Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 4th May 2011, 16:27   #41
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
v2.2.1 is now available via the direct download link in the DSP release thread.
i've also moved DigiBC's posts into this thread from the DSP release thread.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 05:36   #42
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,801
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
DrO,

thx for the informative answers. couple of follow ups... why can't i do an AAC encoded stream using the dsp and winamp lite?

also, you say "when registrations are being accepted" ...so does that mean v2 DNAS won't work or list on YP without registration? i don't understand what registration is?

i don't plan to make changes to my stations 3 streams, they run reliably as is (altho i do update winamp and the dsp, and use the last v1 dnas).

however, my station is considering setting up a headless machine that would be self contained. the idea is that winamp itself would locally load 50k+ songs and put it on a pure shuffle play, of mostly mp3s but some flacs and other formats too, all replaygained. (i assume RG when applied on playback would work as it would be applied prior to the dsp, yes?)

my plan is to use that as a test platform to learn v2 DNAS. but i have some questions. with v2, can i setup an "initial" static mp3 that will play prior to connecting to the random play, the way you can on v1?

also, is there any way you know of, so that in such a situation as i laid out above, on every 2nd or 3rd song, winamp would insert into the playlist a station "liner" or ID? to illustrate what i mean, imagine someone clicks the link to listen, i'd see it working like this:

1. the static mp3 "welcome to the station" is played
2. they are then connected to whatever is currently being played
3. it could be in the middle of pink floyd
4. then a beatles song
5. then a SRV song
6. then a liner ID
7. song
8. song
9. song
10. different liner ID
11. song
...etc...

?

that would be a very simple form of radio station-like automation. you have a pool of 10 or 20 IDs, and they get inserted into the random mix of a much bigger pool of songs.

is that possible?

and finally, if i want to do one AAC stream, and one mp3 stream, of the same winamp provided random mix as i've described above, do i need SCTRANS or can i get by with just winamp+dsp+v2 dnas? i'm assuming when winamp plays a flac, the dsp encodes it to mp3 or AAC and doesn't need sctrans for that.

thx again for your incredible amount of coding on this SC stuff, and your informative answers.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 10:01   #43
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
why can't i do an AAC encoded stream using the dsp and winamp lite?
that would be from enc_aacplus.dll not being shipped in the lite installer from what i remember. this is also the other aspect of moving the DSP over to enc_lame where i've my doubts, but re-shipping the dll is then back to the same situation or even worse going back to the evil that was the 1.9.x installer which kept replacing enc_aacplus.dll from Winamp 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
also, you say "when registrations are being accepted" ...so does that mean v2 DNAS won't work or list on YP without registration? i don't understand what registration is?
the registrations is basically getting an authhash for the stream. at the moment the page which was provided for doing this has been disabled due to backend changes about a month ago but a newer 'api' is what i'm working on to be able to create / manage an authhash. it's still possible to use a v2 DNAS without an authhash by running it in yp1 mode (setting yp2=0 in the config) but then it forces the v2 DNAS to be in a restricted mode making it act like the v1 DNAS in most aspects i.e. single stream support, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
however, my station is considering setting up a headless machine that would be self contained. the idea is that winamp itself would locally load 50k+ songs and put it on a pure shuffle play, of mostly mp3s but some flacs and other formats too, all replaygained. (i assume RG when applied on playback would work as it would be applied prior to the dsp, yes?)
replaygain should be done prior to the DSP stage from what i remember as all of the api is done on the input plug-in (would have to check that out at some point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
with v2, can i setup an "initial" static mp3 that will play prior to connecting to the random play, the way you can on v1?
there is support for an intro file which i assume is what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
also, is there any way you know of, so that in such a situation as i laid out above, on every 2nd or 3rd song, winamp would insert into the playlist a station "liner" or ID? to illustrate what i mean, imagine someone clicks the link to listen, i'd see it working like this:

1. the static mp3 "welcome to the station" is played
2. they are then connected to whatever is currently being played
3. it could be in the middle of pink floyd
4. then a beatles song
5. then a SRV song
6. then a liner ID
7. song
8. song
9. song
10. different liner ID
11. song
...etc...
i'm not quite sure what you mean by 'liner' or is that some sort of jingle or just a title update? if it's basically a jingle then you'd probably need a Winamp plug-in or something to control the playlist which will insert it into the playback as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
if i want to do one AAC stream, and one mp3 stream, of the same winamp provided random mix as i've described above, do i need SCTRANS or can i get by with just winamp+dsp+v2 dnas? i'm assuming when winamp plays a flac, the dsp encodes it to mp3 or AAC and doesn't need sctrans for that.
you'd just need to run two active encoders in the DSP to do that and wouldn't require sc_trans in that instance. sc_trans is basically a source like the Winamp + DSP configuration (like is shown in examples 2 and 3 at http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcast_System_Overview). so if you wanted to then you could use sc_trans but if you're already heavily Winamp-centric in use and it's working then probably there is no need to move to something else, the only real benefit i can see of sc_trans for what you're thinking off doing is for the liner / jingle aspect where the sc_trans calendar system can be used to control when one is added but that otherwise should be able to be worked around in Winamp anyway.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump