Old 18th June 2001, 04:41   #1
bschuler

Will the media library allow this? Since it's not working yet, I don't know....
---------------------------------
1. Could you add in or PLUGIN MAKERS try for this:

Ability to click a file in playlist and enque it! Such as a playlist could have 100 songs in it, but played in a different order then as listed (I mean, what is alphabetize list for then? Who the heck listens to songs in alphabetical order?), songs would be listed as such, just a crude example:

Song title Playlist order
1. Song A
2. Song B 4
3. Song C 2
4. Song D 1
5. Song E 5
6. Song F 3

Whereas, winamp would play song D,C,F,B,E in that order and yet not mess up the alphabetized list. A button to clear just the playlist order then would be nice as well....

OR
Simple and ugly, Two playlists, one with all songs listed, one with just what you want to hear in it. But please don't make it like WMP 7 though, and use a static media library that doesn't update when you delete/move/rename a file, that sucks!
I can compromise.... IS THIS WHAT MEDIA LIBRARY WILL DO?
----------------------------------------------------
2. And since you seem to build in some of the more popular plugins, how about building in the plugins that enque a list of directories on START of winamp? I find these plugins most useful and the main reason I use Winamp 2.x over Sonique.

If you do step 1 and 2, I think Winamp 3 will actually be an improvement over Winamp 2.x...otherwise, Winamp 3 seems to me to be just more eyecandy than substance. And graphics are nice...but they sure don't make a product better most of the time. And users will be disappointed only to find out Winamp 3 offers nothing really new.

Old 18th June 2001, 05:17   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

its a damn alpha u newbie
get that into your head

we don't know (not even nullsoft) know what will be included in the complete version WA30000.0000.000.00

post suggestions not insults
Old 18th June 2001, 05:25   #3
Jstalilwyrd
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Jstalilwyrd Send a message via Yahoo to Jstalilwyrd
a-l-p-h-a. Don't have a cow.
Old 18th June 2001, 05:32   #4
Lepre41

Send a message via AIM to Lepre41
I think he's one of the reasons why Nullsoft tries to keep the alpha far away from the general public... if they had an official WA3 skins place on Winamp, or a tab labeled Winamp3, we'd get a lot more of these types of people.
Old 18th June 2001, 06:40   #5
BigStarPlaya

For the playlist playing in a different order, try SHUFFLE!! Some people like to alphabetize their playlist so they can find a certain song that they want to listen to faster.
Old 18th June 2001, 06:52   #6
BigStarPlaya

Quote:
Originally posted by bschuler
And graphics are nice...but they sure don't make a product better most of the time. And users will be disappointed only to find out Winamp 3 offers nothing really new.

Uhh, won't offer anything new??

1. FREE FORM SKINNING
2. Thinger (which is really handy)
3. Multiple playlists in the Playlist Editor
4. Better sound quality...
...need I say more?
Old 18th June 2001, 07:07   #7
Naamloos
Forum King

Quote:

Thou are wrong
Old 18th June 2001, 07:11   #8
BigStarPlaya

Quote:
Originally posted by no*name
Quote:

Thou are wrong
Oops, ok, im wrong on one. let me replace it with...
4. Resizeable(not that I use it)
Old 18th June 2001, 08:00   #9
Jstalilwyrd
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Jstalilwyrd Send a message via Yahoo to Jstalilwyrd
Quote:
Originally posted by BigStarPlaya
For the playlist playing in a different order, try SHUFFLE!! Some people like to alphabetize their playlist so they can find a certain song that they want to listen to faster.
I don't believe shuffle is working on 666. Oh well, next alpha!
Old 18th June 2001, 08:12   #10
scottyc
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to scottyc
Quote:

i have to agree that being able to play songs in a specific, yet not alphabetical order, while still maintaining a full alphabetized list of songs is very nice. WinCue is one 2.x plugin that helps with this. I only use WA3 to try out the new versions, then head back to 2.x, but the media library seems like it suits the purpose pretty well, along with having the flexibility to make LOTS of other things possible.
Old 18th June 2001, 08:12   #11
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
IS THIS WHAT MEDIA LIBRARY WILL DO?
it already does

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 18th June 2001, 08:51   #12
tunah

Send a message via ICQ to tunah
Quote:
Originally posted by Jstalilwyrd
Quote:
I don't believe shuffle is working on 666. Oh well, next alpha!
Works on mine... or did before i nuked windows
if you want 'next' to choose a random song you have to change a setting in the settings file (studio.xnf?) to enable the setting "shuffle on next" or something similar.
Sorry i can't be too specific - I don't know if i want to get around to reinstalling windows, i only use it for wa3 and dreamweaver
(On a related note, has anyone had any success running 666 under linux with WINE? I know 2.x worked...)

Quote:
i have to agree that being able to play songs in a specific, yet not alphabetical order, while still maintaining a full alphabetized list of songs is very nice.
yes! i hate dragging songs around a big playlist.
Old 18th June 2001, 10:26   #13
Th0mL

alt-clicking

I don't know if this is what you mean, but have you tried alt-clikcing on songs in the playlist?

Th0mL
Old 18th June 2001, 13:39   #14
bschuler

>I think he's one of the reasons why Nullsoft tries to keep >the alpha far away from the general public... if they had >an official WA3 skins place on Winamp, or a tab labeled >Winamp3, we'd get a lot more of these types of people.

Yeah, you'd get more disappointed people! I know it's ALPHA, so I'm not saying WINAMP sucks! I'm just saying, where is some of the 1000's of suggestions they got in these forums...why have forums if your not even gonna listen to them? I mean, how hard is it to have Winamp AVS option to start fullscreen? Yet I've seen this request a billion times, and still no indication it will be in there. Guess we need to wait for Winamp 9 for that.

Media Library doesn't work at all on mine, so maybe in the final version it will work exactly like I suggested and want...but alas, so far, no way to know. I sure hope it's an auto enque directory type thing and not like Microsofts MP7 media library that is nothing short of a joke and a major annoyance to it's users. If you don't know, Mp7 media library has a cult following of haters....

Actual useable bonuses for Alpha so far:
Built in crossfade
Resizeable
Better Internet Radio support
Media Library (may be bonus, may be big mistake, dunno)

I omit skin related stuff because (sorry skinners) nobody wants to hear horns when they hit the next button (actual post!) and I find most skins are nothing short of annoying actually.

And before you stone me to death, yeah, they're are a few really cool skins. But just like the millions of AVS presets, most aren't worth the seconds to download or even the name their given.

Old 18th June 2001, 14:08   #15
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by tunah
On a related note, has anyone had any success running 666 under linux with WINE? I know 2.x worked
the next alpha is closer to working (as it will work w/o a systray)

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 18th June 2001, 14:24   #16
}}Killer Wombat{{
Banned

Location: England, currently residing in Wales, soon to be Arizona
i hate the media libary. its useless, get rid of it, it makes life hell.
oh yeah i can turn it off can't i, good. burn in hell damn libary.

Old 18th June 2001, 15:00   #17
hoirkman

if you dont need it then delete library.wac in \wacs\

winamp 3 runs fine without a media library. and it starts up faster without it

btw i like the media library

-hoirkman
Old 18th June 2001, 15:51   #18
scratch

Quote:
I omit skin related stuff because (sorry skinners) nobody wants to hear horns when they hit the next button (actual post!)
By any chance did you notice who made that actual post? It wasn't actually a suggestion, it was an example of the type of thing you'll be able to do in a future version.
Old 18th June 2001, 20:45   #19
bschuler

Scratch,
I know..but you know some jerk will use it...just cuz it is possible, they've done that same level of stupid stuff with winamp 2.x skins! Sick of all those, bland release a skin a day, skins.. well imagine 3.x's.

As far as the media library, does anyone have any insight into what it will be when done? I will kill it if it ends up like MS media player's... but I hope it acts exactly like my original post.. THAT WILL BE AWESOME FOR US REMOTE USERS..... Or atlease give us the ability to option it to a realtime database I hope. A catalog of deleted, moved, and renamed files doesn't exactly excite me....

Old 18th June 2001, 21:03   #20
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
THAT WILL BE AWESOME FOR US REMOTE USERS
you know, if all you want to do is interface your stuff with winamp, you could code your own mp3 player instead.

Old 18th June 2001, 22:45   #21
lunarboy1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
Quote:
THAT WILL BE AWESOME FOR US REMOTE USERS
you know, if all you want to do is interface your stuff with winamp, you could code your own mp3 player instead.
well said
Old 19th June 2001, 00:04   #22
bschuler

For the record...Brennan finally clued me in on a script to make AVS start fullscreen...See my other "WINAMP 3 finally supports remote" post if you need it.

So all in all, I finally have an answer and I take it back...Winamp 3 is no disappointment and I was wrong...

Yes..I admit..I was wrong. Wish I could kill the thread..but alas..

[Edited by bschuler on 06-18-2001 at 07:52 PM]
Old 19th June 2001, 00:18   #23
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

I really dont understand what your problem is. I know it has been said time and time again that it is only an alpha, and i do know that it is wearing thin, but, my impression of wa3 is this:

This is a new version of a previous product, thus, at alpha level at least, it is going to be a replica of the previous version. why? well, because they dont want to lose functionality. I guess after that point woudl be when new ideas are taken into consideration. Dont forget that the dev team probably have their own ideas too, all will need to be thougth over, and possibly implemented, my guess is that some will be pushed as 'plugins/components/whatever';

"If people want that functionality they can always write a component", not the best argument, but true none the less.

I recommend that everyone take this stance while watching development of wa3, I know many people are already, but come on, give it time

CraigF

Old 19th June 2001, 00:53   #24
feid

Forgetting what winamp 3 is??

Hey, is it me, or was the whole reason of making winamp 3 to rewrite winamp 2.x? I thought they wanted to prevent spaghetti code (like windows) and to take all the things which were added onto the main code and rewrite them to actually incorperate them fully? or am I crazy like usual?
Old 19th June 2001, 07:36   #25
tunah

Send a message via ICQ to tunah
Quote:
...I find most skins are nothing short of annoying actually.

And before you stone me to death, yeah, they're are a few really cool skins...
Then those few really cool skins are a definite advantage
Old 19th June 2001, 09:15   #26
neoufo51

WTF?

Very true, CraigF, why do people waste time with such questions? The title of this thread made me think this was another clueless newbie.
Old 19th June 2001, 16:31   #27
bschuler

Flamers, et al;

I wrote the original post and hell no, I am no newbie! Just because you can't answer a question doesn't mean you should FLAME!! ... Please post only when you can answer a question...because you guys FLAME way to much!!! I don't know why, but you all read my posts as attacks instead of the questions that they were!?!..... What the hell is wrong with you guys? Nice forum...axxholes.

And lastly, when someone is critical of a product, you should help them realize it's potential to be that and how it may conform.. NOT SAY, CODE YOUR OWN! Because after all, that is how products are destroyed by the competition...because someone finally does, CODE THEIR OWN.

God, you guys give WINAMP a bad name!
Old 19th June 2001, 16:50   #28
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Well, they wont be able to tell what you said now that you went back and changed it will they.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion