Old 28th April 2003, 10:36   #1
Benco

Media Library bugs in Winamp 2.91

hi,

I found some bugs in the Media Library :

- first, when "column resizing" is set to "proportionnal" or "selected", changing the size of the last column makes winamp crash, saying the problem is from gen_ml.dll. This doesn't occur when using normal column resizing

- when you modify the genre tag with the file info dialog, a number appears in the genre column in the ML, near the genre name (for example "(13)Blues"). I'm not sure, but I believe it's the tag value. You can remove it by editing tags in the ML with the "edit tiem(s) information" dialog
Old 28th April 2003, 10:47   #2
tourettes

'()' as album name (Sigur Ros) causes media library to exclude whole album. Same behaviour occurs in Winamp version 2.90 / 2.91.
Old 28th April 2003, 18:43   #3
ojms

Can't confirm the media library bug, what OS are you on? Are you using an ML addons, like ipod?
Old 29th April 2003, 00:46   #4
spleen

Send a message via ICQ to spleen
New bug.

If album mame is, for example, "'99/'00" (without quotes) then Library
displays only "'00" for me.

edit:
Forgot to mention that I'm using Win2000 and Winamp 2.91.
Old 29th April 2003, 13:22   #5
Benco

oups, sorry, forgot to mention it : I am using w98, without any addon to the ML, nor any "general plugin".
Old 9th May 2003, 13:35   #6
dmmcgove

I am also having the same problem with the parenthesized numbers being inserted before the genre in music library. Some files, however, only have the genre without the number. All files have both id3v1 and id3v2 tags. Version in 2.91 on XP Pro.
Old 9th May 2003, 18:35   #7
AtiUser

Send a message via ICQ to AtiUser
I have the same problem with the numbers before the genre.

Version 2.91 Windows XP Home
Old 9th May 2003, 18:49   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I think we all have . . .
but with me, it's only less than 10% of all 7500 library entries.
The only thing in common is they've all got id3v2 tags . . . I think
Old 9th May 2003, 19:01   #9
Sawg

Winamp is reading the filed as it is. ID3v1 Genre is just a number. ID3v2 you can enter anything. If you select something from the drop-down box Winamp also saves the corresponding number in the ID3v2 field. It's part of the ID3v2 standard.

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#TCON
Quote:
References to the ID3v1 genres can be made by, as first byte, enter "(" followed by a number from the genres list (appendix A) and ended with a ")" character. This is optionally followed by a refinement, e.g. "(21)" or "(4)Eurodisco".
So, in_mp3 is just reading the TCON field (Genre) as is and displaying as it. It should be made to either strip the ID3v2 number or match the number to the ID3v1 type and display that.

(Wow, I did some research)

Old 10th May 2003, 11:10   #10
Thibaut

I would like to report two bug I have found, in relation to the Media Library.
I hope you understand me, I don't speak English very well (I am french)

1) when I change the style (in the "File Info" window) of any Ogg Vorbis file by choosing it (the style) in the DropDown list, the file isn't updated. I have to write the style name letter by letter with the keyboard for the change takes effect.

2) on the Library, for the Audio files, the files (Ogg as well as MP3) whose the Album field is empty are listed in a fictive album which have a strange name : "ogg"
Old 10th May 2003, 19:23   #11
Sawg

If there is no album specified Winamp guesses from the directory it is in. Feature, not bug.

Old 19th May 2003, 04:13   #12
thracx

Send a message via ICQ to thracx Send a message via AIM to thracx
Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
If there is no album specified Winamp guesses from the directory it is in. Feature, not bug.

Do you think you could add an option to turn off this "Feature"?... Winamp doesn't 'assume' a idea for the Track or Year fields, and I think it would be nice if it didn't do it for the Album either..

Nice idea, but I just can't switch back to using Winamp with this 'feature' enabled.
Old 2nd June 2003, 06:36   #13
X-Fixer
Major Dude

yeah, this "feature" should definatelly be made optional. if tag is found there's no need in guessing fields.

and the way ML "guesses", when no tag is found should be made customizable.
Old 26th July 2003, 10:39   #14
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Speaking of media library bugs...

