Old 24th January 2004, 21:43   #1
OMFG

Crackle in Winamp 5

When I play an MP3 (or OGG) in Winamp 5, I get a crackle. When I play the same MP3 in WMP 8 (standard XP one), it is fine. In fact, it sounds brighter in WMP. If I EQ the track, it is OK, but I don't want to have to resort to EQing. How do I solve this? I have NO DSP on, it is ALL standard free winamp, default settings, as is WMP. The crackle is clipping on the mid bands. Please don't suggest turning the volume down, this doesn't stop the clipping and I can play it at full volume in WMP (which actually sounds louder than in Winamp). I have looked at other suggestions, none work (e.g. using directsound already)

Also, how do I turn off the gay fade in thing that happens whenever you pause, or move to another section of the track, or go to another track?
OMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2004, 22:27   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

A bit better... still a slight hint of attitude, but better

Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Plugins -> Output -> DirectSound -> config

Device tab:

1) Change the device in the drop down menu from Primary Sound Driver to match the name of your soundcard driver.

2) Checkmark "enable hardware acceleration"

If this is grayed out, then it means your sound card/chip drivers don't support this feature. You might be able to fix this by going to the pc or motherboard manufacturer's website and installing the latest chipset and onboard audio drivers. If it's a pci sound card (as opposed to onboard), then install the mobo chipset drivers (as above) and also visit the soundcard manufacturer's site for the latest sound drivers. DirectX v8.0 or higher is also required, though v9.0c is recommended.

3) If your sound card/chip is old (pre year ~2000/1999 model) or of poor quality
then it is recommended that you checkmark "create primary buffer"
(fixes sound quality problems for old soundcards)

Buffering tab:

1) Checkmark: Enable cpu usage

2) Add some value to the "Buffer Ahead on Track Change" slider,
eg. anything between 300ms and 1200ms

This will smooth out the transition between track changes. The higher the value, the smaller the gap. This feature is ostensibly used to enable gapless playback.

Default main buffer length = 2000ms
Default prebuffer length = 500ms

Fading tab:

1) Hi-lite "on pause/stop" and uncheck "enabled"

This will get rid of your second problem.

2) To disable all other fades/crossfades, repeat for all other entries, although the top three options should already be disabled by default.

Other tab:

(Optional)
1) Checkmark: Remove silence at beginning/end of track
Default "Cut Off" value = -40dB

If you find that the gaps between tracks are now too small, you can either disable this feature, or increase the value (to eg. -50dB or -100dB)

Note: this feature is required for gapless mp3 playback, eg. on mix cd's ripped to mp3.

Re: WMP 8/9
afaik, it uses the SRS Wow Effect by default.

The equivalent plugin for Winamp can be found here.
Note, you need to register it online, but registration is currently free.
Though there's plenty of other excellent free DSP/FX plugins available.
My current fave is the Jammix Enhancer

Let's see if this helps.
btw, you're a very lucky person, hehe
Let us know how it goes...

If the problem persists, then please supply all relevant system specs:
pc or motherboard make/model, cpu/ram, graphics & sound cards, windows os, directx version.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2004, 02:42   #3
OMFG

Well, its 2am so I can't turn the sound up very loud, but all seems ok

Many, many thanks for your help

Sorry for ranting and hurling abuse, I know its not nice to hear unnecessary criticism of a product you spent time producing. I know it doesn't justify it, but there's been an upset in the family that's kinda hit us for six. I guess I was rather *!$£ed off that when I wanted to chill to some music, the music sounded worse than a bowl of Rice Krispies!

If it helps anyone with similar problems, my spec is a P4 2.4GHz on an Asus P4S8X Deluxe, 512Mb DDR333 Samsung RAM, Seagate 120Gb SATA HDD as master, 2x Maxtor 80 UDMA133 as slaves, GeForce 4 Ti4200 128Mb GFX card. (AC97 on board sound, not using my Terratec in this machine).

Of course, I do like winamp! That's why I've been using it since the early days. And I never had Winamp 2 on this machine, which is why I never had the problem before I guess. I had a SB Live Platinum in the other machine.

