented vocals (ie "è") which is ... weird. Chinese (or: Asian Characters in general) are double byte chars that mostly consist of western and eastern european character-pairs. generally talking I would say it is rather stupid to create a program with such a reputation and then make t only support english and latin. shouldn't it be able to utilize window's own "load file" routines (I'm not a programmer!) so that any character that is allowed in a file name would be recognized and the file played (what has the file name got to do with its content?)?
Old 19th November 2002, 14:27   #5
leovannys

Exactly. I am surprised that Winamp 2.x has no problem with that at all. I have no idea what they have done. How can this program be released before fixing it? And how can they claim this is a FULL version rather than a BETA or something....
Old 19th November 2002, 15:09   #6
THEMike
Bastificator [Alumni]

Quote:
Originally posted by phei
generally talking I would say it is rather stupid to create a program with such a reputation and then make t only support english and latin.
No not really.

Why waste your effort on people who can't be bothered to learn english, and use english file names? They're less than scum.

Why should anyone waste their time dealing with special cases?

The company is a division of America On Line. It's not supposed to be used by you filthy foreign scum.

"Beer?"
Old 19th November 2002, 15:11   #7
THEMike
Bastificator [Alumni]

Quote:
Originally posted by leovannys
And how can they claim this is a FULL version rather than a BETA or something....
Let me put this simply.

A product is a full version when all features that were planed for a full version are implemented, and reasonaly stable.

Just because they decided full I18N capabilities weren't important enough for the first full release doesn't make it beta. Can you please find me a list of products that at 1.0 were I18N ready?

(And before you start. Winamp 3 is a 'from code scratch' so the first release build is essential it's version 1.0 of a new product.)

"Beer?"
Old 19th November 2002, 15:13   #8
Philosopher
llama psychiatrist
Beta Team

f**king brit
[edit]
and to all you other nutters out there complaining, nothing (with the exception of sex) is as easy as it seems.
[/edit]
Old 19th November 2002, 17:18   #9
leovannys

Well, if the song is named in Chinese and the singer is also named in Chinese, then naming the file in Chinese makes perfect sense. I think what people won't understand is you name a singer and his/her songs in another language! Don't think English is such a good language that worth everyone in the world learning it. You self-centered poor idiot! Chinese is a language that you will never understand and appreciate its 5000 years of history!
Old 19th November 2002, 17:29   #10
leovannys

Quote:
Originally posted by THEMike

No not really.

Why waste your effort on people who can't be bothered to learn english, and use english file names? They're less than scum.

The company is a division of America On Line. It's not supposed to be used by you filthy foreign scum.
What do you think you are? You stiud nauseating pus that infects the mucus that cruds up the fungus that feeds on the scum! Get F*cked!

Old 19th November 2002, 17:49   #11
sanosuke
Major Dude

woah...cool it with the flaming ok...

well aparently i have never tried renaming the files into chinese, coz i dun know how it works on the com, get what i mean.

but ur quite wrong to say that this is a beta, it is full but it is still undergoing improvement.

so its best u sit tight and wait.

oh and not all the ppl here are from america, just look at my country.
Old 19th November 2002, 18:14   #12
phei

as you *probably* can see I AM able to understand english in both written and spoken form (not perfectly, I know, but it's enough). among some other languages, which seem to be underneath your level of pride or whatever.

well. didn't want to start such a flaming topic. just a little side-note: There are WAY more people who do not speak speak english as first language and enough english speaking people who also enjoy the cultural achievements of other cultures and in other languages. The loss a group of users that large could, I suppose, have a major impact on the reputation of nullsoft's products. (As for myself, I am certainly not going to rename more than 30% of my several thousands of audio files, and I suppose I am not the only one.) I just wanted to mention that a working internationalisation, as in almost any other program, should be worth a greater attention.

besides, TheMike, your posting states quite clearly, that intolerance and the hatred against foreigners is not only a *german* phenomena...
Old 19th November 2002, 18:50   #13
peter
ist death

flameretardant post

indeed, it is very easy to write a program which opens files with names containing international characters on winnt4/2k/xp OS. but it's far more complicated to make such program work at all on win95/98/me. and believe me, axing win9x support would make way more people angry.
winamp3 setup includes "internationalization support" component, did you bother checking it while installing ?
Old 19th November 2002, 21:37   #14
leovannys

Re: flameretardant post

Quote:
Originally posted by peter

winamp3 setup includes "internationalization support" component, did you bother checking it while installing ?
Did you bother checking my previous post before asking that?

I appreciate the difficulties would be encountered in developping such a well well-known software and I am always a supporter of Nullsoft, though *someone* does not care, I am not hesitating to say that. I am not asking for something but a YES/NO answer about if people are aware of it and working on it! See my first post before you say anything, OK?

It won't cost you anything to say an English sentence "Yes we know that, and we are working on it. We are sorry for the inconvenience you had in using Winamp3". That may look rubbish and may not mean anything, but it make people feel better. What that Mike said is so inmature and infantile.
Old 19th November 2002, 22:55   #15
peter
ist death

well, looks i was a victim of ctrl+f, searching for "international" didn't return point to any of your posts :P
since this looks like a valid bug, i'm moving this to bug reports forum. have a nice day.
Old 6th January 2003, 06:11   #16
Accela

Sigh, I am having problems too, with both chinese and japanese characters. And TheMike, screw off, you're such a crybaby. Can't believe you're a mod.
Old 13th September 2003, 18:29   #17
kokojie

Re: flameretardant post

International support is useless, for displaying Chinese anyway.
It simply does not work.

Quote:
Originally posted by peter
indeed, it is very easy to write a program which opens files with names containing international characters on winnt4/2k/xp OS. but it's far more complicated to make such program work at all on win95/98/me. and believe me, axing win9x support would make way more people angry.
Old 13th September 2003, 18:47   #18
kokojie

1. Who says Americans absolutely have to use "English"?
See, you Americans don't even have your own language,
you have to borrow a messed up language from Europe.
Did you notice that you are the ONLY major world power
that does not have their own language??!!

2. Yes, America is strong economical and military wise.for now
So what?! Does that make you better people or better
human beings than the rest of the world?
Mongolians conquered half of the world, and see where
they are today? Americans does not learn anything
from history and is doomed to repeat the same mistake
the Romans made, the Mongolians made and we Chinese made also.

3. I am not anti-American. In fact, I am very much pro-American.
I think Americans in general are nice people. It is just sad
to see Americans walking down the same path that has been walked
TOO MANY times before. We all know where that path leads to,
don't we? Remember, Absolute power leads to Absolute corruption.
There are no democracy internationally to check and balance
America's power.

Did you really think 911 is what it seems? Wake up
http://www.intellex.com/~rigs/page1/wtc/phantom.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by THEMike
No not really.

Old 13th September 2003, 19:24   #19
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
kokojie...

Here we go again!! You have just posted in a thread that has been "dead" for 8 months, in your continued effort for the last half hour or so to "pepper" the Winamp forums with your senseless tirade.

It is NOT a bug but rather an unimplemented feature in Winamp3 right now. And now you've continued your "race" through the forums and have posted in the Bug Reports forum, in a long-dead thread. I have ALREADY explained all of it to you in at least 2 threads, and have told you to use Classic Winamp instead for your Chinese songs...

How to make Chinese ID3 tags??

Playing back media file that uses a different langage (Chinese)

You are coming perilously close to being BANNED from these forums. I'm growing TIRED of chasing you around the forums for the last half hour as you "pepper" the board with your utter nonsense and complaints about this ONE issue. Your posts with "tirades" concerning this issue are all over the board now. CEASE and DESIST or you will be banned from posting at the Winamp forums.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Bug Reports