Old 13th November 2014, 21:46   #1
MadJack

FINALLY switched to SC v2

Recently I read a post where Dr. No mentioned the pain that SC v1 can be when working things out. This led me to a wee bit of guilt as these guys have done a flippin fantastic job of providing the world with the best internet music experience. So I got the latest DNAS and DSP. It's been up for a day. I hate change, but this isn't so bad. If you haven't, you should switch.

I do have one question/ hope/ request for the Radionamy wizards... Is there any way Sc v2 can provide streamed on demand files as v1 did? Right now I'm running a v1 server off the v2 DSP for some AOD files, but it would be nice if I could consolidate. Minor nuisance, I admit.

BIG thank you to Radionamy and the folks who do the work for this thing we love so much. I'm giddy in anticipation for the future of Winamp. Been an loyal Winamp and SHOUTcast user since 2002. Damn good stuff!
Old 13th November 2014, 22:09   #2
DrO

the OD support was intentionally removed in 2.0 as there's better options for doing such things than the hacks the 1.x DNAS did to provide the functionality. i don't think it'll see a return in newer 2.x releases.
Old 18th November 2014, 03:47   #3
MadJack

HA! SC v1 has been very good to me! Thanks Doc!
Old 18th November 2014, 16:00   #4
DrO

just had a thought about this while working on a few things for the fallback file handling.

as coming changes will allow for the fallback file to be provided when there is no source connected (unlike currently where its only used when the stream was already started).

as that new behaviour would in a hackish way act like the 1.x OD feature, only thing is that it'd just loop repeatedly when there is no source which I don't think the 1.x mode would do...correct? and I guess with a custom streampath / mountpoint you could have an equivalent /content/ url as needed.

obviously its a hack of the intended functionality but it might be ok for low usage requirements.
Old 19th November 2014, 18:56   #5
MadJack

W7 just sent me an update and I had to restart my server. Upon restarting the SC v2 server will not load. I click it, run as an admin, and there's a flash... and it's gone. Any ideas?
Old 19th November 2014, 19:04   #6
DrO

run it directly in the command-line instead of via a shortcut / double-clicking so you can see what it's doing. or look at the sc_serv.log generated (assuming it is).
Old 19th November 2014, 19:33   #7
MadJack

Does not recognize it. This is the third time I have had this happen, where SC v2 crashed before it loads. Reinstalling it is the only option that works.
Old 19th November 2014, 19:40   #8
MadJack

Forget it. Back V1. Something I can count on.
Old 19th November 2014, 20:15   #9
DrO

does not recognise what ? i need information as if you say it keeps happening (but haven't mentioned it before), then if it's our fault (though i'm struggling to work out what with no information) we need to fix it and if something else is possibly corrupting the DNAS program file (as you seem to be describing) then that's not the DNAS's fault but the cause needs to be tracked down and i wouldn't be surprised if it could happen to a 1.x setup as well.

and i know you've never wanted to update to the 2.x DNAS but the reality is that 1.x is dead and there are things coming which demote the 1.x DNAS in the SHOUTcast ecosystem even further than has already been started on. hence why if there is something wrong, we need to work out and resolve it or determine what A/V software, etc is intentionally wrecking the program file.
Old 20th November 2014, 02:22   #10
MadJack

SC v1 is not dead as it works and is reliable. I can count on SC v1. Sc v2 is three times the work for less product. When Sc v2 is as reliable as 1, I'll switch. Right now I've been given a PD position at my job and a baby is on the way. No time or energy. The last thing I need is to tinker with beta software. I'm too old and my station is a non profit one anyway. I only do it because I love it. Sc v1 until it's literally defunct.

I don't know what info you need. And I don't have the time to re-re-reread through the wiki to look for a step I may or may not have missed. SC v1 is a work of art. Buy American.
Old 20th November 2014, 03:02   #11
Bryon Stout

lol.. Merica
Old 20th November 2014, 04:05   #12
DrO

well there's no point in my pursuing things further with any issues raised in this thread as clearly it's just going to get further xenophobic comments. and there i was willingly looking to add support for a feature you wanted back which those good ol' Americans intentionally removed - fool is me!

so do please continue to use the 1.x DNAS with its un-patched security issues and it's lack of true compatibility with modern client streaming requirements as that is clearly the better option for you and your view on things. plus you obviously won't be needing any form of support assistance going forward as you'll never have an issue with a 1.x setup.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Tags
audio on demand