Old 26th September 2012, 20:47   #1
MrKnobs

Why is there no "soundcard input" option in Shoutcast now?

There used to be one on older versions, but now there's just "Line In" and "Microphone." I want to stream up music generated on my computer (a mix of prerecorded .wav file and live performance) but as that's neither coming in through the microphone nor Line Input, nor can be played by WinAmp I'm kind of at a loss.

Is this a change in Shoutcast? An earlier version I have on another computer has the Soundcard Input option in the INPUT tab, Input Device section of Shoutcast but version 2.2.3 does not.

I'm running XP SP3 on a PC using the sound chipset on the motherboard. I have WinAmp v 5.6.1 and Shoutcast 2.2.3.

Any advice appreciated and much karma provided in return.

Terry D.
MrKnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 21:53   #2
DrO

i assume you're referring to http://devupload.winamp.com/w/images...card_input.png ? (as taken from http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/Source_D...g-in#Input_Tab)

the functionality has not been removed from the Source DSP (and as you're using XP it should still work like the v1 Source DSP did), just things were moved around a bit on the v2 preferences so you need to select the soundcard option from the selector at the top of the input tab.

also the current version of the Source DSP is v2.3.1 and the current Winamp version is 5.63 at the time of this post (as officially we can only support the current versions).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:40   #3
MrKnobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
Yep, that's what I'm looking at.

Quote:
the functionality has not been removed from the Source DSP (and as you're using XP it should still work like the v1 Source DSP did), just things were moved around a bit on the v2 preferences so you need to select the soundcard option from the selector at the top of the input tab.
There's no soundcard option in that menu, only microphone or Line In (both legacy).

Quote:
also the current version of the Source DSP is v2.3.1 and the current Winamp version is 5.63 at the time of this post (as officially we can only support the current versions).

-daz
I shall upgrade both and get back to this thread. Maybe that's the problem.

Thank you.

Terry D.
Old 27th September 2012, 10:41   #4
DrO

those are the soundcard options and what is on there is all that was present on the older v1 DSP (as i have to assume is what you're referring to on the older version you're using)- might help to provide a screenshot of the DSP on that setup to determine what is being used.

if it doesn't work still or offer what you want or believe it should do then there's not too much i can suggest or do as the XP version has only done mic or line-in to my knowledge.

-daz
Old 11th October 2012, 17:57   #5
MrKnobs

Quote:
those are the soundcard options and what is on there is all that was present on the older v1 DSP (as i have to assume is what you're referring to on the older version you're using)- might help to provide a screenshot of the DSP on that setup to determine what is being used.

if it doesn't work still or offer what you want or believe it should do then there's not too much i can suggest or do as the XP version has only done mic or line-in to my knowledge.

-daz
On my laptop I have an older version of WinAmp with the shoutcast plug that has three options for input: Winamp, Line In, and Soundcard input.

Why is that important to me? I'd like everything I hear on my PC speakers to stream up (i.e. output from several programs that's being mixed) and Soundcard Input did that.

What exactly does the Line In (legacy) option do? Does it use the input from the line in jack on the back of the computer as one might think from the name?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Terry D.
Old 11th October 2012, 19:27   #6
MrKnobs

OK, a little more specific update on this, and some progress.

First, I'm using the latest winamp and shoutcast, versions 5.6.1 and 2.3.1 respectively.

Here's the situation:

If I play a 44.1kHz stereo .wav file, 16 bit using Winamp and set Shoutcast to Winamp input everything works fine. Streams up just fine sounds fine up there. All good.

But.. if I play the exact same file in Windows Media Player with Shoutcast set to Line in (legacy), 44.1 stereo, I get good level bars in the Shoutcast input tab and on the summary window which also indicates "active input device" soundcard. Looks perfect, should work.

If I press Open Mixer on Shoutcast, it opens the windows recording control and volume control boxes. If I select Stereo Mix in the recording control window the music levels are there in Shoutcast, just as they should be. If I select Line IN they stop, just as they should. So far so good.

But now if I press connect on Shoutcast, something is wrong as the numbers go up very slowly, there is no audio heard "upstairs" on the stream, except the occasional burst of static. I've changed nothing in the shoutcast settings except to choose line in legacy instead of winamp, same music file being played.

I checked to make sure the allow 24 bit box is unchecked in WinAmp as that caused me similar problems in the past.

Any ideas? And sincere thanks, I know it's tough to debug something over the internet in text. Screen caps if you want them.

Terry D.
Old 14th October 2012, 09:54   #7
jezwells

Hi

I upgraded to winamp 5.63 and shoutcast 2.3.1 yesterday and experienced exactly the same problem: broadcasting via winamp output, but no audio and very slow upload rate when switching to soundcard input. I'm running XP, all has worked fine before in earlier versions.

Any advice gratefully received

ta!
jezwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 09:57   #8
jezwells

in the meantime, is there an earlier version of shoutcast I can download?

thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 13:35   #9
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I'm seeing that as well.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 14:31   #10
DrO

it was noted in the Source DSP thread almost 2 weeks ago that soundcard capture is not working in the v2.3.x builds and to revert to 2.2.3 if the soundcard capture is an absolute must for your stream. and the link to the older version is referenced in the prior thread in the same release thread (i won't directly post the link as then people keep using the old version even once a new one has been released to fix things).

-daz
Old 15th October 2012, 18:15   #11
jezwells

OK, thanks. I did have hunt around to see if anyone had experienced the issue but didn't see that posting.

I'll pass on to the rest of the shoutcast users at my station.

cheers
Old 18th October 2012, 19:39   #12
MrKnobs

Quote:
it was noted in the Source DSP thread almost 2 weeks ago that soundcard capture is not working in the v2.3.x builds and to revert to 2.2.3 if the soundcard capture is an absolute must for your stream. and the link to the older version is referenced in the prior thread in the same release thread (i won't directly post the link as then people keep using the old version even once a new one has been released to fix things).

-daz
Given that it seems that quite a few people are experiencing this issue, might this warrant a sticky?

I've been using the search feature to find the thread you're talking about without much luck. This is kinda important to my business so I just installed BUTT (Broadcast Using This Tool) until you guys get around to fixing the bug in Shoutcast.

Sincere thanks for helping.

Terry D.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:32   #13
DrO

no one reads the stickies so yes maybe there should be something but the known section of the discussion threads for the releases is the same as a sticky and as is seen in all of the threads, those are ignored as well.

the official recommendation is to use 2.2.3 if you rely on soundcard input if you're using the DSP. if you want to use a 3rd party solution then i'm not going to stop you (though i thought BUTT was no longer being developed unless something has changed).

either way, the Source DSP will be fixed but my priority is resolving YP issues at the moment as that has a far larger impact on things than 5 people who've reported the soundcard input issue with the v2.3.x releases (i am mentioning that so it is clear that i'm not ignoring it but there are only so many hours in the day).

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
input, shoutcast, soundcard