Old 4th October 2012, 17:22   #1
bderringer

Play to networked audio player

Hi:

Quick question: Windows media player has the ability to "play to" a networked Denon receiver on my home network. This allows me to use the Denon's various home zones to stream music from my pc anywhere in my home. Does winamp have that abiliity and if so, how do I access it and set it up?

Thanks!
bderringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 13:59   #2
bderringer

Winamp apparently does not have

the same capabilities as Windows Media Player. Why then would anyone download an extra pos like this? Amazing.
bderringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 17:10   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Maybe because WA has some capabilities that WMP does not have, imo. Different apps have different capabilities just like some people have different capabilities, needs, and desires. If you have no need for WA, then don't use it and please keep your pos attitude to yourself.

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 15:04   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Some people like me will use Winamp to rip, tag and organise a collection of music. I then use it as my main music player. But if I want to use Play To to pass audio to my DLNA kit I will fire up WMP and let it index the same tracks.

Why don't I use WMP for everything? Because it only handles a small subset of my audio and video collection. The Play To support is missing for just too many file types. Especially my FLAC collection of audio.

Basically Winamp does a lot of things that WMP does not do. So IMHO they work well together.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 16:22   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi bderringer,

Please excuse my rudeness in my prior post, was not myself that day. If you want Winamp to do things that it currently does not, you can post your wishes in the Wishlist forum. If you want to vent, there is a Bitchlist forum for that also.

http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I agree with Batter Pudding, Winamp and Windows Media Player have their uses. I prefer using Windows Media Player for video files (with a little help from a 3rd party codec package) and Winamp for music only.

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 16:31   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

The Win7 OS "PlayTo" feature is a little weird and inconsistent. I find that WMP will play many more video types than it will support on "PlayTo". Which is kinda weird. I assume this is a side effect of the K-Lite codec pack I am using.

I can load up all kinds of different video types into a WMP playlist using WMP. And then use the options within WMP to send this playlist to another device (in my case a Panasonic TV set with DLNA support). This playlist supports way more video formats that the OS PlayTo option supports.

There are some UPnP plugins for Winamp around, but I have never actually played around with them.

(Currently, in spare time, I am trying to hack the registry to expand the PlayTo support... but this is a slow project due to lack of personal time)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support