Old 6th April 2014, 17:13   #1
MeCasa

Fullscreen controls

Hello Everyone

I'm an old WinAmp hand/ Music Server Pirate who wandered off during the AOL years

I was reminiscing about the quality of WinAmp's visualizations and I downloaded the new version (new for me) out of curiosity and I'm trying to see the Vol etc. controls while in Fullscreen.

What am I doing wrong and how do I configure to have controls appear when I hover/click or.....

Thanks
MeCasa
MeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 17:23   #2
DrO

unless the vis plug-in provides such things (which AVS and Milkdrop do not), then you're not going to see any onscreen controls (is only with video playback that it's provided). the most the natively shipped vis plug-ins provide is forwarding of key presses to Winamp to allow for things like the volume to be changed.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 17:40   #3
MeCasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
unless the vis plug-in provides such things (which AVS and Milkdrop do not), then you're not going to see any onscreen controls (is only with video playback that it's provided). the most the natively shipped vis plug-ins provide is forwarding of key presses to Winamp to allow for things like the volume to be changed.
My bad, I always thought that controls were part of the player and not of any particular visualization.

Sorry for my ignorance but I want to insure that I understand the term 'native' although I assume that native is visualizations supplied by WinAmp.

If memory serves, MilkDrop would be a third party visualization format, therefore my problem

Am I close?
Old 6th April 2014, 17:46   #4
DrO

AVS and Milkdrop are native vis plug-ins in Winamp 5.x.

Milkdrop was a 3rd party plug-in but it was later introduced into Winamp as a native vis plug-in (becoming the default in place of AVS about a decade ago if i remember correctly).

however, both AVS and Milkdrop are now open source so there's nothing stopping you (if you can code) from adding on-screen controls for them (if that's what you use). otherwise depending on the vis plug-in(s) you're trying to use, you might be able to get an update from the plug-in author (though most vis plug-ins have long since been dead development wise, which was even the case when you were last posting on here in 2003).
Old 6th April 2014, 18:04   #5
MeCasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
(though most vis plug-ins have long since been dead development wise, which was even the case when you were last posting on here in 2003).
I do remember that to be the case although I incorrectly assumed that was a short term lack of interest. I'm not a big forum poster and just for kicks I looked back at my old posts. it made me smile that I came to this forum to express sadness over AOL's takeover and Gracenote's commercialization.

Pirates die hard but progress stops for no man

I appreciate your help.
Old 6th April 2014, 18:10   #6
DrO

the irony of your old posts is that you'd been using an AOL provided version for a few years (seeing as the AOL purchase was in mid-1999 and everything from v2.5 to v5.666, including all Winamp3 releases, were under their ownership).

though that era has ended now with the sale of Winamp (and SHOUTcast) in January 2014 and the Gracenote aspect will be going (likely being replaced with a Musicbrainz based setup instead).
Old 6th April 2014, 18:28   #7
MeCasa

No irony there, to many of us Justin Frankel was WinAmp and as long as he was involved we had a say in WinAmp. In those posts I was reverting back to 2X and moving to configure it to Freedb to avoid commercialization. We helped build Gracenote as a source for all and we felt betrayed.

"On December 9, 2003 AOL shut down Nullsoft's San Francisco offices and laid off 450 employees"

And I left :-)

Meaningless protest but.................................

Take care my friend
Old 21st May 2014, 02:56   #8
chuckjmoore1991

Gracenote metadata is meant for app developers to help artists make money, not make sure fans have correct metadata in their tags. If you want the metadata in your tags to be perfect, I suggest using Google Play Music and upload up to 20,000 your songs to the cloud. When you edit track info, you are given suggestions on the correct metadata that should be in your tags. You can also access your squeaky clean tags anywhere. Winamp would be great if it could play songs in your Google Play Music library without having to download the songs.
chuckjmoore1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 03:19   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckjmoore1991 View Post
Winamp would be great if it could play songs in your Google Play Music library without having to download the songs.
Services provided and controlled by others have at least 1 advantage and 2 disadvantages.

Advantage:
It already exists.

Disadvantages:
1. It controls what you can do.
2. It can disappear.

Before AOL announced the shutdown, Winamp was testing a cloud service of it's own. That may be revised in some way with the new owners.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support