Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

View Poll Results: Is This Tutorial Helpful?
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Kind of 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th February 2002, 21:04   #1
DJ Whodat

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Whodat Send a message via AIM to DJ Whodat Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Whodat
Crossfading That Works

I've searched for a good tutorial on how to setup crossfading my radio station. I've been told that it can't be done. I've been told that it CAN be done. I've been told that you can't crossfade songs, but you can only fade out songs, and then fade the next one in.

Well, I decided to sit down and figure this stupid thing out, and in reality it's quite easy to get songs to overlap and crossfade. Here's how to do it:

1. First, you need a crossfader. You'll need to download SqrSoft's Advanced Crossfader, 'cause I fashioned this tut around that plug-in. You can download it at http://www.winamp.com if you don't already have it.

2. Open up Winamp, along with the SHOUTcast server monitor, and the SHOUTcast source plugin. Both of these things should be running and a song should be playing. Technically you should be broadcasting right now.

3. In Winamp, press ctrl+P to bring up the preferences box.

4. In "DSP/Effect", under "Plug-ins", make sure "(none)" is selected. This will turn off your SHOUTcast source DSP plugin.

5. Now, still under "Plug-ins" in the preferences window, click on "Output" and select "SqrSoft Advanced Crossfading vx.xx", and click the configure button.

6. In the box that pops up, configure your crossfading options within the "Crossfade", "Fade on stop/skip", and "Fade on seek" tabs (see below under HELPFULL HINTS). If you wish, you can play around with the other settings, but you won't need to. Now click the "DSP" tab. Then select "Nullsoft SHOUTcast Source DSP v x.x.x." This will now enable your SHOUTcast source DSP plugin and you should start streaming once again.

This is how it works. You should now have crossfading songs, that overlap and crossfade - AND WITH TITLE NAMES (if you have them in your id3/id3v2 tag).

HELPFULL HINTS:

Fade-in Time: 100%
Fade-in Level: 50%
Fade-in Curve: 0.70

Fade-out Time: 100%
Fade-out Level: 0%
Fade-out Curve: 0.70

Use these settings within the "Crossfade", "Fade on stop/skip", and "Fade on seek" tabs in the SqrSoft Crossfader config. I've found that these settings work the best.

Under the "Buffer" tab, change the "Mixing buffer length" to 16000ms. This will give you a nice 16sec crossfade - you can change, this too obviousy to what you want. It's all my personal suggestions.
DJ Whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2002, 21:52   #2
Sawg

Yes. But output plug-ins does not effect Shoutcast streams. The DSP picks up the signal before an output plug-in gets a hold of it. Unless SqrSoft does something weird. It does sound like it is working though?

If it works I'll see if I can get it added to a tutorial of some kind.
Old 17th February 2002, 22:53   #3
DJ Whodat

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Whodat Send a message via AIM to DJ Whodat Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Whodat
werx for me

Well, let's put it this way. I've seen tuts like this but they're not as clear. I've done what I've said up there, and I can crossfade beautifully on my station. I'm the proof :-p hehe listen to the station and see.
DJ Whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2003, 19:39   #4
amnesia_180

uh..

Hi.

When I play, it echoes and stuff, only when im live on air... i think it might be the buffer settigns or something...

These are my shoutcast settings
Encoder settigns: 32kbps 22.050kHz Mono

Please help.
thanks
amnesia_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2003, 04:06   #5
Eugenes_axe

Send a message via ICQ to Eugenes_axe Send a message via AIM to Eugenes_axe Send a message via Yahoo to Eugenes_axe
it didnt work with me either
Eugenes_axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support