Old 9th November 2010, 17:54   #1
csrote

Winamp Pro with USB Drive is Troublesome

Hello Koopa,

Please reference posts 153-156 about moving my media collection to a portable USB Drive.

I now have my external USB 3.0 Hard Drive, which my PC has labeled as drive J.
PC is USB 2.0 but no problems using USB 3.0 drive.
Have copied entire media collection to USB drive.
Have upgraded to Winamp Pro.
Have edited Watchfolder paths to point to new J Drive.
(Please see attachments for all the above.)

Program is now unstable and frequently locks up and must be terminated.
Example 1: I play an audio file on the USB drive. Sometimes all OK. Other times , moving the volume control on Winamp causes Winamp to "go grey" aka lock-up" although audio file is still playing.
Example 2: To see if Winamp Pro is actually reading my new Watchfolder paths, I do not connect the USB drive after Winamp bootup. I select the audio file that is on the USB drive. It plays even though USB drive is not connected! Why?

Thank you for your help.

//Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-11-09-10-a.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	47880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-11-09-10-b.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	47881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-11-09-10-c.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	47882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-11-09-10-d.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	47885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-11-09-10-e.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	47886  

csrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 18:25   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Moved from Backup Tool thread to Winamp TS, because I doubt, that it's related to the BT.

Well, lets start.

1. First of all, you have set the dirs on your external drive under 'Local Media' > 'Watch folder', but on the other hand you show a screenshot of the portable library view too. That confuses me.

From where do you start playing the files, Local Media or Portables view in the library?

2. You also should note, that Backup Tool cannot backup/restore the settings for portable usb devices (external usb hard drives are portables too). Only if you use the external hard drive under 'Local Media', you can use the Backup Tool. It will not work, when you are using the Portable view in the library.

pmp_usb saves an ini file and a database file on the usb devices, which contains your settings.
It's impossible for me to backup these files, because I never get a fixed drive letter.

So that your HDD isn't shown under Portables anymore has nothing to do with BT.
You can try to manually connect the drive, Preferences > Plugins > Portables > 'Nullsoft USB Devices plugin'.

3. If you only use your external drive under Local Media, restoration should work, because the infos are stored in the local media library database and not on the usb device. Freezes and other issues sound more like an issue with your settings or an incompatible 3rd party plugin.

Please post a list of your installed plugins: Link.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 20:16   #3
csrote

I am confused!

Hello Koopa,

In previous posts I thought you told me to change the dirs under Local Media.

I do not want to use the local C: drive at all - it has insufficient space. I want to use my media library from the portable USB Drive ONLY. This includes wanting to use the USB drive when traveling with my laptop. I want the USB drive to be the "Media Source" no matter what machine it is attached to.

I have not used the backup tool at all. I copied my media library (the actual files - nothing from Winamp) to the USB HD using manual drag-and-drop, not any backup tool. I do not have the Backup Tool and do not know how to use it.
-------------------------------------------------------

First attachment shows view when Portables is selected. Other than "Loading Drive J:" nothing appears in the other content windows. Therefore I could not play any content from these windows. Does this indicate that I need some types of Winamp files on the USB drive that would tell Winamp what to do? Would these required files have been provided by using the Backup Tool?

Second attachment shows view when Local Media-Audio is selected. That is my content!
When I played an audio file, it was selected from this window since the Portables window was blank. I guess this means I was playing the content on my local C: hard drive.

Please find attached List of Plugins.

Thank you for your patience and very specific instructions.

Best regards,
//Cliff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z-11-09-10-f Portables Selected.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	47889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-11-09-10-g Local Media-Audio Selected.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	47890  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Z- my_plugin_list.txt (10.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 10th November 2010, 08:56   #4
joebloggscity

Hi Csrote

I think there are a number of people have a similar problem (inc me). I want to link my HTC Desire (as a hard drive) for tranferring music files and get a problem similar to what you are experiencign (and same with some others from posts on this forum).

Admin - Please can you help on this one? It's strange as winamp can see the drives but either doesn't load up the drive under portables/devices or takes forever. It should be faster, and should be able to scan quickly. It really is making things impossible.

If you need more info, then please contact me. I've posted about this a few times but no feedback as yet, and really this will help me & many others out. If we can't attach our phones to Winamp to pick up easily then a lot of the work that will be put into Winamp for portables will be redundant.
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 16:59   #5
csrote

Hello JoeBloggsCity,

Thnx for joining my thread!

I am wondering if I need to better understand what the Winamp Backup Tool does and how it should be used. This might contribute to better understanding how the Winamp media library works, too.

It seems to me that when a folder is added to the library, we are creating a small database of directory pointers. I changed my directory pointers to point to my J: drive, why doesn't Winamp play the file in the folder on the J: drive?

I am very willing to muck about with editing directory pointers, using the Backup Tool, whatever, but there do not seem to be any sufficiently clear explanations of how/where Winamp accesses actual media files, how that relates to the Media Library directory pointers, and how/what/why the Backup Tool does whatever it does. Aaaargh, this is frustrating!

In the links above (my initial post in this thread), Koopa wrote,
"The main aim of the tool is to provide a backup function for all configuration files, media library database, skins etc. A lot of people have corrupted setting files or lost their settings and ratings, so the ability to create backups and restore all things later when needed, was one of the most wanted features.

You can also use the tool to port your winamp installation from one system to another. But if you move you entire music files, you must change the path(s) under Preferences > Media Library > Local Media > Watch Folders. It's impossible for any tool, to autodetect, where you have moved your music files to.

Independent of the tool, when you want to store your files on an external HDD, you better should use 'Nullsoft Portable Media Player support' and 'Nullsoft USB device support'. The file letter for external drives can change dynamically, when your reconnect your drive, while the USB plugin saves all settings directly on the drive."

Does this mean that I should have not only my actual media files, but also the Winamp application and associated plugin and configuration files on the portable USB HD? Remember that my goal is to do ALL Winamp activities from the portable USB HD. I do not want any of my computers to be "Local."

Thnx for all help!
//Cliff
Old 10th November 2010, 17:05   #6
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

csrote:

You still haven't understood what I was saying.

You can use your external USB drive under Local Media. Then you can use the backup tool to save your database or even move your database to another PC, as long as you fix the drive letters later.

But you showed a screenshot of the portable library view. If you want to use your external drive for local media, you don't need the portable view.

All I was talking about is, that I cannot backup any settings for portables, but I can for local media.

So to make it simple:

1. If you use your external drive under 'Local Media' you can use Backup Tool

2. If you use your external drive under 'Portable Devices', you cannot use Backup Tool

You showed on your screenshots, that you use both views, which is confusing for me.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 17:41   #7
csrote

Hello Koopa,

My goal is to do ALL Winamp activities from the portable USB HD. I do not want any of my computers to be Local. I only want the USB HD to be Local

But what do I do?

Please tell me what steps to follow to accompish running Winamp ONLY from the USB HD.

Is step #1 ot get the Backup Tool? If so please provide the link.
Step#2 is ??

Thnx!
//Cliff
Old 10th November 2010, 19:09   #8
DrO

ignore the backup tool completely - you're confusing yourself and other people by mentioning it for the time being and backing up settings has nothing to do with the issue / confusion that is going on in this thread.

first question, when you want everything to be done from the usb drive, is this also including the Winamp settings or just the media ?

second question, is the drive a mapped drive (so shows with a drive letter) or is it a network share (like \\machine\path\stuff) ?

third question, are the files still present on your local hard drive or just on the usb drive now?
asking this as what you're posting indicates a mis-match of ideas and placement of files and would seem to match with the media still being on the original drive if playing from the local library still works even when the usb drive isn't connected.

overall the posts made so are confusing and in all honesty i'm probably not going to come back to this thread but clarification is need for other people reading this as i haven't got a clue what is being expected, etc and i bet most other people haven't either.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 21:08   #9
csrote

First question, when you want everything to be done from the usb drive, is this also including the Winamp settings or just the media ?

Everything: Winamp Settings, Media, and Winamp itself, if that is possible. Ideally I would be completely independent of any particular computer. Be completely portable. If I need to have Winamp installed on my varioius computers to do this, that would be OK. If that is the case, hopefully accessing the USB HD with all the media would still be plug-n-play with little difficulty.

Second question, is the drive a mapped drive (so shows with a drive letter) or is it a network share (like \\machine\path\stuff) ?

Currently I am on my desktop PC. When the USB HD is attached it is mapped drive J.

Third question, are the files still present on your local hard drive or just on the usb drive now?

The original media files and the original Winamp setup are still present and working on the desktop PC. Since upgrading to Winamp Pro and using the USB HD, Winamp Pro has become unstable at times. That is to say, Winamp locks up when adjusting the Winamp volume slider. Koopa requested a list of installed plugins and I supplied that in one of the posts, above.
Old 10th November 2010, 23:36   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Uninstall Winamp

Reinstall, and this time, change the Installation Directory (Installer Screen 3: Destination Folder)
to your USB drive, eg. J:\Winamp, instead of the default C:\Program Files\Winamp

Make sure you've got the latest plugins from the latest Essential Pack
(eg. if installing Winamp 5.59beta then make sure you install EP plugins from the 5.59beta EP, not from the one for 5.58x)

Go to the Winamp installation folder on your usb drive

Delete: paths.ini

This will make Winamp save settings/database/etc to the installation dir (in your case, the Winamp folder on your usb drive)
instead of in the %AppData%\Winamp folder

Optionally, if you don't want Winamp to write any file associations to the registry
then edit the no_registry=0 line in winamp.ini to no_registry=1

Open Winamp

If you are prompted to let Winamp manage the usb drive, say No.
This will add the usb drive to pmp_usb's blacklist.

I don't recommend using pmp_usb to manage large external usb drives.
It's mainly designed for generic thumbdrives & usb mp3 players.

Set Winamp up to taste

Add the root music folder on your usb drive to Watch Folders

Scan

The items in Local Media views will now be all the files on your usb drive.

Done :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 17:45   #11
csrote

Thank you DJ Egg!

Wanting to preserve the currently working Winamp and media files on my desktop PC, I followed your instructions for a new install of WinampPro 5.58 + Essentials 5.58 on my laptop PC.

I deleted paths.ini, but left no_registry=0 unchanged.

Winamp is successfully installed and running on the USB HD, which is G: when attached to the laptop.

Given that the USB HD will be J: when attached to the desktop, how do you recommend I proceed for using Wiinamp on the desktop PC (after uninstalling current Winamp)? Don't forget, there is now an independent installation of Winamp on the USB HD, which is also where the media files reside. Of course I will eventually erase the media files on the desktop PC, freeing up much space -- the main point of this exercise.

Thnx,
//Cliff
Old 13th November 2010, 18:10   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It should work ok, but you'll probably need to do a library rescan each time you connect the drive to the pc/laptop - because the mldb uses absolute paths.
Or ideally, you could just change the drive letter on the pc to J: instead of G: via Disk Management in Device Manager
(or vice-versa, depending on whether the laptop or pc is your main system, and which system you originally set up the database on).
Old 13th November 2010, 19:48   #13
csrote

I like the idea of changing the drive letter -- will try that later.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not completely up and running, however--

Laptop: Vista 64 Ultimate - new WinampPro install on USB HD with media files.
Desktop: Vista 32 Home - original unchanged Winamp install.

Testing my various file types on the new install and, after adding some codecs that were needed on the 32-bit platform, still not able to get video playback of a Matroska Video format file on the laptop. See attachments.

Winamp plays this file fine on the 32-bit Desktop. Not so on the 64-bit Laptop.

Here is the x64 codec I have tried.
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/05/findi...tter-beta.html

It is installed on the USB HD in a folder where I have tried to document all the codecs I have needed over the past year or so. Perhaps it needs to be installed elsewhere?

Thnx,
//Cliff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LOTR File.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	47910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haalli64.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	47911  
Old 14th November 2010, 04:53   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, that's where Winamp Pro comes in handy.
Winamp has native support for MKV (and AVI, FLV, MP4)
but only Winamp Pro has native support for MPEG-4 video codecs (h.264, mp4v, xvid, divx, etc) inside those containers.

For non-Pro installations, the instructions for MKV can be found here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=155680#mkv
Old 15th November 2010, 15:46   #15
csrote

But I have Winamp Pro.

I think it has to do with the laptop running 64-bit Vista.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:01   #16
csrote

In accordance with instructions at link you provided I added ";MKV" to Nullsoft Direct show Decoder.
File now plays properly.

Not sure why this was necessary since I have Winamp Pro.

Thnx!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support