On the other problem, its kinda growing on me I guess, but I have 2 questions:

What's the default setting for the fade?

Would it be possible to suggest a possible feature for a future update? Separate the pause/stop option - I don't mind a stop fade too much, but its the pause that gets on my nerves!!!
OMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 10:29   #4
Kado

The default fade lenght will make all enabled fades to have that lenght (in ms) unless you "use custom fade time" that will force a specific fade (like the fade on pause/stop") to have a custom time value!

Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 22:11   #5
lordstryker

tried that

I've had similar problems and i've tried all above recommendations. increasing buffer, enabling cpu control, enabling hardware acceleration, have tried increasing cpu priority as well. Mp3's continue to skip and give buzzes for most songs.

Abit Vb-7 mb
DUAL PIII 800mhz
756mb ram
Sound blaster Live! value
directx9.0b
Radeon 9600 graphics card
Windows XP pro

Cpu usage runs between 5-15% when running mp3's, with more then plenty memory free as well. Will skip whether or not im running other applications in the background
lordstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2004, 00:10   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

afaik, SB Live's weren't designed to run with dual processors.
See this thread where in this post a Creative Labs representative said:

QUOTE:
"We do not support systems with multi-processors"

Everything else we know about SB Live/Audigy cards is covered here

Also make sure you've installed the 5.03a update patch

The only other thing I can suggest for now is that you look for and install all chipset driver updates for your motherboard... however, I can't seem to find any info about Abit Vb-7 anywhere. Are you sure that's the correct model # ?

Also note that this thread says "(Fixed)" in the topic title
Old 24th June 2004, 14:34   #7
bklynboy20

These are my specs ... and I've got the crackle issue...

pc or motherboard make/model - SOYO KV7EM pro - DA1
cpu - AMD Duron Processor
ram - 122,352 kb
soundcard - VIA AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
windows os - 2000 pro
directx version - 9.0b

I didn't have this problem when I first started using winamp with win 2000, but then the other day it simply started and none of the tweaks listed in the forum help ... setting it to my soundcard instead of generic just seems to make it worse. The easy answer may be that my computer is a generic piece of crap, but hopefully there's another solution.

Thanks.
bklynboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2004, 21:23   #8
brokenticker

Send a message via Yahoo to brokenticker
Have been reading through the threads looking for a solution to the pops and crackles I get in my music tracks. I have tried everything you guy's have mentioned but I don't think it's a problem with the player I having, I think that the player is ripping the noise from the cd's themselves. Can you recommend a "good" and simple noise filter plug-in to remove the unwanted noise in audio tracks?

Win XP SP1
Intel D875PBZ(no onboard audio)
P4 3.2ghz
SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum
2048mb PC3200 400mhz
DirectX 9.0b
Creative Soundworks Playworks 5.1 speakers

All the drivers are up to date, but I don't think it's a driver issue anyway.

The Audigy2 apps have a built-in filter for this kind of noise but alas it only wil work with their DVD player program(go figure).

Personally, if I can still hear myself think, then it's not loud enough, but I would perfer to not blow my speakers with the excess noise. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thx.
brokenticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2004, 22:31   #9
gaekwad2
Foorum King

EAC includes a tool to remove pops and glitches (and a secure ripping mode that prevents them from happening in the first place).

A noise filter will only remove constant noise.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2004, 03:33   #10
Grantley

Digital '0' crackle

Here's another suggestion for crackle problem solving.
I am using an AUDACITY 7.1 PCI soundcard with digital OPTICAL outputs into a Sony Multichannel Home theatre amplifier. I was getting the same crackling from Winamp but also other audio editing & replay applications.What I found was that the soundcard was being overdriven in the SPDIF output section at the digital zero level and causing the signal to clip which results in a crackle or audio 'splat' where the signal reaches the limit. If you are using a similar setup, goto the mixer level control section for your soundcard & back off the 'PCM SPDIF' level a notch or two. Cheers.
Grantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 00:01   #11
TheShah

Fixed my crackle pop and hiss sound

After a lot of frustration and performing a serious process of elimination to my hardware I eventually discovered that if I moved my second hard drive from the Secondary to the Primary IDE channel on the motherboard, I no longer had the hissing and crackling problems.

I'm not sure exactly why this is, but I do know that when my second drive was on the secondary IDE channel and it was accessed in any way (it was my temp and paging disk so consequently accessed a lot!), it would cause not just WinAmp and Windows Media Player to crackle but even the mouse would freeze for a fraction of a second every couple of seconds. I would say it's some kind of a fault of my motherboard's (Thanks for selling me your dodgy kit Ed!) , although it's fine reading CDs from the secondary IDE channel.

Anyway, although it's highly unlikely this will be the reason for anyone else's crackles, it's certainly worth a quick try, and also will help other sufferers of this problem to perhaps look down other avenues and try their own process of elimination at a base level.

Another tip for anyone with this problem would be to end each process in the Task Manager one at a time to see if there is any particular program running that is hogging the CPU thus causing glitches in the sound.
TheShah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 04:10   #12
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
I had the same problems but the answer to the problem in my case was my mouse.

I have a Logitech MediaPlay usb wireless mouse ..the software that comes with it lets you open Winamp5 ..WiMP and a few others by a button push on the mouse itself .. well the program detection started getting flaky ..sometimes the media button on the mouse would open winamp and sometimes it wouldn't ..I change and recharge my batteries daily ..but now you might think this couldn't have been the cause but I uninstalled then reinstalled setpoint 2.14( the logitech software and latest version) and the clicks and hisses stopped

<edit>also the EQ in the Realtek AC'97 drivers was turned on and the output gain was jacked up as well .. but the clicks and hisses didn't stop til I uninstalled and reinstalled setpoint</edit>
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 11:36   #13
muf

I have also had the same issue ever since Winamp5 came out (I avoided Winamp3 for obvious reasons), and have kept going back to Winamp2, which doesn't have this crackle/pop "feature". Though Winamp2 has its own quirks (most notable of which is the inability to play files with filenames outside the current system ANSI codepage), so I've kept coming back to Winamp5, then getting annoyed with the pops, and then switching back to Winamp2. This time I'd like to just get a solution instead. I know they're not in the original recordings, because a) Winamp2 plays them fine, and b) it happens with both MP3s and generated music, such as MODs, XMs, SIDs, NFS, etc. Generally being a troubleshooter I've tried most settings, the primary buffer thing, all of the other stuff mentioned in here, etc. It's also not my hardware (I think), it's happened across different machines with different (though all in common that the soundchip in question was onboard) motherboards and soundchips.

Current b0rking setup:
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Certified: yes, emulated: no
Supports sample rates from 100 Hz to 48000 Hz (continuous)
Hardware memory: N/A
Hardware mixing: supported, 31 free streams (33 max)
Speaker setup: stereo

In a few weeks/months I'm getting this thing, which will resolve all of the audio issues I'm currently having (most important of which is electromagnetic interference)-- EXCEPT this one. Anyone any ideas left?
muf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 00:21   #14
Khruschev

Hi

I have the same problem. I tried to tweak my DSP settings and it still crackles here and there. By crackle I mean I can hear an actual crackle, or the music would kind of skip a bit, or sometimes even a really fast staccato playback. I recently had to reinstall everything, and this problem has only arisen after my reinstallation of Windows XP. System Specs:

Dell Dimension 4600
P4 2.4 Ghz CPU
1.25 Gb DDR Single Channel RAM
4 Hard drives (2 hooked up by PCI-IDE Adapter)
GeForce FX 5200 128 Mb Video card
DirectX 9.0C
2 DVD drives
SoundMAX (Built in) audio card.

"We are only barcodes to the AP Free Response graders."
Khruschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 00:35   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

DSP settings? You mean you're using some 3rd-party DSP/Effects plugin?
Old 24th January 2006, 01:07   #16
Khruschev

No, I am referring to "Direct Sound" settings instructions you gave earlier. I only have 1 plugin and thats for automatic shutdown. Also, I am using Win XP SP2 with all updates running.

"We are only barcodes to the AP Free Response graders."
Khruschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:08   #17
Ryebread

I have been using winamp lite for a few months now, having no problems. Suddenly I go to play a song and although it says that its playing, I hear no sound. I hear sound from everything else, clicking when I choose something on my desk top, sounds on the internet, and my songs play fine in Windows media player. I have checked the volume on it, and its all the way up. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe somewhere there is a mute that I pushed and couldn't find again. I have tried everything, even uninstalling winamp, rebooting, and then reinstalling. I have run spyware checks, virus checks, I haven't installed/uninstalled any new programs, and I have been through your site trying to find an answer as well as following the directions for a crackling noise; to no avail. Please help, I love using winamp and I want it back. Thanks so much, ~N
Ryebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 14:07   #18
sushikat

No sound

I have had the same problem as Ryebread (and I apologize if I am reviving a dead topic, but this is where the help page directed me, so I figured here would be the best spot to post it) - no sound in Winamp, but there is sound in everything else: desktop, other programs, etc. I have tried the suggested solutions on this page, all to no avail. Please let me know what I can do!

System specs (log of plug-in's attached):

-Gateway 61.01 Model 6520GZ
-Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz, 512 MB RAM
-Sound card or chip: Conexant AC-Link 2 Channel Audio
-Videocard: Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
-Windows XP 5.1.2600
-DirectX version (start > run > dxdiag)
-Winamp version 5.35
-WinAmp Full
Attached Files
File Type: zip plugins+hijackthis.zip (5.2 KB, 1035 views)
sushikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 17:59   #19
kiloalfa

Sound and ML problems

Hello
I hope this is not a dead topic, because the problem I experience since a while ago is pretty same as previously described. I am using Winamp for a long time without any problem. Now it plays mp3 with unstable speed and crackle (scratch sounds?). The song itself hardly recognisable plus if I trying to choose them from Media library it skips some items in playlist editor (I did not even touched it) and then play something else. If I play video using Winamp then everything is fine. The system and everything was installed yesterday on a new drive. Could the installation of MS Visual Studio or the ffdshow cause the problem? (Included DxDiag.log)
kiloalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 18:09   #20
kiloalfa

Sorry
I hope this time the log will be attached!
Attached Files
File Type: rar dxdiag.rar (9.8 KB, 3764 views)
kiloalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 15:59   #21
Skrypskja

I just have to say thanks to TheShah for his hint which solved all my computer problems.
I also had that crackling sound when I opened any program while playing a song, and when I opening to many programs, my pc would crash.
After reading his post I checked my hard drive, but it looked fine, as it was attached to primary. I thought, can't make it any worse and attached it to secondary, now it runs nicely, can't get the music to crackle or the computer to crash.
Skrypskja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:23   #22
Clira14

Send a message via ICQ to Clira14
Winamp does not play mp3s (or it plays them intermittently)

Hello,

I have a problem with Winamp 5.541, when I want to play mp3s some of them are played ok, some of them are played intermittently (a kind of a strange chopped sound), some of them aren't played at all (but their duration is displayed fine) and some of them aren't played at all and durations of them are 0:00. All these mp3 work fine with my other players (e.q. VLC). I make a very clean uninstal and instal Winamp once more but it's still the same. Please, what can I do?
I tried all things written donw in here, but it seems not working. Some time ago it plays ok, but now something had happened and I dont know what to do with it.

..I include my_plugin_list.txt and I can sent hijackthis.txt as well if required.

Thnx a lot.

Clira
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (8.3 KB, 1025 views)
Clira14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:24   #23
Clira14

Here is hijackthis.txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (8.3 KB, 1009 views)
Old 9th April 2009, 14:36   #24
DionysusSmirked

I apologize for bringing up an old thread; But, the stutter and cackle problem only recently started happening to me. I've tried every-thing listed in this thread, and even tried uninstalling, and "rolling back" to version 5.3.

I've only found this thread dealing with the subject, and one other which offers the same main solution. I'm noticing from this thread that I'm not the only person who has been unable to resolve this issue. So, is the "bottom line" then that - For some us - absolutely no "fix" has been found? Shame that. It's looks like I'm stuck using Windows MediaPlayer from now on then.
DionysusSmirked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 14:50   #25
Clira14

to DionysusSmirke about my problem...

...my problem was connected with some issue inside mp3s I wanted to play. Some time ago I copied them from one disc to another and after that my Avira free antivirus find somthing called like "get codec gen" (somthing simmilar) and marked it as virus. I also was able to play some of them in WMP and them didnt play in Winamp. Everything I could do was to say goodbye all of them. Just try to scan it with this antivir, if it isnt the same problem. When did you first notice such behaviour of Winamp?
Old 9th April 2009, 16:14   #26
DionysusSmirked

Thanks for the in-put, Clira. I ran a full scan with Norton 360 and every-thing came up clean. And, the files play fine in Windows MediaPlayer. I only noticed the problem a couple of nights a-go; But, as rare as it is for me, I hadn't used WinAmp in a little over a month prior.

By the way, I just tried a FLAC file and had the same problem with WinAmp. I all-so tried a compact disc with similar results (All-Though, the crackling wasn't quite as bad with the disc).
Old 9th April 2009, 18:36   #27
Clira14

so then, it seems to be something different from my issue... i had no problems with CDs or any other files like wav or ogg (except the copied ones - propably mines were just damaged somehow)
Old 9th April 2009, 18:38   #28
Clira14

or just one advise, maybe, try to use the same antivir as I did...
Old 9th April 2009, 18:41   #29
Clira14

I also wonder, if u didnt (re-)instal something that could be connected with this matter.
I remember - I also tried to reinstal winamp for several times - no solution for this problem.
Is there any mp3 you can play normaly? Or all of them plays such way?
Old 10th April 2009, 07:42   #30
DionysusSmirked

I've tried a number of MP3s and they all crackle in Winamp. The only files that I can't uninstall (Vista won't even let me delete them) are the three "Elevator" files which were installed with the latest version. I believe that they're for the new "rip" feature (Which, I don't even know why I installed as I'm all-ready quite pleased with "FreeRip").

Post-Script: Okay, now I'm really pissed. Not only will Windows MediaPlayer not play my folders in numerical/alphabetical order (I don't know why I assumed that it would. Spoiled by all of those years of WinAmp mayhaps?); But, it won't allow me to play M4a files at all! Is there an-other decent (And, free) third-party player out there? I'm obviously not going to get WinAmp working again absent reformatting my hard-drive (And, I really don't want to have to do that).

By the way, am I the only person who gets confused trying to navigate this site when trying to log-in?

Last edited by DionysusSmirked; 10th April 2009 at 08:55.
Old 12th October 2010, 23:23   #31
burger2227

The above solutions do not help!

If I can play music with Windows Media Player, then Winamp SHOULD work too!

It's a good thing I only tried the FREE edition. I would NOT want to have to TRY to get my money back. Your player has been around FOR YEARS! You should have at LEAST gotten it to work WITH other programs running!

WHEN do you suppose people play music? When they are on the PC doing something else perhaps?

VERY disappointing,

Ted
burger2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 13:44   #32
FaeGiN

Wow Ted you ever thought that perhaps it is YOUR PC that is the problem?
I have used this software for years. Since the year it came out if I remember and with all of the computers I have gone through and set up for others in all that time, winamp has ALWAYS been on them and ALWAYS worked.
I should mention that I always have about 60-80processes running on my PC and that would be for years, even back to windows 98.
How do you explain that?
Anyway, get some anger management classes...

Fae
FaeGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 02:36   #33
gangster3591

Crackling Sound in Winamp

Many thanks to DJ Egg for his 'crackle' solution. Worked like a charm. The player sounds just marvelous - totally blows away everything else I've used.
It's a brilliant piece of work. Developers deserve to be proud of it.
Cheers

[Dell Dimension 3000, Win XP, Yamaha sound card]
gangster3591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support