I noticed the following was happening to my OGG tags as I was sorting through my files earlier:

http://www.side-7.us/images/medialibrary.jpg

Seems that whenever the media library pulls whatever characters (UNICODE?) out of the OGG tags (doesn't affect MP3s), it promptly botches it. Note that this does not affect the regular playlist, or playing of the files at all. Additionally, I'm not sure it's unicode because if it was, windows would display it normally (right?) yet to see song titles properly to begin with I have to install a Japanese language plugin (fine by me), then they display normally.

Let me just clarify a few points, lest I get harped on:

I can play files fine.
I can see the characters everywhere _except_ the media library.
Old 27th July 2003, 08:57   #15
LIDER

I see, that microlith noticed the same bug with Ogg unicode in Winamp Library like I(see my Thread "Two minor bugs in Winamp Library or in in_vorbis"). Yes microlith, this is a bug and it seems to be a bug in the plugin(v1.35) not in the library. The characters are displayed properly everywhere except Media Library(but in MP3's unicode are displayed correctly even in library). I think this should be fixed, because it is impossible to find(through library) files with unicode using search feature.
Old 28th July 2003, 11:05   #16
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Almost forgot, this also affects the media library that comes with the 2.95 release that's been floating around.

I've read that this release is already out of date, so I hope this bug too has been whacked.

Long live winamp 2.xx and stuff...
Old 30th July 2003, 01:11   #17
SoulSeeker

Send a message via ICQ to SoulSeeker
The Oops Pop up when i use compact library

When I want to remove the missing items in my library with the compact library feature, there pops up a window saying: oops "Cooperative request outside range" and when i close it another one says "Cooperative update outside range"!!
Is it because i have to much songs?? I have over 4000 entrys in the library now and sudenly this error apears.
And also i can't remove any files manualy from the library too!!
Any one else got this error??
I have XP if that is important.(And the 2.91 of course)

I hope that someone can help me or there is a fixed version soon ;-)
Ciao!!!
Old 30th July 2003, 13:54   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Search results for "Cooperative request outside range"
Old 30th July 2003, 17:36   #19
SoulSeeker

Send a message via ICQ to SoulSeeker
oops! hehe thanx than. Next time i will take a closer look at the other threads ;-)
Old 20th October 2003, 14:51   #20
yoshiweiss

Is it possible to sort Media Library by album, artist, genre? If so how? Thanks
Old 28th December 2003, 19:37   #21
Sunday

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fixer
yeah, this "feature" should definatelly be made optional. if tag is found there's no need in guessing fields.

and the way ML "guesses", when no tag is found should be made customizable.
I Have this Problem to: I have Files with definitely correct ID3tags including Artist, Title, Album, Genre and Tracknumber, But Media Library guesses total weird things from directorys and file names... Crazy... I would like to see this "feature" killed in Next release. Guessing if no ID3 tags are there is ok, but this...
Old 28th December 2003, 20:17   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp 5.01 changelog

* made media library guess from filename only when NO metadata found
* fixed gen_ml guessing bugs for files with metadata that are not in DB
* added gen_ml option for no guessing at all
Old 29th December 2003, 12:24   #23
Sunday

I have Winamp 5.01, but it's still guessing... I reinstalled Winamp 2.91 (doesn't need so much cpu time, that's better) and now it works again.
Old 29th December 2003, 13:55   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Cannot reproduce
Old 29th December 2003, 20:48   #25
Sunday

I figured out, that my MP3s were the Problems. I use MP3Tag as ID3Tag-Editor, and after Files were Edited with it, the ID3 Tags seem to be unreadable for the Medie Library, But When I Press Alt+3 on such a File Everything seems Right. In Winamp 2.91 It Worked one time, then i made a global Update to my MP3s with MP3Tag and then there was the same thing like in Winamp 5. If i now put new Tags into my files, it won't work with media library, but with alt+3. MP3Tag allows to Add "ID3v1", "ID3v2" and "APE" Tags. I think if a File once had an "APE" Tag (although it was removed afterwards) it won't ever work with Media Library. Why does Media Library use other code to read Tags as Winamp itself?
Old 8th March 2004, 18:41   #26
Sunday

Hi
Just forget what i wrote in my post before. I recently solved The Problem and my MP3s were not the Problem. The Problem was a plugin without compatibility für Media Library: The THOMSON MP3pro Input Plugin (it was enabled to handle all .mp3 files). After Disabling this Plugin the Media Library now works correct. I did not think about plugins because I reinstalled winamp many times, but the plugin seems to have survived that. Sorry for posting another Reply after a few months.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports