Old 2nd March 2009, 13:38   #1
Yathosho
Forum King

bug in vis_avs 2.82

apart from being sad about the missing details about what changed in the new version of avs, i want to point out that there seems to be a bug with presets using the texer2.ape (see this post).

i can confirm, that texer2 does not work (no movement). the preset mentioned in the other post does indeed freeze avs, i've attached it in case it helps debugging.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z frost_spikes.7z (3.2 KB, 325 views)
Yathosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:52   #2
EWeiss

Quote:
Originally posted by Yathosho
nevermind, i've already posted it here!
thanks..
your upload not work self problem .. freeze

you have idea why the moduleName not returned ?
is this a bug or not longer used in AVS?
code:

Visheader := getVisHeader;
if Visheader = nil then
Exit;

Vismod[VismodNum] := Visheader.getModule(VismodNum);
Result := Vismod[VismodNum].description;

allways result ''

greets Emil
EWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:10   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yup. We know about these issues.
Nothing's really changed in v2.82 except for added unicode & translation/localization support.
The issue with some presets not working is compile-related.
It took us 2 or 3 years just to get it to finally compile with latest VS.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:16   #4
EWeiss

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Yup. We know about these issues.
Nothing's really changed in v2.82 except for unicode & translation/localization support.
thank you..
not understand this issues
all AVS version work with the Modulename only there give me
allways result '' without any error

ok i will report this to the Developer used BassVis (Vis Wrapper for any Kind of Visualizations Type)

you can test it self with this File
home.arcor.de/em.weiss/Bin.rar

greets Emil

Last edited by EWeiss; 2nd March 2009 at 17:59.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:56   #5
Grandchild

adding to yathosho's post:

right now i can't open any presets using either TexerII, AVStrans(named "eeltrans.ape"), Triangle or a combination of these. i'll attach a pack of mine - i cannot open any of the these without winamp closing immediately (no error message, no windows program-crash-dialog). this happens when i load them via right click menu.
i can load a preset via the editor's "load" function but switching to the next preset ("U") will crash winamp again, this time with the "winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close" or sth -dialog.

if a fix is not feasible, would it be impossible to use the old version (v2.81d) and by that i mean ship winamp with the old version? i mean nothing in avs is localized or translated, is it?
right now users won't be able to see contemporary presets, because they almost certainly use one or more of the powerful apes mentioned above.

on another note, winamp 55 seems to relocate windows that reach over the edge of the screen. for avs this is not so cool as i want the avs window to overlap my secondary monitor to have fullscreen avs. if there is any chance of the avs window getting a special treatment in this, it would be awesome because right now it's a pain (i could still use the old version, i know...)

system specs:
XP SP2 (i think that is all that could possibly matter)

PS:
@emil are you german??
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2008 - grandchild - minipack 03.zip (166.2 KB, 292 views)
Grandchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:38   #6
EWeiss

Quote:
Originally posted by Grandchild
PS:
@emil are you german??
yes i come from it

greets Emil

Last edited by EWeiss; 2nd March 2009 at 18:52.
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:45   #7
DrO

EWeiss: i'm not fully following what you've posted, is bassvis an external loader of winamp plugins? if so then that will need to be updated to support the newer vis plugin header which was introduced for 5.5x allowing (at least the native) plugins to have their titles localised.

@everyone in general:

we reverted it back to the 2.81d version when i first did the 2.82 release for 5.5 (not 5.55). it was thought that it was better to push out 2.82 at last to complete the rest of the localisation of winamp.

the main problem we had before when we tried the 2.82 compile was it not correctly handling some of the presets but no one ever reported the issues we're currently seeing (as have changed from a vc6 to a vc7 compile) plus from what i saw the localisation seemed to change around the ordering of some of the code (indirectly as i did what i could to keep it in the same style/implementation) but then again AVS was always problematic to get it compiling correctly for all presets (and now my P3 laptop won't compile it correctly *shrugs* ).

for the moment i don't know what we can say as i was a bit dubious about releasing 2.82 (again) but will be looking into it as i'm not happy with the quirks that are now being reported and that i've seen (since i've been getting sparodic crashes when it never used to).

if you come up with other issues then please do paste them as i'd like to squash issues as and where we can do.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:15   #8
EWeiss

@DrO
yes is a Wrapper..
Work with all new Plugins inc. the new Plugin version of 5.55
only not AVS 2.82
i have writen my own _API WASABI_SERVICE Unit (Delphi) and it work without any problem.

show here "Winamp Development > Delphi Winamp SDK"

greets Emil
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:00   #9
Grandchild

@drO/djegg
yeah we know AVS is a pile of messy code and i appreciate all the pains you are taking with it to get it to run/compile correctly.
anything else i can do on my end? any testing/more in-depth bug reporting needed?

@emil
nimms mir nicht böse aber dein englisch ist sehr schlecht zu verstehen , vllt kannst du dein problem in deutsch schildern und ich übersetzte es für dich hier?
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:15   #10
EWeiss

@Grandchild
Quote:
nimms mir nicht böse aber dein englisch ist sehr schlecht zu verstehen , vllt kannst du dein problem in deutsch schildern und ich übersetzte es für dich hier
Ich weis .. Englisch ist nicht meine stärke deshalb habe ich auch grosse Schwierigkeiten im Bass Forum den Leuten unterstützung für meinen Wrapper zu geben.

Es ging eigentlich nur darum das die letzte AVS nicht in der lage ist den Namen des Moduls zurückzugeben.
An meiner übersetzen WASABI Unit liegt es nicht denn alle
anderen Plugins funktionieren noch einwandfrei.
Kann mir nicht vorstellen das der VisHeader geändert wurde.
Würde ja bedeuten das kein Plugin mehr funktionieren würde.

Milkdrop und ander funktionieren einwandfrei.

Viele grüße. Emil
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:41   #11
Grandchild

ok, so EWeiss' problem seems to be (as DrO understood correctly) that the plugin header is not returned correctly. Milkdrop seems to be working fine and all other plugins too, just not avs.
well [ http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....06#post2491606 ] that post is understandable i guess.

@emil: I sent you a PM
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:00   #12
EWeiss

Quote:
Milkdrop seems to be working fine and all other plugins too
yes this is what i say
all work only AVS not..
Milkdrop2 used wasabi and as dependencies nscrt.dll
self as AVS.. Milkdrop2 Work with ModuleName AVS(this version) not.
all other AVS is OK!

sorry for my bad english.

greets Emil
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:25   #13
DrO

@EWeiss: where can i download the app you're using just to be able to test things here.

-daz
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:38   #14
EWeiss

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
@EWeiss: where can i download the app you're using just to be able to test things here.

-daz
link remove.. have send PN
avs and milk2 include..

Milk2 work AVS not. (ModuleName)
replace this with 2.81d and it work

greets Emil

Last edited by EWeiss; 3rd March 2009 at 19:35.
Old 14th March 2009, 21:14   #15
piR

Since I have installed the last version of Winamp (5.551) most of my AVS presets do not work anymore !

I have found a big problem with the "getosc()" function. Just try to add this "res=getosc(0.5,0.1,0);" in a Superscope (in the Frame box or the Point box) and it will be out of order just as if a syntax error was detected !

Hope this helps...

Try my AVS packs piR One and piR Two.
Take a look to my last presets on my web site.
piR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 21:35   #16
Grandchild

[/edit, whining removed]

was the new AVS version downloadable before in the beta-release??
if yes, do i need to subscribe to the (whole!) winamp discussion forum to see a new WA-beta/-RC thread?
Old 16th March 2009, 21:41   #17
DrO

Quote:
would it be possible, in the future, to pre-release a new AVS version in the forums just to check whether there are any major hiccups? (like this here)
we did as part of the 5.55 beta releases for a good few weeks but no one commented on it until _after_ the final release *shrugs*

-daz
Old 16th March 2009, 21:46   #18
Grandchild

oh you replied fast!
yeah i realized it must've been in the beta after i posted *slapsforehead*
Old 31st March 2009, 04:34   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I'm attaching vis_avs v2.81d here for now...
just so it's available for anyone who's having problems with v2.82

The zip contains an installer.
Unzip it and, with Winamp closed, run the vis_avs_281d.exe installer.

Note that v2.81d does not support unicode or localization, heh.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vis_avs_281d.zip (165.5 KB, 1173 views)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 23:59   #20
natesuniverse

Send a message via AIM to natesuniverse Send a message via Yahoo to natesuniverse
2.81d

Thank You. Like night and day.

