Old 21st October 2005, 23:09   #1
penguinrusty

Send a message via AIM to penguinrusty Send a message via Yahoo to penguinrusty
Where does winamp store the music files?

I just bought a Creative Nomad Zen Extra mp3 player. The player is great, but the software sucks. I previously had all of my music stored in iTunes, before my computer had a seizure and wouldn't let my use itunes anymore. So, I went back to good 'ol winamp. Now, I want to transfer my files from winamp to the Creative Media Source organizer. But, to do this, I need to know where WInamp saves the audio files. Does anyone know the default filepath? I had tried going back to my old iTunes music folders and taking the music from there, but it said that the stupid creative software wouldn't accept that format. If I imported all of my winamp music from my itunes folder, wouldn't it be in winamp format now? So, technically, I could import music from my winamp folder to the creative software, right?
penguinrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 10:26   #2
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Ok, Winamp does not have it's own file format. Winamp will play the files from where ever they are stored, it does not move them. You should know where thas is. If you don't, play a file in Winamp and then right click on the entry in the playlist and then coose "View file info". When the new dialogue box appears there will be a wide box with the location of the file in. That will tell you where it is.

So we're sure:
Right click on playlist entry -> select "View file info (Alt + 3)" -> Look in box labeled "File:"

Once you have found your music just use windows explorer to copy and paste the files onto your portable music device.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 22:00   #3
penguinrusty

Sweet! Thanks a lot. But, the only problem is, my mp3 player doesn't support AAC files...Does anyone know of a good, free AAC to WMA or MP3 converter? I did a search, but all the ones that I've found are ones you have to buy.
Old 23rd October 2005, 10:14   #4
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
The Winamp Transcoder will convert the AACs to any other format that you have an encoder for. It uses the CD ripping encoders so make sure you have them installed.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 22:35   #5
penguinrusty

Awesome. Thanks for the help!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support