Old 4th February 2005, 20:24   #1
FrozenSteel

Software Error

Hi, I just started using Winamp 5.0.7 and I keep getting the "Dreaded Bluescreen" whenever I use winamp for about 3-5 min. The Bluescreen Says "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area." I'v tracked the error down to this program and wondering why I would be getting that error from the program... Is it a program glitch? Has anyone else gotten it? Is there a higher version that corrects this error?

Tech Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
1 Gig Mushkin Duel Pack in Dual Channel
80 Gig Hitachi SATA Harddrive
BFG 6800 OC 128 MB Card
Windows XP (2002 version) with SP1
FrozenSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 00:18   #2
FrozenSteel

Does anyone have an answer?
Old 5th February 2005, 00:35   #3
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
search google for the answer...

i searched "nonpaged_area" and came up with this page http://forum.pcmech.com/archive/index.php/t-39542.html...im sure there are more answers out on google.

he says its a faulty memory issue. someone also mentioned they found it on microsoft. so i suggest looking there.

Q: are you playing music files or video files? (what type?)
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 00:37   #4
JonnyMac

Also, stop messages (BSODs) in WinXP can be a sign of faulty drivers. Go to the website of your computer provider/manufacturer for driver updates. Also, you may want to consider installing Service Pack 2 for WinXP.

Other than that, you do have an older version of Winamp the current version (as of this reply) is 5.08d. Only the most current version of Winamp receives tech support. Try a updating with a full uninstall > reinstall of Winamp. However, that is not to say your current version is the cause of the issue.

Also, please note that the members and moderators volunteer their time to provide tech support. A reply may take from a few minutes up to a day or so. Patience is a virtue.

Good Luck

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 01:17   #5
FrozenSteel

Nope, Winamps causing it, I ran the music for Hours in windows media player and all the drivers worked fine. Once I use winamp, I get the error message 3-5 mins later... This is all winamp... Whats wrong...

BTW, Isn't a memory issue because I used google search and it said it could either be a driver/app, Not hardware related at all. Everything works fine, even windows media player playing Video/Audio. Is there someway I can report this to winamp development team?

Btw, I'm going to upgrade to 5.0.8 and see what happens

And also, Sorry, I didn't really know how fast these forums were... I'll let it go a day or so before saying something
Old 5th February 2005, 02:05   #6
JonnyMac

Not likely. If Winamp is causing this problem it would be a reproducible issue by other users. Note what peter says (from this old thread of the Winamp3 days)...
Quote:
i wouldn't consider this a Winamp bug. Winamp code itself can't cause a BSOD, it's technically impossible
peter was one of the developers at Winamp, before he moved on to develop he own media player. So you are getting it straight from the horses llamas mouth.

Anyways, the forums are visited by the developers. So, in a manner of speaking, you have "contacted" the developers. However, most of them have moved on to bigger and better things. But don't worry, Winamp is still going strong and Nullsoft (Winamp) is hiring.

As a FYI you may want to see the following
Miscrsoft.com: Stop Message - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Old 5th February 2005, 12:59   #7
FrozenSteel

Like I said, I only get this error with winamp... I'v had this computer for a month and it was working just fine. I run winamp for 3-5 mins. and I get my first bluescreen. I goto windows media player and play the music and I can do it for hours and hours till I have to turn it off... So windows media player can do it just fine, but when winamp plays the music, it gives me errors... Might be a corrupt installtion file in winamp... I'm going to install winamp 5.0.8 and see what happens. But like I said, The music works fine on wmp but winamp gives me problems

Edit: Just upgraded to winamp 5.0.8 and It's gotten worse... Now I get it within 1-2 mins ... If WMP works, shouldn't winamp work? Thats why I think winamps the problem

Last edited by FrozenSteel; 5th February 2005 at 13:20.
Old 5th February 2005, 19:54   #8
JonnyMac

Not to doubt your word, but all I can tell you is the knowledge and experience that I have gained with helping at the Winamp Forums (and otherwise) say that stop messages (in WinXP) are generally driver or hardware related.

A couple of suggestions though, try the DirectSound tweaks. Close down and restart the computer after making the DirectSound tweaks. Also, it is suggested not to install Winamp on a limited/multi user account.

Would you at least consider updating the sound drivers? If you have a soundcard go the manufacturer's website for updates. If you have an on board sound chip, go to the website of your computer provider or the manufacturer of the mother board. Close down and restart the computer after installing the updated drivers.

Sorry if I missed it in you specs, what is your soundcard. Also, are you over-clocking? If so, is it possible to run Winamp in "normal" mode to see what happens?

Still not luck? On the chance it might be something else, please post a HijackThis log.
Download HjT from the link. After downloading unzip it and HjT should be ready to run. Run HjT and press the 'Scan' button. After scanning the button will change to a 'Save log' button. Save the report as a text file by giving it a txt extension instead of log. Example: HijackThis.txt. Please do not use the 'fix' button. Then attach the HjT log with your next reply.
It may be a little while before one of us has a chance to evaluate the HjT log and make the proper recommendations.

If anyone else would like to offer their suggestions/recommendations, please feel free.
Old 5th February 2005, 20:16   #9
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyMac
Not to doubt your word, but all I can tell you is the knowledge and experience that I have gained with helping at the Winamp Forums (and otherwise) say that stop messages (in WinXP) are generally driver or hardware related.
And Microsoft says the same, as can be read on the page JonnyMac linked to.

Dunno, but maybe this post by DJ Egg will be of use:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....77#post1227177
There's a link to do a memory test and some other suggestions you could try (some of them already mentioned by JonnyMac).

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2005, 21:05   #10
JonnyMac

Thanks for the input siebe. I forgot about DJ's link.

BTW - Your avatar is starting to freak me out.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 5th February 2005, 22:18   #11
siebe83
Forum King

Heh, don't stare back for too long or you'll start looking the same

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 05:23   #12
martch

just for u know i´m having the same problem with difference that i can listen music about 50 mins, and then this "STOP error of death"
martch is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support