No crash with pre-init enabled or ticking multi cpu support. At least for now a nice steady line using all four cores. None are stuck at 0.

We'll see if it runs through the night. I will post back if it does. Usually would not make it 1 hour before crash.

Nate-Dawg in da house
window'peakin'freakin'tweekin'wreakin'havoc
natesuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 00:11   #21
natesuniverse

Send a message via AIM to natesuniverse Send a message via Yahoo to natesuniverse
Lots fewer presets are blank. Mister Santa has to taken out of fullscreen before rendering properly, but hey that's lots better than it was.

Yeah, my AVS is back.

Nate-Dawg in da house
window'peakin'freakin'tweekin'wreakin'havoc
natesuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 09:00   #22
Bjurran

I experienced a lot of crashing lately, and tried reinstalling winamp, video drivers etc before I found this thread.
My problem was that even with a clean insall of winamp, no other plugins added, asd soon as I turned on the vis, winamp crashed completely.
The 281d works for me.
Machine: Intel Core 2, T2700 @ 2 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, Win XP Pro, Intel Mobile 945 Express Chipset.
Bjurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 22:28   #23
piR

Quote:
Originally posted by piR
Since I have installed the last version of Winamp (5.551) most of my AVS presets do not work anymore !

I have found a big problem with the "getosc()" function. Just try to add this "res=getosc(0.5,0.1,0);" in a Superscope (in the Frame box or the Point box) and it will be out of order just as if a syntax error was detected !
Nothing changes with Winamp 5.552, AVS 2.82 still doesn't work with most of my presets :-(
Everything works fine with 2.81d !

Does anyone have a 2.82 working fine ?

Try my AVS packs piR One and piR Two.
Take a look to my last presets on my web site.
piR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 05:44   #24
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
...what's in 5.552 is the same as what was in 5.55 as 5.551 and 5.552 have only been for security updates and afaik no one has looked into the avs issue...
so no there isn't a working 2.82 compile and until someone looks into the issue you're all going to have to revert to 2.81d (i can only assume that someone else will try to resolve the issue or will just revert it in the installer for the next proper update).

-daz
Old 10th August 2009, 12:07   #25
LigH

I believe that Winamp 5.554 came with AVS 2.81d again, but Winamp 5.56 includes AVS 2.82 again.

Sorry for posting the same story again >here< - must have always searched for the wrong keywords. You'll find there a sample of a colored phase display, using getosc() twice, and failing with AVS 2.82.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:16   #26
aka_zedweb

Windows 7 - AVS

My Winamp 5.56 AVS on fresh Win 7 enterprise had a lot of crashes! Removed it, installed in compatibility mode and Win 7 eye candy disabled when running set on shortcut. It was still functioning poorly with AVS.
Installed the file supplied here by DJ Egg to get AVS back to 2.81d and things seem a lot better!
Hope this helps! Thanks a lot!
aka_zedweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 11:25   #27
VorTechS

I'm not usually one to be opening old threads, but I still have problems with vis_avs.dll running from within my wrapper (hi Emil, fancy seeing you here!) - and as some time has passed I am wonder where things stand with this DLL?

I've been looking a little deeper into things using the 2.81d version of the DLL, and have managed to get a consistent story between my Vista test workstation and my XP development machine, in that a win32 exception is being raised, which on XP is just ignored, but on Vista is triggering DEP causing the calling application to be closed.

I've loaded the latest source into .NET 2k8, and have managed to resolve a couple of issues around ambiguous abs calls, but my C++ coding knowledge isn't that great.

I currently only have about 11 errors to sort out, all along the lines of:

Error 2 error C2383: 'C_RLibrary::rf' : default-arguments are not allowed on this symbol c:\users\vortechs\documents\avs_src\avs\vis_avs\rlib.h 39 vis_avs

at the line:

C_RBASE *(*rf)(char *desc=NULL);

and also the error:

Error 14 error C2198: 'C_RBASE *(__cdecl *)(char *)' : too few arguments for call c:\users\vortechs\documents\avs_src\avs\vis_avs\rlib.cpp 333 vis_avs

on the line:

return RetrFuncs[*which].rf();

Can anyone help me get round these issues, so I can get compiled and running?

Last edited by VorTechS; 14th November 2009 at 12:24.
VorTechS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports