Old 19th June 2006, 02:18   #1
acapdir

"Can't open decoder" in W98 with v5.23

All day yesterday & today, I've searched, read and tried w/o joy. I've put wnaspi32.dll, an old one, a new one & the Nero big one, everywhere I can put it. I've clean installed several times, including removing the registration number before the uninstall so I have to reinter it. I've cleaned the windows registers between installs. I get the same results in all rip formats ["Error ripping track...."] whether I modify settings or try as is after a clean install. I've downloaded a fresh copy of the install file. And I'm getting the same results on my desktop W98 computer as well. I would certainly appreciated some advice on what do next.
Attached Files
File Type: zip requested info.zip (9.6 KB, 263 views)
acapdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 19:29   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

it doesn't really make sense why your using windows 98(with a machine with 1 gig of ram and 2ghz cpu)..

wnaspi32.dll will only work with windows NT/2k/xp

look here for info about an aspi driver for windows 98
http://www.nu2.nu/aspi/
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 20:08   #3
acapdir

Thank you for your response.
Running aspichk shows APIXD V4.71.2 and WINASPI32.DLL V4.71.2 are running for WINDOWS 98.
Old 25th June 2006, 00:50   #4
ujay
Forum King

You may not have a correct install, ASPI for Win9X should show 4 files.

ASPI 4.6 is generally advised for Win9X machines. The easiest way to install is with a program called ForceASPI 1.7 http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...ls/frcaspi.cfm

It comes with an HTML doc that gives full instructions and suggested installation method.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 03:20   #5
acapdir

Thanks for the advice. I had read on the net the aspi 4.72 was the last to support w98 but several sites said that 4.71.2 was the last reliable. I uninstalled and cleared the .ini files for winamp's full reinstall. I followed the instructions for ForceASPI, rebooted and ran aspichk and found the four files all with the 4.6 number, installed winamp v5.24 and got the same error when I tried to rip. Don't know if it's useful but, during the wait time for help I installed versions 5.03, .07, .08e, .092, .094, .1, .111 & .21. All ripped just fine [5.1 was fastest]. v5.23 & 5.24 failed to rip. I will restore my aspi to the 4.71.2 I got from adaptec and hope for more advice. Thanks again.
Old 25th June 2006, 03:54   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The Sonic Engine is broken under Win9x in 5.23/24, so you need to uncheck "use sonic" in Winamp > Prefs > CD Ripping > Ripping tab for it to use aspi instead.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 07:44   #7
acapdir

Thanks for a definitive answer. I guess I'm just out of luck as this is pretty much were I started. I still had the ASPI 4.6 installed when I got your msg so I tried it with sonic turned off. No soap. I did the clean install again after I reinstalled the ASPI 4.71.2, still the same error [in both instances I tried w/o and then with .dll file copied to the winamp directory]. I hope the sonic engine will work with w98 in some future release; until then I guess I have to run v5.1. I'm sure if Rocker thinks about it, he'll be able to think of legacy situations that dictate the OS. I cannot use my XP machines for ripping. [I still have to run w95 to serve 21 CD-ROMS.] Thanks to all of you for your help.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support