Old 26th March 2014, 13:59   #1
jfmac

Upgrade/FLAC

I have WinAmp v.5.63(x86)

2 questions;
A) If I upgrade to 5.66, do my playlists stay in place, or will I need to redo all of them? I have quite a few.

B) I've been reading about FLAC. If I go to FLAC will WinAmp play these files, or will need to re-convert to MP3?

Thanks for the help. WinAmp works well for me.
jfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 14:04   #2
DrO

a) as far as you would know, yes (like is the case with all upgrades unless otherwise noted). internally the folder the Winamp managed copies was moved to make it easier to backup that folder specifically (though you can use the original playlist as of v5.66x instead of a Winamp managed copy when importing playlists), but that's an implementation detail and as far as the UI is concerned, there is no difference.

b) Winamp has had native FLAC playback for years.

and you should make sure when you update to install v5.666 build 3516 and to apply the dll patches from
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

p.s. it's Winamp, not WinAmp (which hasn't existed as a product name for well over a decade).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 14:30   #3
jfmac

Thanks. I also figured out how to save my playlists so if I upgrade and my lists DO die I can at least retrieve them.

Most of the dll patched apply to issues I NEVER do anyway. I use Wiamp (notice the correction) to play music and occasional videos. I aslos broadcast to the internet some.
Speaking of which, when/if I upgrade, I will need to add the ShoutCast patch again, will I not?
Old 26th March 2014, 14:43   #4
DrO

if the playlists disappear then something seriously went wrong with the upgrade and is not the norm, hence you should use the backup tool (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153) if in doubt.

the dll updates are required to ensure a stable Winamp install as there is no way of knowing if the files you have will trigger the crash issues which those dlls resolve. we're not just saying those dlls need to be patched for fun, it's for a realistic fix of known issues found past the last AOL provided build was released (as v5.666 build 3516 is).

if you already have the SHOUTcast view, then it will remain as an available option.

other than updating the 2 dlls once the installer has been run, it's just a straight forward and much recommended Winamp update to install as there's a massive number of bugs and issues resolved between the 5.63 and final 5.666 release.
Old 26th March 2014, 14:59   #5
jfmac

Will the 2 dlls be auto asked if I want them or will I need to look for them?

Thanks

I have my lists saved to my external HD now
Old 26th March 2014, 15:01   #6
DrO

you need to install the dlls yourself, hence the link i provided to the thread which has links / instructions to the downloads.
Old 26th March 2014, 15:30   #7
jfmac

Cool. I'm pretty happy with what I have (5.63) is that an issue?
Old 26th March 2014, 15:44   #8
DrO

it depends how much you like using old and unsupported versions of Winamp - the wording of your post seems to imply you're not interested in updating anyway (which then makes it pointless to maintain a dev team...).

as there's a mass of changes and quite important fixes (including a few security fixes) as per everything detailed in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373755 (first 2 posts) just for the 5.66x release and http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=367001 for the 5.64/5.65 releases i.e. a hell of a lot of old issues and optimisations have been made which make the current build (with those dll patches) about as good as Winamp has been for stability and memory usage in years.

so is up to you now what you do, isn't anything else i can say / do.
Old 26th March 2014, 16:00   #9
jfmac

My issue with updating is that new updates always have bugs (see Windows-2000, Vista, et al) I updated to the version I have now. I AM cautious to a fault, however.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I will update but I want to be sure everything works, as I have been burned before with updating software.

It's not a dis of you.
Old 30th March 2014, 05:15   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
imo, the latest version is a huge improvement and suffers no serious bugs, save for the known issues he already told you about.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support