Old 31st August 2003, 21:20   #1
joejoejoe

Linking the broadcast

B4 you all ask yes i did search the forums for the answer but nothing really answered my question. Basically i've set everything up fine and am broadcasting fine, but i have completely no idea how to put a link up on a webpage to let people listen to the broadcast. Putting up the http://217.42.136.214.20:8000/listen.pls dosent seem to do anything. Basically when they click on the link i want it to open up windows media player and start playing the stream. How do i do this please?

as simple as possible plz!

joejoejoe
joejoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2003, 21:32   #2
jackherer
Major Dude

Windows media player doesn't play shoutcast stream very well and generally isn't associated with pls files. I suspect this is done on purpose by ms cos they want you to run windows media services and not shoutcast. Use any other media player like winamp, zinf, musicmatch, real one etc and it should work fine. If you absolutely have to use wmplayer then copy and paste the following into notepad

<ASX version = "3.0">
<Title>Your Title</Title>
<Entry>
<Title>Your Title</Title>
<Ref href = "http://youip:yourport">
</Entry>
</ASX>

change yourip and yourport to the correct settings and save it as something.asx, post this on any webspace and create a link to it and it'l open your stream in wmplayer.

Be aware this will only work with the latest versions of wmplayer 8 & 9 i think. Older players will just simply not play the stream. There is no way i have found to get older wmplayers tpo play shoutcast streams.

Do not PM me for tech support !
jackherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2003, 21:33   #3
djmastermind
Forum King

Well, first of all, that IP won't work.. I hope you typed it wrong.. An IP is formatted like this: x.x.x.x and you have yours x.x.x.x.x

Anyhow.. You want to link people from your website and have a player come up or have it embedded in your site?

-- Michael
djmastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2003, 21:37   #4
joejoejoe

well both options if possible - how would i embed it in the page?
Old 31st August 2003, 21:44   #5
djmastermind
Forum King

I just made an embedded stream today here. It's really damn easy.. as long as you are running your site using HTML.

-- Michael
Old 31st August 2003, 21:45   #6
joejoejoe

that link didnt work and i go the following message -

Cannot play the specified file
Windows Media Player cannot play the specified file. This error message may occur for one of the following reasons:

The path to the file is not valid. If you typed a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) address in the Open URL dialog box, be sure the file name is spelled correctly and the path to the file is correct, and then try again. If you clicked a link on a Web page, clicking the link again may fix the problem.
The server is down or busy. Try to connect to the server at a later time.
Some network protocols in the Player are not enabled. Enable all network protocols, and then try again.
The proxy server settings for Windows Media Player are not configured properly. Verify that your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.
To enable all network protocols
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.
In the Protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.
To verify your proxy server settings
On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Network tab, and then verify your settings in the Proxy settings area.
Note If you do not know what your proxy server settings should be, on the Network tab, select a protocol, click Configure, and then select one of the following options:

Autodetect proxy settings
Use proxy settings of the Web browser (available for HTTP protocol only)

I tried that lot but stil nuthing
any ideas?
Old 31st August 2003, 21:47   #7
djmastermind
Forum King

I would suggest making a Real Player embedded stream.. you can make it work with http://yourIP:yourPORT/listen.pls without a problem

-- Michael
Old 31st August 2003, 21:48   #8
jackherer
Major Dude

Just a quick piece of advice if you embed windows media player in a web page it will only play back the stream on peoples computers who have either windows media player vewrsion 8 or 9 installed. For the many people who have version 7 and below installed IT WILL NOT PLAY BACK THE STREAM. Microsoft only want you to play back windows media streams. I have found this out through bitter experiance. Just use the pls link and tell people to download winamp. It's small and plays back eveything.

Do not PM me for tech support !
jackherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2003, 21:52   #9
joejoejoe

but i need to check the stream is working myself and i cant broadcast and listen with winamp at the same time!
Old 31st August 2003, 21:54   #10
joejoejoe

hang on a minute am i meant to have made a listen.pls file sum where?
Old 31st August 2003, 22:00   #11
joejoejoe

could sum 1 basically walk me through how to set the listening aspect up plz plz plz?
Old 31st August 2003, 22:03   #12
djmastermind
Forum King

Turn down the broadcasting WinAmp so there's no sound... Make sure WinAmp is selected and hit "ctrl+alt+n". In the new window, hit "ctrl+L".. enter your address there... http://yourIP:yourPORT/listen.pls

Make sure your IP is right at www.whatismyip.com

-- Michael
Old 31st August 2003, 22:04   #13
djmastermind
Forum King

You do not need a listen.pls file anywhere... that tag simply tells WinAmp to open the stream.

-- Michael
Old 31st August 2003, 22:07   #14
joejoejoe

said error conecting
can sum1 else try connecting to it plz?
Mayb its my firewall
Old 31st August 2003, 22:10   #15
djmastermind
Forum King

Not working for me either.

What version of Windows are you running?

Are you on a router?

-- Michael
Old 31st August 2003, 22:11   #16
joejoejoe

Windows XP and whats an ip router?!
Old 31st August 2003, 22:13   #17
joejoejoe

can u go here to chat to me- it wil b quicker - www.bloodisland.com/chat.asp
Old 31st August 2003, 22:15   #18
djmastermind
Forum King

You will need to disable the WindowsXP firewall. Try searching the forums for something on disabling XP firewalls.

Not an IP router, a router that routes your Internet through the house, office, etc.. If you are in fact running on a router, you will need to forward ports.

-- Michael
Old 6th September 2003, 19:52   #19
fkradio

Quote:
Originally posted by jackherer
Windows media player doesn't play shoutcast stream very well and generally isn't associated with pls files. I suspect this is done on purpose by ms cos they want you to run windows media services and not shoutcast.

Just a quick piece of advice if you embed windows media player in a web page it will only play back the stream on peoples computers who have either windows media player vewrsion 8 or 9 installed. For the many people who have version 7 and below installed IT WILL NOT PLAY BACK THE STREAM. Microsoft only want you to play back windows media streams. I have found this out through bitter experiance. Just use the pls link and tell people to download winamp. It's small and plays back eveything.

Windows Media Player plays shoutcast streams perfectly fine on the 17 machines used here at Cyclone Communications.

You say that Media Player version 8 and 9 will play Shoutcast Streams, but version 7 will not. This is correct. You also say that Microsoft did this because they are intentionally trying to keep people from playing Shoutcast streams. Do you see the fundamental break down of logic here? If Microsoft didn't want people to play Shoutcast streams, why would they have added it after version 7?

<edited for undue rudeness --destro>

Destro T. Calavicci
Cyclone Communications
fkradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2003, 19:58   #20
fkradio

Quote:
Originally posted by jackherer
Windows media player doesn't play shoutcast stream very well and generally isn't associated with pls files. I suspect this is done on purpose by ms cos they want you to run windows media services and not shoutcast.

Windows Media Player plays shoutcast streams perfectly fine on the 17 machines used here at Cyclone Communications.

You say that Media Player version 8 and 9 will play Shoutcast Streams, but version 7 will not. This is correct. You also say that Microsoft did this because they are intentionally trying to keep people from playing Shoutcast streams. Do you see the fundamental break down of logic here? If Microsoft didn't want people to play Shoutcast streams, why would they have added it after version 7?

In the future, it might be wise to think critically about what you're posting prior to clicking "submit."

Destro T. Calavicci
Cyclone Communications
fkradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support