Old 20th July 2000, 06:18   #1
wisanggeni

OK! This is a second time i realise that, Winamp really DOES! restarting my new O/S.
So somebody HEEELLPPP!!!!
wisanggeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2000, 23:52   #2
Konfuz0r

dude,
what's yer OS and when did ya install winamp (version), did it start right away?
IOW... need some more details
Konfuz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 03:37   #3
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Wow, you're actually being helpful. Who would have thought it was possible? I didn't.

------------------
http://iomegajaz.cjb.net
iomega_jaz@hotmail.com
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 06:40   #4
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

Yeah right..i think it's a ploy...besides...whoever this is has a tone of cockiness about themselves

------------------
SexyLoserKitten1@aol.com

Sex without foreplay is like drinking without getting drunk...
SexyLoserKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 06:49   #5
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

He's not being that helpful. The only question he asked that wasn't answered in the thread topic is whether the problem started right away.
BTW, what does IOW stand for?
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2000, 07:20   #6
wisanggeni

HI!
It's me the topic starter.
For the details ; I'm installing my Winamp on Win2k. But it's never being a big deal when I'm still on my Win98. I know Winamp are pretty good software though ...and the restarting part begin after several minutes... (I'm not sure) but it is! really happend!
Anyway... I know u people are not one of those nullsoft programmers, so please don't make any un-relevant comment.
This topic I started, just to let anyone else, planing on upgrading their O/S or installing Window Me know whst MIGHT! happend if..

'K thx.
Old 24th July 2000, 08:05   #7
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

fyi, windows me and windows 2k are not the same thing. windows millenium is a feeble attempt to hack the win 9x code one last time. windows 2000 is the first decent os microsoft has managed to write.
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2000, 12:16   #8
wisanggeni

YO! Mr. Ice
I know what's diferent from Windows Me and Win2k. By the way... that's not explained why it's restarted

*I have dual O/S on one machine ; Windows Me/Windows 2000 Profesional. Pentium III/128 RAM.

Windows Me run on minimal configurations.
I used Windows Me in purposed to playing games, such ; DIABLO II, etc..
But thing occured, when I just finished my first installation of Windows Me.
The installation works fine
After several ours (perhaps), sudenly my comps. reboting.
Without any clue... I put nothin' BAD o'my mine. So I start to run my Photoshop 5.5 for a while to implement my idea of design (I'm a designer), then *POOF*
...continued with the rest o'my mine......but this time I'm not using any software except my Photoshop 5.5.
They're fine
I try DIABLO II.......then I can't sleep with it for 3 whole days! ...and they're fine! ...and I encouraged to used another software. 'Till now, they're fine.

Well, that's it
Old 27th July 2000, 10:06   #9
driller

In reply to wisanggeni:
I have pretty much the same configuration as u have: WinMe/Win2K dual OS, PIII 600, 128MB.

I'm not having any problems with winamp whatsoever (v2.64) It runs smoothly and with no reboots or any kind of glitches, even when I have tons of applications open at the same time.

My guess is that u r having a sound card/driver problem with WinMe! Does this problem happens with any other audio app? On the other hand it maybe a power management problem with WinMe and ur hardware, not sure tho.
Old 27th July 2000, 12:56   #10
wisanggeni

Hi, driller.
I've check my H/D... There's nothin' wrong. ...I've been testing it out with some old version o'Good Old-WinAmp, they're fine. ...running my old software DOS/non-DOS, they're smooth.

All I can found out about Windows Me, is; They won't let any changes to some "VITAL" point. It'll restore everything in background, in order to prevent the "Blue Screen" issue for more.

*WinAmp 2.64 has already run with my previous O/S, they're fine. Real fine!
*I'm not running any plug-in...
*I use the Default skin either!! ..if that's necessary to BE mention j/k

Oh, yeah!
I have "THIS!"
One o'my staff, had the very same trouble. ...and the H/D are no-way! had a similar with mine.
...only ; he's WinAmp CRASHIN' - Mine's *POOF*

Funny, eh?
Old 27th July 2000, 22:54   #11
driller

Well wisanggeni,
That's pretty weird!! Sometimes I can't just figure out the problem remotely, u know, one has to experiment himself to be able to figure out what's wrong.

But anyway, something popped up to my mind that might be related to ur problem. WinMe comes with what's called System Restore utility, which can restore ur computer settings if u messed up with some system stuff. In order to be able to do that, WinMe takes a snapshot of the system at checkpoints. My guess is that MAYBE WinMe is rebooting during those checkpoints while winamp is running for some reason.

Try disabling "PCHealth" and "StateMgr" from the starting up with windows (use the "msconfig" utility). Reboot, and see if the problem happens again.
Old 28th July 2000, 14:44   #12
wisanggeni

Hi, driller.
I'm trying to use your tips... they're not workin', even though I have my 7th finger crossin'...
...think I'll move back to My win2k. Afterall... it's more powerfull.
...maybe I'll just let my Windows Me with the rest o'my games in peace. ...cause it's kinda hurt, when things "GO DOWN" on you.

*I remember those semi-circle design I got on my mind...
*Try to imagine how it turns into......*BLANK*
Old 29th December 2000, 07:06   #13
ilikeoranges

windows power management

I came here to search for a solution and find a discussion trying to figure out the problem. OK, I don't know if this is the same problem, but here's what my WinME computer does. When power management is set to shut off the computer, if winamp is running, the computer shuts off winamp and won't turn back on. It doesn't happen if winamp isnt playing, regardless of whether its on or not. It doesnt happen if something else is playing. I'm gonna try the above suggestion of turning on the winamp agent and I'll keep searching here and microsoft for answers, but if anyone else has a solution, PLEEEASSE help me! I wanna be able to listen to my mp3s without my computer randomly rebooting.
ilikeoranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2001, 06:31   #14
KushanX

bizzare bug when playing .cda files in Win2K Pro SP1

Well, I have the same problem with wisanggeni, but more unusual...
This only began to occur recently, a week after I installed v2.71 on win2K. When I first began to play cda files on winamp, it worked fine. However, just a few days ago, whenever the program reads a cda file, and I want to open the CD-ROM to change discs, the entire screen would flicker to black, and the computer reboots, without any indictaion of what just happened. In one of these instances, it switched to a blue screen with some sort of program coding, and it froze there. Another time, when I didn't open it and wasn't really aware of the problem, I played my mp3s, and they played at 2x speed. This 2x speed also applied to all of my sound files, and, just for fun, played Starcraft to see if this bug affected the sounds in the game, which it did. The only files that were unaffected by this bug were the cda. Anyone know the reason as to why this happened?
KushanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2001, 23:05   #15
ElmoTheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to ElmoTheGreat
Reply to original post

I'm not sure if this relates to your problem, but...

I had a similar problem with my machine rebooting (Win98 and ME both). Whenever the soundcard was playing, and I tried to play DirectX games, or let power management startup, the machine would immediately reboot. It had nothing to do with winamp. It would happen when any windows program was using the soundcard for anything except CD audio.

I shuffled soundcard drivers, and eventually found one that eliminated the reboot; but this caused headaches in other areas. When I changed soundcards from a cheap Yamaha YMF-724 to a Soundblaster Live, the problem stopped.

Try reproducing the problem with some other player (windows media, real player, etc...) and see if it does the same thing. If so, then I'd check my soundcard drivers.
ElmoTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 11:02   #16
jeremytay84

Send a message via ICQ to jeremytay84
downloaded 2.64 and 2.67 and system still restarts

I have downloaded winamp 2.64 and 2.67 and even reinstalled them once... however when I play audio files (be it mp3 or in audio cd format) the system restarts itself after playing the audio for sometime...it does not show any error msgs at all... my operating system is windows 98. with a sound blaster 16 sound card

can anyone help? I really can't do without a winamp that can play me my favourite tunes...thanks a lot...
jeremytay84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 11:17   #17
scottyc
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to scottyc
who is driller and what is this guest stuff?? did i miss something?
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 12:12   #18
wspencer

All ye hear me....He who has the rebooting problem, what sound card's are you using? I am currently installing
Win ME(Microsoft need to appologize for this) on my windows 2000 pro machine. I'll try to recreate the problem and slove it. (yes i have no life.)
wspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2001, 14:58   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by scottyc
who is driller and what is this guest stuff?? did i miss something?
This thread was originally started almost one year ago.
Back in those days we were still using the Ultimate Bulletin Board (ubb) software and registration wasn't an obligatory factor. Anyone could post, but you would have the "guest" status until you became a fully fledged registered member.
With vB, registration is now obligatory, otherwise you can only view posts but not make any.
You can see how many guests are currently on the forums by looking at the bottom of the forum homepage.

jeremytay
Upgrade to Winamp 2.76
Reinstall your soundcard drivers
Reinstall your videocard drivers
Reinstall DirectX

I'm pretty certain that this rebooting problem has got nothing to do with Winamp and is solely a Windows or hardware drivers related bug.

It might also be a good idea to run scandisk and also check your full HD for any viruses.

The only thing Winamp-wise that could be causing this problem is if you've maybe installed some dodgy 3rd party plugin/s, possibly of the General Purpose variety.
Have you installed any 3rd party plugins?

wspencer
I've never heard of this happening before with WinME.
jeremytay is using Win98.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2001, 06:44   #20
jeremytay84

well thanks for the advice dj egg... but what is the 3rd party plug in... if I recently installed a 2nd so called C drive into my computer and a net-pc-phone...are those considered 3rd party plug ins? and erm what do you mean by reinstalling sound and video card drivers? u mean take out the silicon board? or just reinstalling the software? (sorry u are talking to a computer-term-dumbo here :P)

btw I have scanned for viruses and nothing is affected...but have yet to run a full scandisk...will try that

thanks for the help
Old 8th July 2001, 18:56   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Whoosh!

By 3rd party plugins, I was referring to Winamp only.
I'm assuming this means you haven't installed any, otherwise you'd know what they are!

http://www.winamp.com/plugins

3rd party plugins are extras made by non-Nullsoft programmers.

You can view the list of 1st party default Nullsoft plugins by going to Winamp Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Plugins (expand the subsections)
Input plugins take care of all the different formats, eg.
Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder (in_mp3.dll) handles your MP3 files.
Output plugins take care of audio output, eg.
Nullsoft WaveOut sends the audio to your soundcard for normal playback.
Nullsoft DiskWriter converts tracks to WAV format . . . etc.
DSP Plugins are used for extra sound enhancement & effects.
Visualisation plugins produce pretty graphics (when selected & enabled)
General Purpose plugins add extra features to Winamp & a fair few of them have been known to cause problems under certain system specifications.

However, as I've already said, it doesn't seem like you've installed any, so it can't be 3rd party plugins that are causing your problem . . .
. . . unless you've got an SBLive soundcard & have installed PlayCenter2
details: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=49692
This is the one & only known case where a 3rd party plugin gets installed without the user being made aware.

Re: reinstalling soundcard drivers.
Yes, I meant the software required for them to work (drivers)
If you have an accompanying CD-ROM for both cards, use them to reinstall the drivers.
Otherwise, goto the respective manufacturers' websites and download & install the correct & latest available drivers.

sb16 drivers can be found here:
http://www.soundblaster.com/drivers

btw, sb16 soundcards are very old.
You really should consider upgrading the hardware to an SBLive.

If you need help locating a website for your videocard drivers, tell us what make & model you have (details c/o System Control Panel -> Device Manager)

For someone who says he's "a computer-term dumbo", you seem to know how to install a secondary hard-drive and a net-pc-phone.
Are you sure you installed them properly?
Did the problem begin after you installed one of these?
Old 9th July 2001, 14:59   #22
jeremytay84

well I have installed a 3rd party plugin :P yes I did install some visualization stuffs d/lded from www.winamp.com...

and btw I don't have the desire to install newer sound cards because as long as they produce sound...it's fine with me...

and anyway the netpcphone and the secondary drive is installed by my brother....not me....but he's overseas now...so can't get his help...

but whether did the problem come after I installed the two stuffs? not very sure...I installed them soon after I reinstalled winamp (because i formatted my computer)

Old 9th July 2001, 19:25   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okaaaaaay . . .

Which vis plugins did you install?
Is one of them active?

Goto: Prefs -> Plugins
Uncheck: auto-execute vis plugin on play

Now, does the problem still occur?
If not, then it's either something to do with the vis plugin, or it's configuration, or there's a problem with either your videocard drivers or your DirectX installation.
We'll go into the details later, if needs be.

If the problem still persists, even after disabling this option, report back here. Either way, let me know how ya get on . . . and we'll take things from there.
Old 10th July 2001, 03:39   #24
abdulla

Send a message via ICQ to abdulla
its got nothing to do with winamp, its to do with win2k, it is automatically set to restart on any error, do this to turn it off >>

right click my computer > properties > advanced tab > startup and recovery > uncheck automatically reboot
abdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2001, 14:13   #25
wspencer

abdulla, That is is not the thing to do. That option was made available to prevent data loss. If jeremytay84 does that then w2k will crash and the system will have to be re-installed. Setting windows to not restart on encountering an error is not recomended. (This is comming for a windows programmer.)
wspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2001, 19:27   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

...especially seeing JeremyTay's OS is Win98
...and the thread title relates to WinME
...sooooooooo, what's Win2k got to do with anything here?
LOL
Old 22nd August 2001, 14:50   #27
jeremytay84

does changing sound card help?

well it's back to the same problem...the system restarts almost everytime I play an mp3 or even a CDA file...(although that problems does not pop up if I am lucky enough)

what I would like to ask is that does changing the sound card help? mine currently is soundblaster16...(old yeah?)....erm any recommandations of cheap yet good sound cards? (easy to install ones preferred also)

or any other solutions into solving the problem?
Old 22nd August 2001, 19:50   #28
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If I knew what was causing the problem in the first place, then yes, I'm sure there'd be a simple solution.

I'm pretty certain I've already given you all the advice possible above, but I don't know yet if you've carried any of it out? Any confirmations?

Does the problem occur with other players, eg. WinMediaPlayer, CDPlayer, or RealPlayer, or is it solely restricted to Winamp?

If Winamp only, did you remove those 3rd party plugins yet?
Have you tried the basic uninstall -> reinstall method?

What version of DirectX is installed?
Default with Win98 is DXv6
You should consider upgrading to v7.0a (recommended)
If you've already upgraded to v8, then upgrade again to v8.0a
However, if you've never upgraded DirectX, I don't recommend v8 at all for Win98. Stick with v7.0a.
DirectX details c/o start -> run -> dxdiag

DirectX Upgrades
DX v7.0a | DX v8.0a

Now try using the DirectSound Output plugin, instead of the defaul WaveOut.
A good reference thread can be found here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=32363
Check out the [addendum] section in my main post.

You could also try fiddling around with the Winamp config a little.

Troubleshooter Guides:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....827#post275827
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....166#post308166

You should also run ScanDisk & VirusScan too.

Like I say, I'm clutching at straws here, 'cos I've not really got a clue what the problem is
I mean, you still haven't given us your full sys specs, eg. PC Manufacturer, CPU+speed, motherboard, videocard, etc (ok, you've got an SB16 & Win98, that's all I know so far).
Have you got ALL the latest & correct drivers?
A list of concurrently running programs might help too.

And, if you're looking to upgrade the soundcard, SBLive Value's are fairly cheap & reliable. Just turn the pc off, physically take out the old card, put the new one in, turn the pc back on, insert the SBLive Value CD-ROM and install the drivers. Simple!

More advice on choice of soundcard can be found in this thread, though some of those mentioned are probably quite expensive.
http://64.12.38.241/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57617
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports