Old 1st July 2008, 00:21   #1
Dawnrazor

How to sort the Playlist Editor by filename ??

Winamp is great there are just a few things that I can't quite make it do.

If you click on View and select "Playlist Editor", the box that brings up is the problem.

It lists the songs on albums and the default is to sort by title....so if a song is called "Alice" it shows up and plays first even if its track number is say 10 on the disk. Winamp shows it as 1 because alice is ALPHABETICALLY the first. The filename is "10 Alice.wav"

If you click on the misc box and click sort and sort by FILENAME, then it works the way it should, and ALice is the 10th song...but it never holds this setting, and the next time you play the album, Alice is listed first.

I searched the archives and all I could find that was related what the ATF and that is overridden by that sort setting.

SO, how do I make sort by filename to be the default???
Dawnrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 02:32   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
OK. Let's just look at this bit of what you said...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dawnrazor
If you click on the misc box and click sort and sort by FILENAME, then it works the way it should, and ALice is the 10th song...but it never holds this setting, and the next time you play the album, Alice is listed first.
All the above is fine, up until you said it never holds this setting -- but fixing it so it saves the settings is easy... BEFORE closing Winamp just SAVE the playlist (or resave if already pre-saved)...

That way, the next time you start Winamp and open/load that particular playlist, it will reopen sorted by filename, since it was last saved that way.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 05:18   #3
Dawnrazor

Nunzio,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the thing though. These are not playlists. The songs that show up in that box are part of a ALBUM. So nothing is saved as a playlist.

That box is just called playlist editor and I guess you can use it to add things and actually edit playlists, but I am just playing albums and this is where the songs show up.

How can I get it to display the tracks in order??

Look at the attached pict. It might help be better explain things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp screen.jpg (93.1 KB, 582 views)
Old 1st July 2008, 14:56   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Errr... no.

Without creating/saving playlists sorted as you would like, and instead pulling directly from the ML as you are doing, the only sort options I'm aware of that Winamp has natively are listed under that MISC button > Sort options. You can use an ATF string for display purposes, but you'll still have to rely on that MISC button > sort options to do what you want (without saving as a playlist).

The above is how it works natively (out of the box). There is another option though, and that is to use ActiveWinamp (I think the latest version is located HERE).

Requests for extra sorting options has been in the Winamp 5 Wishlist for quite awhile now. And you'll see when reading there that Shane Hird's ActiveWinamp is listed as one of the workarounds, which is why I linked to it above for you.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:42   #5
Dawnrazor

N,

You are the best!

Thanks for showing me this.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Meaning that I think I have installed it and selected one of the predone scripts and it just doesnt do anything. no confirmation that the script is running or anything like that.

I cant seem to find any documentation and this is a bit of a challenge for me. Where is the documentation or something that is designed for someone who knows nothing about scripts??

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp scripts.jpg (17.8 KB, 323 views)
Old 1st July 2008, 17:22   #6
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well, I never used ActiveWinamp myself. Never had any need to. I've been using Winamp for many years now and in the beginning there never was any Media Library but only the Playlist Editor, so even now I use playlists and I save them all.

btw... in one of your above posts you said this...
Here is the thing though. These are not playlists.

In effect anything you play (even if drawn from the ML) is referenced as a playlist, and is loaded into the Playlist Editor as such. So, yes - anything you play in Winamp is always a playlist. It's up to you whether or not you want to save them or not. Matter of fact, when you properly close Winamp, the last playlist is saved in the main Winamp folder as winamp.m3u and/or winamp.m3u8 (unicode-supported playlist). And that will be loaded back each time you start Winamp. But it will always be overwritten with whatever playlist you last used the next time you use Winamp and then close it. I always save my playlists with unique identifiable names outside of any Winamp folder/sub-folder, and then I reference them/load them into Winamp.

But back to ActiveWinamp...

As I said, I'm unfamiliar with it. It's a 3rd-party authored plugin developed by Shane Hird. I saw a few things HERE at his site...

A link to examples and a link to evidently (outdated) documentation. Have you looked at either of those? If all else fails, you can try and contact Shane for support. He is Winamp forums member shaneh. You can PM him (which may be unfeasible since he hasn't posted here since 04-09-2007) or you can try and contact him via his MAIN SITE perhaps via an email link there or a contact page, if either exist.
Old 1st July 2008, 17:42   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Where are you loading the .wav files from?

From Winamp's Media Library (Local Media views)?
From Winamp's Add/Open Files dialog?
Directly from Windows Explorer?
If the 3rd, then is it by drag+drop into Winamp or by double-click, or by right-click -> Play/Enqueue in Winamp?

Because WAV files don't support metadata (ie. no tagging system), the loading/sorting should be based entirely on filename alone, unless you've added the wav files to the ML and have edited their database entries via: ML -> Local Media (view) -> Tracks pane -> right-click song -> Edit Selected Items. Have you done this maybe? If so, then you would need to make sure that the Track # is filled in correctly...

If you haven't edited the database entries, and if the wav filenames are all e.g.
01 filename.wav
02 filename.wav
03 filename.wav
etc

then there is no reason that I can think of for why Winamp shouldn't be loading/listing them in the correct order in the Playlist Editor.

But yeah, provide more precise info/details, and then we'll take things from there.

Also tell us these following settings:

Winamp -> Prefs -> Playlist:
When loading multiple files, sort files by name = checked/unchecked?

Winamp -> Prefs -> Titles:
Which of the 3 'metadata reading' settings are checkmarked?
What is your current ATF string?

Winamp -> Prefs -> Media Library -> Local Media -> Options tab:
Use library title information for Playlist Item Formatting = checked/unchecked?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 17:48   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Aaahh!

Egg...

I never noticed that Dawnrazor was referring to WAV files only. But now that I look back I see this in the first post...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dawnrazor
The filename is "10 Alice.wav"
My bad.
Old 2nd July 2008, 04:56   #9
Dawnrazor

Hey thanks for the help. I probably should have spelled out the .wav situation a bit better...I forget that I am the only one using them on the planet.

Anyhow, I agree with you Egg that winamp should display them as they are named. I tried this on aother PC and it worked as it should. So it must be some setting I screwed up.

So here are the answers:

==Winamp -> Prefs -> Playlist:
When loading multiple files, sort files by name = checked/unchecked?==

Both have no effect.

==Winamp -> Prefs -> Titles:
Which of the 3 'metadata reading' settings are checkmarked?
What is your current ATF string?==

The middle one- default is checked

Here is the atf:

[$num(%track%,2) - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%))

Checking the atf box or not checking it had no effect on how it was displayed.

==Winamp -> Prefs -> Media Library -> Local Media -> Options tab:
Use library title information for Playlist Item Formatting = checked/unchecked?==

It was checked, but unchecking doesnt change anything.

I can look at my other rig and see how it is set up.

ALso these files are from the local media category.

THis really is strange. Thanks for the help.
Old 2nd July 2008, 05:14   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

How are you adding them from the ML to the Playlist?
There's a few different methods...
(drag+drop, right-click -> play/enqueue on the album, select all tracks in tracks pane -> right-click play/enqueue or click Play/Enqueue button, etc etc)

In the bottom Tracks pane of the relevant Local Media view (eg. Audio), is the Filename column visible? If not, right-click the column header (where it says: Artist | Album | Track | Genre | Year | Rating | etc), select 'Customize columns', add 'Filename', then click the Filename column header to sort that view by Filename.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:41   #11
Dawnrazor

HEy Egg,

Thanks again for the help.

I just click on the album art and it adds the songs. I made a special smart view that is just a simple album view. I deleted all the other views.

If I click on the local media tab then it shows track name and filename is listed there. If I sort by it, it changes the view there, but NOT in the playlist box.

What is interesting is that the .wav files don't show up as having track numbers. For some reason, winamp is not figuring that out from the filename.

Take a look at the attachment. If you look the 4th file down is a .wav file and doesn't have a track number listed.

the "album" smartview is the one I use all the time, and it just has cover art. This is how I select albums.

What could be causing it to miss the track numbers??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp local media.jpg (104.7 KB, 274 views)
Old 1st November 2009, 19:03   #12
nox969

Well, I’ve been looking for a workaround for this behaviour for some time now. I usually use my own custom media library view and, like you, I tend to use the simple album view (with just the album art showing) quite a lot. Now the problem arises when you want to add an album from that view, to the playlist (or enqueue... whatever is the need at the moment). The problem is that in some instances, the sorting in the playlist isn’t the one you’d hoped for (this is all contingent that your ID tags are in order off course)

The specific instances are compilation albums / soundtrack as most of these types of albums have multiple artists. Now, the issue is that Winamp apparently sorts song by default in order: artist name -> track # ... which is all good when you have only one artist (as with most albums), but doesn’t work with the aforementioned compilation albums / soundtracks. You can easily see this effect in the local media -> audio view of the media library. When you click on a compilation album, it will, by default show the song of the album in the lower box, sorted by Artist. I know that sorting files by track number in media library is easy as clicking on a column. That’s not the issue. The issue is in what order does winamp transfer album play request from the library to the player itself (or the playlist module, to be more specific).

Now, I’m a little anal retentive concerning my music collection tagging (simply because the collection is rather large, and without proper tagging, I would never find anything), so my songs all have file names beginning with track number. I have tried to force winamp in these situations to sort songs by file name when adding these sorts of albums (basically to do what the playlist is intended to do), but with no satisfactory results.
I know this issue is probably not that important to most people, but looking for a solution, I´ve come across lots of treads where people are asking basically the same question, but maybe not in such specific terms.

This has probably been discussed else ware, but my feeling on the matter is that the solution should be an addition in the way winamp reads metadata. In the situation when the player is requested to play an album, it should look up the track# id filed, if the field value is present, then it should obey that order (or at least, there should be an option to do so).

Some are probably going to argue that the same this can be achieved with playlist (and they will be quite right to argue that since playlist are just that, numbered lists). But the basic problem would still remain. The inability to launch specific albums with the correct song sorting (and more specifically, doing so by clicking on the album art in simple album view).

I hope this small issue will be resolved soon (if it´s not already... haven’t poked through the forum that much lately).... and yes, I know that Album List 2 has the functionality that I’m talking about... but unfortunately, is unstable in daily use (especial with large media libraries)
nox969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 19:03   #13
nox969

...[could the mod/admin delete this post...? I´ve double posted by accident]
nox969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support