Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 24th June 2007, 21:08   #1
smoothjazzy

Driver Conflict - PxHelp20 with LG DVD Burner drive after upgrading to Winamp 5.35

Driver Conflict - PxHelp20 with LG GSA-H42L DVD Burner drive after upgrading to Winamp 5.35

Affected System:

Compaq DeskPro EN small form factor
- Pentium III, 773 MHz, 133 MHz FSB
- 384 MB RAM
- Seagate Barracuda 250GB HD
- Win2K SP4, relatively up to date with patches
- SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio sound card
- LG GSA-H42L DVD/CD burner drive (Firmware ver SL01)
- SIIG 5-port USB 2.0 card (PCI)
- Linksys WMP54GS Wi-Fi card (PCI)
- Internet Connection: Cable, 10Mb/s DL
- Burning software installed: Nero Express 6 and InCD 4.3.18.0, iTunes 7.1.1.5 (with CD Driver 2.0.6.1, CD Driver DLL 2.0.6.2)

Problem description:
I am a long-time Winamp user. Several months ago, I installed Winamp 5.33 as the first Winamp install on this legacy PC (after fresh format/install of OS). It worked great, only complaint was that the Media Library took an excruciatingly long time to load/update the Shoutcast Radio browser screen (which has definitely been fixed by the Winamp 5.35 update -- nicely done!!! -- but I digress).

Immediately after installing the Winamp 5.35 update this week ("full install" selected), my LG DVD burner (only 3 months old, works great and is a very new model from LG) experienced the following problem:

It was no longer recognized as a drive in Windows Explorer. Audiograbber would list a CD's music tracks, but it could not play or rip them. WMP could not play a CD in the drive either. Win2K's hardware Device Manager properties for the LG drive reported the following error message with the yellow exclamation icon: "The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)."

Via Googling for this error message, I found the following resolution at Microsoft's site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270008

Folowing the MS KB article, I backed up the specified registry branch and followed "Method One", removing all the "LowerFilters" and "UpperFilters" values for the specified registry path and rebooted. The LG drive appeared properly in the device manager and played and ripped properly.

To further pinpoint and verify the problem, I restored the registry branch and rebooted. The problem returned. Then I removed only the PxHelp20 entry from the "LowerFilters" key and rebooted, and the problem was resolved. That is all I changed in the registry, and did not delete any files. I kept the other values below, as I did not want to accidentally disable needed drivers for my other burning apps.

My current LowerFilters and UpperFilters values for that registry branch is as follows (listed in order displayed in Regedit):
LowerFilters: Cdr4_2K
UpperFilters: Cdralw2k GEARAspiWDM incdrm inCDPass

Before the "fix", LowerFilters had listed: PxHelp20 Cdr4_2K

From searching online and the forums here, it appears this is related to the Sonic burning engine. I seem to recall seeing the Sonic burning option checked when I browsed down through the Winamp 5.35 "full install" options when I upgraded. I am guessing here, but perhaps it was not installed when I installed Winamp 5.33, or if it was, then something in the 5.35 update caused this problem. Everything coexisted perfectly previously.

FYI, I have not tried burning any CD's or DVD's since making this registry change (haven't needed to burn anything yet), so I can only verify that my solution has only restored the LG drive's proper recognition by Windows 2000 SP4 and its playback and CD music ripping capabilities. By the way, I do not do any burning from within Winamp.

From other Winamp forum threads (searching on "pxhelp20"), it appears that uninstalling Winamp will not uninstall the majority of the Sonic system files, which is a shame. It sounds as though a very tedious and manual uninstall method is required, and it might require reinstallation of other programs utilizing the Sonic engine.

As I have no idea if Nero, InCD, or iTunes uses the Sonic engine, I am reluctant to manually uninstall Sonic at this time, especially as it may not be causing any more problems at this time. However, I haven't burned any discs since the problem, so who knows.

I wanted to report this as others may encounter it. So far it looks like an easy fix as long as I can still burn okay. Please let me know if you have had any other reports or experience with this problem that may also help.

If you can, please verify for me whether Nero, InCD, and/or iTunes utilizes the Sonic burning engine. I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
smoothjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 21:48   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I can verify that neither Ahead Nero/InCD nor iTunes use the Sonic Engine.

I guess there's always the possibility that the Sonic Engine just isn't compatible with your LG DVD Burner...

Did you reboot after installing Winamp/Sonic?
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 23:57   #3
smoothjazzy

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
I can verify that neither Ahead Nero/InCD nor iTunes use the Sonic Engine.

I guess there's always the possibility that the Sonic Engine just isn't compatible with your LG DVD Burner...

Did you reboot after installing Winamp/Sonic?
Thanks for the info, good to know. Yes, I did reboot and did many more during troubleshooting.

Also, I forgot to mention I've got ImgBurn installed -- does that use the Sonic engine?

Lastly, I found this thread in the Winamp Troubleshooting forum for uninstalling Sonic -- which post in the thread is the best way to go for someone who knows what they're doing in the registry and system files? Is this still valid info since it's from 2005/06?

Please see:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234383&highlight=pxhelp20
smoothjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports