Old 14th January 2008, 15:30   #1
winampoid

Gapless output ?

I have a 5 minute mp3 of pink noise and I've been playing with crossfaders and gapless output in order to make the track NOT have a gap as it is looping/repeating. I am trying to sleep to it and I can't seem to make it loop without pausing. I thought crossfading would work, but these require 2 winamp players, etc. Any ideas how to do this? I guess I could get mp3 editor and cut/paste a 7 hour version. That might be too big though.
Thanks
winampoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 16:59   #2
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

hmm if you cut the silent parts from the beginning and the end away, add the track twice to the playlist, toggle crossfading and repeat on it should work.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 17:04   #3
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Why do you think that cross fading needs two players? If by some bizarre reason it doesn't work on looping the same file, enqueue it twice and the problem is solved. You could try the silence removal feature of out_ds if you do have problems with pauses.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 17:08   #4
ujay
Forum King

There are some problems using mp3 for gapless in the sense you want.

Much better to use wav. For pink noise you shouldn't need to worry too much about the actual splice point, just trim the start and end of the clip so there is no silence.
If you notice a change in sound character at the splice then trim a little bit off the end of the clip and see if that sounds better.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 19:48   #5
winampoid

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
There are some problems using mp3 for gapless in the sense you want.

Much better to use wav. For pink noise you shouldn't need to worry too much about the actual splice point, just trim the start and end of the clip so there is no silence.
If you notice a change in sound character at the splice then trim a little bit off the end of the clip and see if that sounds better.

UJ
Hi, The file has no lead up or fade out. I switched to wav and the pause between the loop decreased dramatically, however the wav version now has clicks, so I just cut and pasted it into a 2 hour file @ 400Meg mp3. I figure the mp3 gap shouldn't wake me up after 1.5ish hours of being asleep. We'll see. I am staying a loud hotel in Manhattan for a week and will need winamp and pink noise to sleep. Thanks for the replies.
Old 14th January 2008, 19:53   #6
winampoid

crap I just figured it out. I have winamp playing one clip (on repeat) and snackamp (on repeat) playing the same clip starting just after winamp, since it is pink noise you can't tell when one stops and the other starts. yee haa, solved ! Sleepy time.
Old 14th January 2008, 21:35   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
And for everyone that doesn't know what Pink Noise is.

Why do you sleep to it?
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 02:05   #8
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

It's a good idea for travelers like us (or rather, like I used to be). Noisy hotels are a pain, and pink noise would serve, to some extent, in counteracting the racket. If you can get used to sleeping with pink niose in the background, that is.

Personally, I'd wake up with nightmares of Poltergeist in my bedroom. "They're here." :chills:

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 02:24   #9
LeadFoot

Or white noise, with something like this:
http://brookstone.com/store/product....=Result*R2C1*T
It travels well domestically, but for international, I needed a power converter (the power brick only did 120V 60Hz.)
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 21:12   #10
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
It's a good idea for travelers like us (or rather, like I used to be). Noisy hotels are a pain, and pink noise would serve, to some extent, in counteracting the racket. If you can get used to sleeping with pink niose in the background, that is.

Personally, I'd wake up with nightmares of Poltergeist in my bedroom. "They're here." :chills:
ROFL

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions