Old 18th May 2004, 03:31   #1
Larry Freeman

Send a message via AIM to Larry Freeman
ShoutCast (source) no data (30 second timeout)

I would like to fine out if anyone else is having problems with the ShoutCast(source) timing out on them. In the last few months I have had the ShoutCast timeout a large number of times. Night I noticed that it timed out in the middle of a song. I am wondering if there is a bug with the ShoutCast source. If anyone else is having this issue, let me know how you may have corrected the problem.
See below:
<05/18/04@04:21:25> [source] no data (30s timeout). disconnecting.
<05/18/04@04:21:26> [main] connecting to yp.shoutcast.com to remove myself [no source]
<05/18/04@04:21:26> [yp_rem] yp.shoutcast.com removed me!
<05/18/04@04:21:34> [source] connected from 4.4.44.80
<05/18/04@04:21:35> [source] icy-name:The Source: Smooth Jazz and MORE - The Best Smooth Jazz on the Internet - Portland, OR ; icy-genre:Smooth Jazz
<05/18/04@04:21:35> [source] icy-pub:1 ;icq:0 ; icy-aim:N/A
<05/18/04@04:21:35> [client: c:\servs\S-3XD407234M085935H\intro.mp3] Error opening intro file
Larry Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2004, 08:15   #2
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

no source = not a valid mp3 file
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2004, 03:35   #3
Larry Freeman

Thanks for your reply. I still a little comfused about (no source: not a valid mp3 file). In the last few days I have been checking my files and they all seem to good mp3 files. I have had seven(7) no data (30s timeouts) and all have been in the middle of the song. There has to be another reason for this happening.
I have DSL connection, router seems to be working properly, server? Don't know what else can be done, but just live with the reconnecting, which I don't like because listeners drop when this happens.
Again thanks for your input.
Old 24th May 2004, 07:39   #4
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Double check that all files are the same bitrate, such as 128k 44 khz Stereo, 56k 22.5 khz mono, etc. If you have alot of conflicting files it can wreak havok with your stream expecially if a file is at a bitrate lower than your stream.

You can get free encoders that can batch re-encode all the files to the same settings to avoid such problems. There could also be slight glitches and errors in mp3 files causing the same problem.

The log does show some type of error with your intro file, but that would not cause it to timeout in the middle of a song.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Don't click this link!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2004, 22:35   #5
Larry Freeman

Could there be any other possible reason for the no data (30s timeout)than invalid mp3 file. I have deleted or re-encoded just about all of my mp3 playlist and still getting:
<05/27/04@16:08:31> [source] no data (30s timeout). disconnecting.
<05/27/04@16:08:32> [main] connecting to yp.shoutcast.com to remove myself [no source]
<05/27/04@16:08:32> [yp_rem] yp.shoutcast.com removed me!
<05/27/04@16:08:40> [source] connected from 4.4.44.80
<05/27/04@16:08:41> [source] icy-name:The Source: Smooth Jazz and MORE - The Best Smooth Jazz on the Internet - Portland, Oregon ; icy-genre:Smooth Jazz
<05/27/04@16:08:41> [source] icy-pub:1 ; icy-br:64 ; icy-url:http://mysite.verizon.net/res7v1un/ <05/27/04@16:08:41> [source] icy-irc:#shoutcast ; icy-icq:0 ; icy-aim:N/A
I have even trimmed a lot of the mp3's so you get very little silence. Don't know what else could possibly be the problem.

Thanks
Old 30th May 2004, 02:58   #6
Larry Freeman

OK, maybe I'm being a pain in the butt, but there has got to be another reason why I am getting this:

<05/29/04@20:45:15> [source] no data (30s timeout). disconnecting.
<05/29/04@20:45:16> [main] connecting to yp.shoutcast.com to remove myself [no source]
<05/29/04@20:45:16> [yp_rem] yp.shoutcast.com removed me!

Today while I was listening to my broadcast, the broadcast stopped right in the middle of a song, and reconnected with the timeout 30 seconds. Now I know this song was a valid mp3, because it came off of a new CD. There has got be another reason why ShoutCast Source does this. On a average of 3-4 times within a 24 hour period I may get: [source] no data (30s timeout). disconnecting.

All my mp3 are 128kbps 44 kHz that the encoder on ShoutCast encodes at 64kbps 22kHz. All have be re-encoded at 128kbps 44kHz. I use a Linksys router and two screaming service for my broadcast. I have deleted and download winamp 2.91, and the DSP several times, still this keeps happening. Been a pain for the last 5-6 months on this issue. Can anyone help?
Old 13th June 2004, 15:41   #7
CKWRadio

30 sec time-out ERR

Ok whats going on? My Server is going nuts every day at least 3 time is is diconnecting 30 sec time -out aswell.This affects the station dramactly for the simple reason that listeners will just move on to the next station, Valued listeners are at a premium and if the streams gone because of the glitch,it will be very hard or impossible to convince them to come back to the station!! Some one please help with this issue!!!!!! Robb@RmG Ent CKW COUNTRY
CKWRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2004, 06:04   #8
drivehell

im having the very same issue.. it's been going on for weeks now.

Perhaps a good way to test would be to find the file that was playing at that time and play it again...
drivehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2004, 21:11   #9
drivehell

anyone ever figure out what causes this?

It's been months now and the problem has persisted.

At least once a day some of my relays disconnect with the no data timeout msg.

One day, one of my relays disconnected like 20-30 times because of this.

I dunno what to do.
drivehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 15:44   #10
MyTjoe

My station has been up for 2 months now, working great, and last night was the first time that this "no data (30 second timeout)" problem ever came up.

With regards to the encoding rate, I was running it just fine a few weeks ago with a variety of tracks of different rates (some lower than my broadcast) and it did not cause any problem. Those songs are off now (they were my ancient halloween collection) and only freshly ripped tracks are on now (all are higher than I am streaming). I have tried to narrow it down to a particular song or songs and there is no detectable pattern. It is doing it on songs that have been in my list from the beginning and on newer ones.

When it first started, I assumed it was my ISP, but nothing else was having issues. I thought it was Shoutcast themselves but I could kill WinAmp and it would immediately connect on startup and be fine again - for a little while. Then I noticed that some of the times, the Shoutcast Source (v1.9) plugin was locked up. The display was still showing activity (reconnecting on both of my streams and the signal bars moving) but I couldn't close the window, or switch to "none" in the DSP plugin config. Other times, as soon as it timed out, I was able to switch to "none" in the DSP config and then switch back to Shoutcast Source v1.9 and it would startup right away and streaming again.

This also created another symptom. This morning, the stream was alive and well, but I couldn't access the data from Song Requester from other computers (inside router and out) or any other file in my "server". A reboot of the PC got it all working again, but that is the first time this has happened. Seems rather coincidental that it happens when this other issue has just come up. Later I found that I don't have to reboot the pc, just stopping winamp and restarting it takes care of it.

I am also running the DoSomething plugin. I have it set to post the current song and the last three songs to another html file and then ftp that up to another server so that I can get that data from my office (only allows port 80 traffic). When this "no data" issue comes up, WinAmp keeps on playing the songs and DoSomething keeps posting the correct data. Yet when I try to access html files from where I have Shoutcast Source set as my server, I cannot reach the destination. It is like the server stops being a server.

Stopping and restarting just the Shoutcast Source plugin gets the music playing again, but the html files there are not accessible until I close WinAmp and then restart it. Then everything works again - until the next timeout.

Again, I sometimes think it is my ISP blocking outbound, or my router, but simply stopping and restarting WinAmp gets everything running again.

I am running WinAmp 5.35. I see that 5.5 is available but am reluctant to upgrade. Any thoughts on that?

This is frustrating because it has been working great up until now. And it is random... it will run fine for hours, or it will bomb after 20 minutes....
MyTjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 03:15   #11
MyTjoe

Adding to my lengthy description... here is something rather interesting.

This is a thread over at oddsock
http://www.oddsock.org/openbb/read.php?TID=2211
http://www.oddsock.org/openbb/read.php?TID=2211

(since the url is probably masked here, go to oddsock . org and search for the thread called "SongRequester breaks broadcasting")

There is a theory about it being the SongRequester plugin doing it. I am going to do some of my own testing.

In the meantime, I found out tonight that just yesterday, my son installed and activated a TeamSpeak server on his computer that is on my same network. Preliminary tests do not show that it is the cause of my problem, but it sure is a coincidence.

It's just weird that what ever this is that it breaks the ability for me to hit pages on my server until i close and restart winamp.

T
MyTjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support