Old 2nd December 2002, 09:10   #1
crummy

Send a message via ICQ to crummy Send a message via AIM to crummy Send a message via Yahoo to crummy
play/next/prev keys on keyboard

i've got some cheapo BTC 9000 keyboard, with lots of fancy buttons, a volume control, and play/stop/next/prev/eject buttons. by default it controls some crappy CD playing program. however i can set it to other programs - on winamp2 i had it run small EXE's which controlled winamp themselves.

however, i've just migrated to winamp3 (i know, a little late, but MMD3 - the skin - caught my eye and pulled me over.) and now there is no apparent way of changing songs through my keyboard. i tried a few programs that seemed great at first, but the buttons got mixed up (play was stop, prev was play, and all the others were prev). plus, it only worked when the winamp window was in focus.

so, is there any programs that you guys recommend?

oh, and one more thing - my BTC 9000 program (key maestro) that allows me to to open programs, press a set of keys, go to a web address, or enter a "string"... im not sure if that means code that would manually make winamp change or not.

thanks!
Old 2nd December 2002, 09:12   #2
crummy

Send a message via ICQ to crummy Send a message via AIM to crummy Send a message via Yahoo to crummy
oh, wait

upon further reading, the "string" bit just allows me to enter a whole lot of text automatically. nevermind that bit.
Old 2nd December 2002, 10:04   #3
crummy

um yeah, i tried that one, but it requires the winamp window to be in focus. quite a hassle when i'm in the middle of a game :P

plus, it seems to get my multimedia keys mixed up... i could fiddle with that, but not with this hassle of making the winamp window active.

any other alternatives?
Old 2nd December 2002, 10:35   #4
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
try to edit the english locale file:

<accelerator bind="Z" action="prev"/>
<accelerator bind="X" action="play"/>
<accelerator bind="C" action="pause"/>
<accelerator bind="V" action="stop"/>
<accelerator bind="B" action="next"/>

if it that what you mean

o_0
Old 2nd December 2002, 10:47   #5
crummy

er?

where or what is the english locale file?
Old 2nd December 2002, 19:36   #6
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
it only requires winamp window to be focus on Win9X!!! cause in my opinion Win9x SUX, and doesnt support what it needs to. if NT4 came with proper keyboard support, why didnt Win9X? not even all the way up to WinME did it have proper keyboard support.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 2nd December 2002, 20:00   #7
crummy

er

i'm on windows XP professional, and as far as I can tell it requires the winamp window to be in focus.
Old 2nd December 2002, 20:08   #8
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Re: er

Quote:
Originally posted by crummy
i'm on windows XP professional, and as far as I can tell it requires the winamp window to be in focus.
then things arent set up currently within the API-KB. or, you have either winamp or RM-X set to run in win9x compatibility mode. it should work just fine. i just tested it again to make sure, and there isnt a single problem with it on my WinNT4 or my WinXP machine.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 3rd December 2002, 12:49   #9
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
Quote:
Originally posted by crummy
er?

where or what is the english locale file?
...\Winamp3\Locales\english.xml

there you can bind the keys for the actions like play

o_0
Old 5th December 2002, 02:06   #10
crummy

hmm

i dont think the english locale file is what im looking for.

and i'm absolutely sure that the winAMP window has to be in focus... and plus, no matter what i select, it seems that my PREV button is shown as PLAY and yet it always does PLAY. no matter what action I select.

but all this is irrelevant if the window has to be in focus. and i'm using windows XP professional.
Old 5th December 2002, 03:06   #11
Hollow
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Hollow
You can bind exe's with command line parameters to your keyboard? then try setting winamp3 to NOT allow multiple instances, and these bound. This only works with builds 489(?) and up.

$Winamp3Dir$winamp3.exe /action=next

other actions include, play,pause,prev,stop

this works for me.

Reference

The moon is made of cheese.
Oh for some tasty moon cheese.
www.redtetrahedron.org

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion