Old 30th May 2007, 21:21   #1
JackStudly

Why MP3pro is such a great idea...

MP3pro has fantastic potential - despite what the "naysayers" here have been shoutcasting - & here's why:

1) You can play an MP3pro file with an MP3 player - BUT YOU LOSE the upper octaves without a genuine MP3pro-playback-codec. This AT LEAST lets your MP3 audience get to your announcement that points them to the MP3pro plugin for Winamp. Once they have that - Wallah - Upper Octaves restored.
2) MP3pro allows you to double (or more) your listener base because each stream takes half (or less) of the bandwidth. Say "Double".
3) Some people don't shoutcast music. MP3pro really begins to shine when you're coding speech. It allows amazing compression! Once again, if you think ahead, you can aleart your MP3 listeners that they're only hearing half the signal without the "pro" codec installed. At least they'll HEAR THE ANNOUNCEMENT, right. If you're using AAC & they can't hear you at all -- it's unlikely that they're gonna know what to do. And, - if it's speech you're coding -- lots of people will bite the bullet & go without the top octaves with their MP3-player IF your content is interesting enough! Once they LOVE YOU (& I'm sure they will ;-), they'll hop on board with Winamp & the MP3pro plugin (which runs just fine on my computer).

Thanks for reading...

Quote:
Originally posted by I AM ELECTRO
hey mp3 pro is very promising and I got the decoder but I would love to be able to convert my files. please make a plugin someone?
JackStudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 22:06   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

1) Except that that plugin is horribly buggy and outdated. Do your announcements also tell them they'll lose lots of features if they install that pos?
2) BS (at least for music and tolerable quality). Maybe you'll save 25%, and with aacPlus you'd always save more.
3) If they use Winamp they can hear aacPlus out of the box, if they don't do you think they'll switch players and install an additional plugin?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 22:17   #3
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
MP3Pro is dead, move on. Hell, the plugin is so buggy the Winamp installer now detects it and removes it.

It's almost the equivalent of malware for Winamp.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 03:30   #4
Greg_E
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
3)... if they don't do you think they'll switch players and install an additional plugin?

Absolutely not! We have that same problem with AAC+.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 05:53   #5
NJK
FRISIAN

welcome to 2007

where have you been for the last 5 years??

oh you missed it
well lets bring you up to speed...

it's 2007 and MP3Pro has been dead for over years
infact it almost was DOA.
It's AAC+ nowdays
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 11:07   #6
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_E
Absolutely not! We have that same problem with AAC+.
No you don't. Not since ~Winamp 5.1 (not sure which exact version it was since it's been quite a while since aacPlus playback support was added.)
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 15:18   #7
Greg_E
Major Dude

The people trying to listen to our stream are too stupid/scared/running on Macs to download Winamp, or the Orban WMP plug-in. If they are running a Mac they are either sharp enough to use VLC, or to dim to do anything. If itunes and WMP won't play it natively, they are LOST.

Welcome to the general population...

Your mileage may vary!
Old 31st May 2007, 18:49   #8
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

so offer two streams. mp3pro to your itunes and windows media player public where either the plugin doesnt suck a ball or its just going to degrade the quality and sound like ass.

and a far superior aacplus stream to those using winamp.

MP3Pro is dead.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 16:16   #9
Greg_E
Major Dude

Yeah, that's what we will probably have to do. But first I need to find an encoder that will take the song title and artist info from our playout computer and put it in the stream. That is a requirement in the USA. If I can do that, then I'll put up a 32K mono stream. That's also assuming that our IT department can ever manage to put up a web page for us!?! We've been ready to go since October last year, finally got the port assignments and path forwarded in January, and still waiting for a web page?????????

Obviously our streams are not important to the rest of the college. Or really to the instructor since he completely blocked doing anything about the license fee promotions/PSAs that many other streams are doing, but that is a whole different sore spot.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 2nd June 2007, 04:57   #10
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Personally I would prefer to just make my regular mp3 stream mono before I would use mp3Pro. Where did this come from?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions