Old 22nd September 2014, 13:40   #1
WizardX

feature request: referring website / referral

I'd like to know not only the listeners ip address but also its referral.

For instance our streams are embedded on different websites that are not maintained by ourselves. I'd like to know which websites are embedding us.

Yet I don't know if there's some option included in the DNAS, if not it might be a nice feature for any upcoming release.
WizardX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:53   #2
DrO

you're assuming that a referrer field is even being provided on the client connection made to the DNAS. as without something like that, even if the DNAS was updated to show it, without that then there's generally no way to know the information you're looking for.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:12   #3
WizardX

Isn't that provided by the browser then? I can imagine players like winamp won't but browsers with for instance jplayer or other html5 audio element do, don't they?
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:17   #4
DrO

without checking i really don't know, but i suspect in that case it can depend on how the client player is instigated and implemented as to whether it'd provide the information anyway. as i suspect it won't be provided in a number of cases based on some things i've seen previously when debugging site based client players.
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:50   #5
WizardX

hmmm pity
Old 23rd September 2014, 04:53   #6
aron9forever

you should probably look into the player you use on those websites
if you create your own player it can track listener's pages and feed them somewhere
aron9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 02:47   #7
DrO

i've added a "referer" field for the listener responses (am not showing it on the admin pages themselves as it'll just clutter things too much especially with the addition of "x-forwarded-for" as an "xff" field in the response).

it'll be in the next DNAS release so will be a sort of mini-experiment to see how often it occurs (as i've seen it with some of the browsers / web clients tried don't haven't seen it from dedicated players but ymmv).
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions