Old 8th February 2011, 04:28   #1
jupiters_lament

Server Setup Issues

In trying to set up a new server, I've had nothing but problems. I started with V2, but after trying to get that to work and failing, I tried reverting to an older version. While it solved one problem, it still doesn't work overall. Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I'd appreciate any help.

Something is clearly working, as the station will show up when searching shoutcast... but no one is able to get any audio.

http://www.shoutcast.com/Internet-Radio/PhilTunes

It even displays the song name playing.

No one can even connect directly to the server either.

Here is the server logfile:

And my config file

Please help someone who's been trying to get this working for two days and is way over his head.
Attached Files
File Type: log sc_serv.log (3.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: conf sc_serv.conf (1.2 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by dotme; 8th February 2011 at 20:21. Reason: Removed passwords
jupiters_lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 04:50   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

odd ... the .pls file is

[playlist]
numberofentries=0
Version=2

how queer - unless you're not streaming at the moment

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 05:42   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I noticed that you've got a warning message in the log indicating an invalid config option "on line 19". You're using an old version of the DNAS2 with the latest config builder. Shouldn't hurt it though as I've seen (I think) the DNAS will just ignore stuff it doesn't recognize. Your line 19 config option is "admincssfile" which is a new option only recently supported by the latest build of the DNAS.

Try installing the updated DNAS download from here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324877

What are you using as a source to the DNAS?
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 14:45   #4
jupiters_lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
I noticed that you've got a warning message in the log indicating an invalid config option "on line 19". You're using an old version of the DNAS2 with the latest config builder. Shouldn't hurt it though as I've seen (I think) the DNAS will just ignore stuff it doesn't recognize. Your line 19 config option is "admincssfile" which is a new option only recently supported by the latest build of the DNAS.

Try installing the updated DNAS download from here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324877

What are you using as a source to the DNAS?
I apologize if I misunderstand what you're saying (again... new at this) but I think I'm using Winamp as my source.

When I get home tonight I'll try installing that DNAS and report how it goes.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:27   #5
jupiters_lament

So I installed the new server, which runs from a different location given it's the 64-bit one. I updated my .conf file accordingly.

Now, it still doesn't work and also doesn't show up in the shoutcast listings at all.
Attached Files
File Type: conf sc_serv.conf (1.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: log sc_serv.log (3.6 KB, 132 views)
Old 9th February 2011, 03:03   #6
thinktink
Forum King

Ok, that is odd. Could be that the YP is just having difficulty at the moment but I'll go ahead with the premise it's not the cause.

Go back to the config builder, restore your config builder settings file (if you made one) and enable DNAS custom debug logging options. Then turn on the following debug logging options:
  • YP2 Debug
  • SHOUTcast Source Debug
  • UVOX2 Source Debug
  • Stream Data Debug

Then resave your DNAS config and also enable the logging options in the SHOUTcast2 DSP Source.

Run the DNAS and the source just as you did before and then attach your DNAS log and SHOUTcast DSP Source logs in your next post.
Old 9th February 2011, 03:59   #7
jupiters_lament

Quote:
Ok, that is odd. Could be that the YP is just having difficulty at the moment but I'll go ahead with the premise it's not the cause.

Go back to the config builder, restore your config builder settings file (if you made one) and enable DNAS custom debug logging options. Then turn on the following debug logging options:
  • YP2 Debug
  • SHOUTcast Source Debug
  • UVOX2 Source Debug
  • Stream Data Debug

Then resave your DNAS config and also enable the logging options in the SHOUTcast2 DSP Source.

Run the DNAS and the source just as you did before and then attach your DNAS log and SHOUTcast DSP Source logs in your next post.
I've included the log as an attachment because
a) It was giant
b) The board complained about me trying to attach 44 images or something.

Hope this means something to you, cause it's a whole other language to me.

Last edited by fc*uk; 9th February 2011 at 14:43. Reason: attached file removed at user's request.
Old 9th February 2011, 04:12   #8
thinktink
Forum King

I have the log file and I am reviewing it.
Old 9th February 2011, 04:25   #9
thinktink
Forum King

Something is odd. Can you attach screenshots of the SHOUTcast 2 Source DSP with the [Connection], [Yellowpages], and [Encoder] tabs selected and showing?
Old 9th February 2011, 04:37   #10
jupiters_lament

Quote:
Something is odd. Can you attach screenshots of the SHOUTcast 2 Source DSP with the [Connection], [Yellowpages], and [Encoder] tabs selected and showing?
Amazingly I learned my extent of photo editing software on this computer consists of paint... I guess when you just use it as an HTPC you don't install much.

Anyway, I attached the three panes you asked for. I really appreciate your help with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss1.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	48499   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss2.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	48500   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss3.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	48501  
Old 9th February 2011, 05:25   #11
thinktink
Forum King

k, I just ran a little experiment.

Try the following:
  1. Shutdown the DNAS completely
  2. Shutdown Winamp completely
  3. Shutdown your computer completely
  4. Remove power from router (if you have one) for 5 minutes.
  5. Turn everything back on and try again.
Old 9th February 2011, 22:13   #12
jupiters_lament

Tried doing all that... Still not working.
Old 10th February 2011, 01:53   #13
kristyhimura

Your IP Address isn't in the localhost area >> i think thats where it goes..if i'm not misstaken then again i'm pretty new to this aswell.
kristyhimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 02:05   #14
thinktink
Forum King

@kristyhimura: Oi, don't confuse the poor soul. lol I just copied and pasted their configuration file to my test server and replicated their DSP settings and I'm getting listed no problem. I don't think it's the OP's fault. At least not at the moment.

@jupiters_lament: I sent DrO a PM about your situation and CCd it to you so you know kinda what's going on. As I said in the PM this one has me stumped so I'm gonna see if DrO can't look into it for you or might be able to suggest something maybe I overlooked or forgot to ask. I dunno when he will be able respond as he's "across the pond" (I think) from me and has way more than his fair share of stuff on his plate to update but he's very good with PMs so shouldn't be a worry. Hopefully we'll be able to get this squared away for you soon.

[EDIT /]
In the meantime, double check to make sure you're using the latest SHOUTcast 2 Source DSP and the latest Winamp version.
Old 10th February 2011, 02:11   #15
jupiters_lament

Quote:
@kristyhimura: Oi, don't confuse the poor soul. lol I just copied and pasted their configuration file to my test server and replicated their DSP settings and I'm getting listed no problem. I don't think it's the OP's fault. At least not at the moment.

@jupiters_lament: I sent DrO a PM about your situation and CCd it to you so you know kinda what's going on. As I said in the PM this one has me stumped so I'm gonna see if DrO can't look into it for you or might be able to suggest something maybe I overlooked or forgot to ask. I dunno when he will be able respond as he's "across the pond" (I think) from me and has way more than his fair share of stuff on his plate to update but he's very good with PMs so shouldn't be a worry. Hopefully we'll be able to get this squared away for you soon.
I really appreciate the help. On one hand I'm kinda annoyed there's some weird reason this isn't working. On the other, I'm glad I'm not just incompetent.

Also worth noting (I don't know if this gives some insight or is a second problem altogether) but sometimes the station shows up (it won't work, but it'll show up).

But then it only displays the song title, but not the artist title. Additionally you can't search by the song title and find the station, just the station name.
Old 10th February 2011, 02:25   #16
thinktink
Forum King

Yup, I noticed that before as well. I dunno what it means though. lol
Old 10th February 2011, 03:51   #17
jupiters_lament

Well, this is interesting.

I created another station.

As you can see... it works fine.

Don't know what the problem is, but at least it's now streaming. Now to solve the Artist display and searching issues. Any suggestions?
Old 10th February 2011, 04:07   #18
thinktink
Forum King

Grats!

...and, that is odd.

What did you mean by "created another station"? Did you get a new auth-hash or did you do something else?
Old 10th February 2011, 04:09   #19
jupiters_lament

Quote:
Grats!

...and, that is odd.

What did you mean by "created another station"? Did you get a new auth-hash or did you do something else?
Yeah, I just got a new auth-hash. Now on to figuring out the tagging issues..
Old 10th February 2011, 04:32   #20
thinktink
Forum King

Well, grats. What gave you the idea to create a new station w/auth-hash?

