Old 14th February 2012, 22:59   #1
Greendoor

How can all presets from the preset folder be loaded?

I am running Winamp on several computers and using the milkdrop2 visualization exclusively. Computers are Dell Latitude D610 and D630 laptops, Dell Optiplex GX260 desktop, all running XP. All with freshly installed Winamp 5.623.

When accessing the preset menu from the full screen mode (by pressing “L”) the preset menu shows a different list of presets in each computer, and none of them include all of the 898 presets included in the preset file folder.

Is there a way to make milkdrop2 load all of the presets from the folder and/or show all of them on the full screen view so they can be selected?

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated. What a fantastic program!

Best regards, Greendoor
Greendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 02:46   #2
Amandio C

Hi Greendoor. You can navigate any menu with the arrow and enter keys and also create new preset folders inside the default one or elsewhere. When starting MD it will read presets in the last folder opened. Some users report problems when the preset folders are outside the default one, but I never had an issue with this.
Amandio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 06:09   #3
Greendoor

Greetings Amandio, thank you for answering my question. I did as you suggested. I created another folder for presets under the MD2 folder and put the plugins I was trying to access in that folder.

Just as you suggested, I could see and access the folder from the "L" menu, however the presets I was trying to load could not be seen from that folder either.

Specifically, I am trying to get "martin - night in the forest" and "martin - sunset over the river" to load, but they seem to be blocked from either folder when I try to see them on the visualization screen. I can load other presets into the new folder and sure enough, they show up, just not the ones I am trying to see.

Are the presets available in the visualizer a function of (or limited by) the video card or computer system? If so, can this be overridden so all presets can be seen.

The list in the presets folder is the same on all of my computers, but list shown in the visualizer is different on each. None of my computers shows all 898 presets.

Do you have other suggestions? Thank you again for taking the time to help. G
Old 15th February 2012, 16:05   #4
Nitorami
Major Dude

Hi Greendoor

Milkdrop determines the ability of your video card and then decides which presets would run and which not. For instance on a machine with an old shader 1 video card, milkdrop will not show presets requiring shader 2 or 3 (and virtually all of my presets require that).

If you think that milkdrop is wrong, you may try to override the automatic detection in the preset config menu but be warned this may cause a crash and I don't know whether it will work or not.

Martin
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 16:30   #5
Greendoor

Greetings Martin, thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I suspected that Milkdrop was doing just what you said, but it helps to have it confirmed. In my case, this eliminates my perpetual suspicion of excessive operator head-space on my part.

I obviously have one newer computer which will run most of your presets, and I wanted them on my other (older) computers as well. Time for an upgrade...

I was blown away when I first saw your "no religion" preset. I think your presets, especially the three I've mentioned, are some of the best and most creative in the system. They are simply stunning. Thank you for providing them. Keep up the great work and thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions. Best regards, Brent.
Old 16th February 2012, 16:58   #6
Nitorami
Major Dude

Thanks for the encouragment Greendoor. The three presets you mentioned are quite old, go check the more recent works in my "complete collection" thread. You'll also find a lot of great stuff in other threads of this forum.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 18:40   #7
Greendoor

Greetings Martin, Wow! Thank you for the tip. I just spent the last hour watching many of your latest presets. Damned impressive. There goes my afternoon...

Does Winamp add all of the new presets that you and others are creating when they do new software releases? I assume they are.

Adding the presets from this site is an excellent way to see some impressive stuff, and hopefully what will be coming in future Winamp upgrades. Great work. Thanks again.

Best regards, Greendoor
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets