Old 28th September 2009, 21:14   #1
dlb

Only one letter appears in taskbar

My Winamp taskbar button shows only one letter at a time. If scrolling is off, the first letter of the artist name appears. If scrolling is on, one letter at a time will quickly scroll through that one position.

My taskbar is not full, so it is a full-width button. See the attached screenshot. The artist is Bill Frisel. It does not seem to matter that I have Advanced Title Formatting turned on with this format:
[%artist% - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%)) from %album%

Very annoying. I have searched the forums (fora?) but cannot find any relevant discussions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp.jpg (1.5 KB, 437 views)
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 01:29   #2
dlb

additional info

The tooltip on the taskbar button also shows only one letter.
The notification tray icon tooltip shows the full trackname as expected.
The problem occurs on the taskbar button whether or not the tray icon is on.
I am running the latest version 5.56 on Windows XP with all the latest updates.
Old 29th September 2009, 06:54   #3
DrO

Please attach a "List of Plugins"...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins as this is most likely caused by a broken 3rd party plugin

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 14:26   #4
dlb

I can't believe it

The problem is fixed.
I installed the One for Nunz plug-in and restarted Winamp.
Now the problem is fixed. I'm slightly
embarrassed. I have rebooted a number of times this morning, changed the Title Formatting, and everything seems fine.

I attached my plug-ins list in case you are still interested. I will return if the problem pops up again. Incidental, it had been going on for quite some time and I had removed the taskbar button and gone with just a tray icon, but now I wanted my button back.

All good for now, except I have another little bug I will be posting on a separate thread about a plug-in.

Thanks for your quick response.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (8.6 KB, 339 views)
Old 29th September 2009, 14:45   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Well, if the problem does come back, then it will be one of these 3rd-party plugins causing it:

Cover & TAG Plug-In v3.4.2 [Gen_Cover.dll]
Facebook Listening To v1.0 [gen_listento.dll]
Lyrics Plugin [gen_lyrics.dll]
Winamp COM interface [gen_Winamp[0].dll]
WinAmp Control for Google Desktop 1.0 [gen_zxGDControl.dll]

You will need to determine which one and report the problem to the relevant plugin author.
There's no point making a new thread about it here because we do not provide support for 3rd-party plugins.
Only the 3rd-party plugin author can address/fix such problems.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 14:53   #6
dlb

thx

I uninstalled the listed plugins except for Lyrics and Cover & Tag, which are essential to my listening pleasure. Still no sign of the old problem.

My other plugin problem is minor and I saw an existing thread about it when I searched.

So, thanks again.
ttfn
Old 14th October 2009, 23:50   #7
martyritaville

For those with similar problem (e.g., me), WinAmp Control for Google Desktop 1.0 (gen_zxGDControl.dll) seems to be the culprit.

Thanks to tech support for their help.

M.
martyritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 21:48   #8
ron2112

I don't have any of the plugins listed, and I'm seeing the same issue in 5.571. I did not have this issue before upgrading yesterday (from 5.4, I believe).

I have a list of my plugins, but try as I might I'm just not seeing an attachment button here. Maybe because I'm editing... I'll try a new post (forum won't let me delete this one) and see if I can attach the list.

Ron Moses
ron2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 21:56   #9
ron2112

Here's the plugin list. Nunz.exe generated a whole mess of errors when I ran it so hopefully this is okay.

Sorry for the twin posts.
ron2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 22:18   #10
DrO

apart from all of the errors which points at a failed 5.571 install (would suggest re-installing) it could be any of the following causing the taskbar issue (typically from plug-ins not having been updated to be compatible with client versions from 5.34 and up):

gen_LMKP.Plugin.dll
gen_WAScreenSaver.dll
out_mp3splice.dll

-daz
Old 22nd January 2010, 03:15   #11
Dewed

The one letter thing

I just upgraded to 5.72 and started getting the "one letter thing" in the taskbar. It was OK, till I opened the media library. That's when the 'one letter' thing started. So I went back to 5.56 and that fixed it.
Dewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:43   #12
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
Please attach a "List of Plugins"...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins as this is most likely caused by a broken 3rd party plugin
as there are far far too many older plug-ins around which will cause a single character or ? to appear in the taskbar and they need to be found out and reported to the relevant authors of them. downgrading to an older version (where the issue will still be effectively present but not visible due to differences in the loading order, etc of the plug-ins installed isn't a proper fix).

if this comes over as a mini rant then i apologise but it has been almost 3 years since the fix for how to resolve this in 3rd party plug-ins was released and hardly any have been fixed from what i've seen - hence wanting to find out and report them (as i'm not keen on implementing a client side fix for something which needs to be natively done in the plug-ins).

-daz
Old 16th April 2010, 18:46   #13
mikeyo

On my machine the problem seems to occur as soon as "now playing" is selected in media library. isn't that a built in plug-in?
(the problem remains until i select something else and restart winamp)
mikeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 19:11   #14
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins please

-daz
Old 16th April 2010, 20:55   #15
JonnyMac

I had the same issue and traced to the NxS BigClock plug-in.
That saivert is always causing trouble.

mikeyo
It that is not the issue, please post a list of plug-ins as DrO asked for.

Thanks

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 18:34   #16
mikeyo

allright, it turns out "Winamp [Key]Controller v4.04 [gen_wkc4.dll]" was causing the issue. thanks.
mikeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 13:53   #17
nonhocapito

I had the same problem when I uninstalled the "ruzzz tray rating" plugin.

BUT I think the real culprit is the "Time Restore & Autoplay" plugin. It gave me this problem before. If I uninstall that one, the title on the taskbar start working again. And if I don't, and re-install "Ruzzz tray rating" plugin, it also work fine. I think "Time Restore & Autoplay" creates conflicts with other plugins...
nonhocapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 14:11   #18
DrO

the Time Restore & Autoplay plug-in is fully compliant with the api's needed to ensure that the taskbar will show unicode / all characters in it (has been since the versions released in 2007).

the reason you're saying it is the problem comes down to the loading order of the plug-ins and most likely the 'Ruzzz tray rating' plug-in is loaded before my one which will then make the issue appear (as soon as a non-unicode compatible plug-in appears in the loading order then any following plug-ins loaded will exacerbate the issue).

either you can contact the author and get them to use SetWindowLongPtr(..) for subclassing the main Winamp window if it is a unicode window or install http://nunzioweb.com/daz/unicodetaskbarfix/index.html and see what happens which attempts to patch older / incompatible plug-ins just for the issue you're seeing if there's no means to get the plug-in updated.

so the general summary is that most plug-ins unfortunately cause the issue though none of my actively supported ones will cause it (when i've made sure 60 plug-ins are compatible and have verified it then i'd like to think i know what i'm talking about ).

[edit]
i assume it is http://www.winamp.com/plugin/tray-rating/222140 this one that you're using and is the latest version you're using (were a few re-submits of the plug-in so i had thought it had already been made compatible) ?

might be a better idea to provide a plug-ins list -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins as might be something else causing the issue.

-daz
Old 20th November 2010, 14:20   #19
nonhocapito

oops, ok, sorry if I accused the wrong plugin!

"Time Restore & Autoplay" is actually too good a plugin to do without anyway. For the time being I have re-installed the Ruzzz plugin, which I don't really use, but which graciously allows for itself to be "disabled" without being uninstalled, so everything is not ideal but fine for the time being.
Old 20th November 2010, 14:27   #20
nonhocapito

yeah i am using the last version of Ruzz's. Is it possible that the culprit is another plugin altogether?
Attached Files
File Type: txt plug-in_list.txt (6.2 KB, 209 views)
Old 20th November 2010, 14:32   #21
DrO

from the list i'd say the following two are most likely the causes:

MiniLyrics for Winamp [gen_MiniLyrics.dll]
Toaster for Winamp Classic v0.7.6 [gen_toaster.dll]

alas there's no likely update for the toaster plug-in to ever happen now and not sure about minilyrics as they never place a plug-in version so i cannot say if you've even got a recent version (though they have fixed some issues with the plug-in with recent submissions made to the main site so there's a better chance of that being natively fixed).

so i'd have to suggest the unicodetaskbar fix plug-in to try to work around the issue.

-daz
Old 20th November 2010, 14:41   #22
nonhocapito

I can get rid of minilyrics (almost gladly), but toaster is too useful and still has no rivals as far as I can tell... (unless you have one to suggest!)
I will try the Unicode Taskbar fixer for sure...
Old 20th November 2010, 14:51   #23
DrO

i've no idea about a toaster replacement - i did try toaster with the fixer when making the fixer and it worked ok for me at the time (the fixer is going to be part of the next essentials pack so it is safe to use).

-daz
Old 20th November 2010, 14:56   #24
nonhocapito

yeah the fixer works beautifully. I uninstalled ruzzz's plugin afterwards, and this time the taskbar title kept working without problems. So thanks!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support