I do believe you can safely delete the old auth-hash setup from your SHOUTcast account.
Old 10th February 2011, 04:38   #21
jupiters_lament

Quote:
Well, grats. What gave you the idea to create a new station w/auth-hash?

I do believe you can safely delete the old auth-hash setup from your SHOUTcast account.
Well, you said you used my settings with a different auth-hash and it worked fine, so I figured I'd try doing the same thing.

Still not working entirely, but at least my friends can listen even if they can't figure out what they're listening to yet.
Old 10th February 2011, 05:10   #22
thinktink
Forum King

Looks ok to me. It's showing the artist and title.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PhilTunesMetadataScreenshot.PNG
Views:	254
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	48505  
Old 10th February 2011, 08:40   #23
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
odd ... the .pls file is

[playlist]
numberofentries=0
Version=2

how queer
the main reason i've seen for that is if if 'Make my primary server private' is checked on the page for the stream auth. is the only thing which comes to mind especially if a new authhash was created and that works without issue...

other than that, without the server running to have a look at, i'm not sure what the talk about the titles is (unless there's a screenshot i've missed) i.e. is it just for what is listed on the YP listing or in a player, etc?

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 13:15   #24
jupiters_lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the main reason i've seen for that is if if 'Make my primary server private' is checked on the page for the stream auth. is the only thing which comes to mind especially if a new authhash was created and that works without issue...

other than that, without the server running to have a look at, i'm not sure what the talk about the titles is (unless there's a screenshot i've missed) i.e. is it just for what is listed on the YP listing or in a player, etc?

-daz
Two things weird are happening.

One, when you go to the Shoutcast station site and listen through it

http://www.shoutcast.com/shoutcast_p...&stn=PhilTunes

The Artist is correct, but rather than Song Title, it displays the album title with the last character dropped off for some reason.

The other thing is when the station shows up in the Shoutcast directory (It doesn't appear to be for me at the moment)

It displays the song title, but not the artist. In addition, nothing is searchable. So say I played Franz Ferdinand and searched for that artist, nothing would come up (nor if I search for song title, and evidently right now by station, though that one seems to come and go.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shoutcast.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	48506  
Old 10th February 2011, 22:30   #25
DrO

well i had a nice reply sorted and then the forum server died as i was posting it a few hours ago so i'll do the simple reply now.

i'm not sure what's preventing the stream from appearing in the YP listing or being searchable though could just be one of those weird YP issues but i'm not sure and not too much i can currently do to investigate it further other than keeping it logged. most likely because it's not listing the direct name of the stream, that's why it's not searchable otherwise.

the title issue is due to the DNAS providing titles to v1 clients (as the popup player behaves) as artist - album - title whereas from what i've seen and can tell, most v1 servers generally provide the title as artist - title which most likely the popup player has been hard-coded to work against. that would also explain the clipping of what is being shown for the title in the popup player.

am waiting on clarification on what is going to be done to resolve it - my preference is leaning to have it produce 'artist - title' in the next drop of the v2 DNAS.

-daz
Old 10th February 2011, 23:18   #26
jupiters_lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
well i had a nice reply sorted and then the forum server died as i was posting it a few hours ago so i'll do the simple reply now.

i'm not sure what's preventing the stream from appearing in the YP listing or being searchable though could just be one of those weird YP issues but i'm not sure and not too much i can currently do to investigate it further other than keeping it logged. most likely because it's not listing the direct name of the stream, that's why it's not searchable otherwise.

the title issue is due to the DNAS providing titles to v1 clients (as the popup player behaves) as artist - album - title whereas from what i've seen and can tell, most v1 servers generally provide the title as artist - title which most likely the popup player has been hard-coded to work against. that would also explain the clipping of what is being shown for the title in the popup player.

am waiting on clarification on what is going to be done to resolve it - my preference is leaning to have it produce 'artist - title' in the next drop of the v2 DNAS.

-daz
So for now just wait it out and there's nothing I can really do about it, it's not a problem of my computer?
Old 11th February 2011, 08:06   #27
DrO

the title issue is definitely not a problem from your end.

the YP listing issue i believe is not related to you though if it still happens with the next drop (coming out next week at the moment) then i think we'll need to try to escalate it as possibe.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support